Preparing plaster for paint

Options

Comments

• misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    can I get this at any DIY store? - I'm also wondering about the finish coat as its in a kitchen/utility/ shower area & I thought I would have to use the kitchen/bathroom paint but I would prefer a matt finish - have you used the Dulux wipeable matt in a 'water' area?

many thanx

I have used ordinary Dulux matt loads of times on bathroom and kitchen ceilings, as most of my clients want a matt finish, and I have never had any problems.
    Depending on how many people use the shower in a day, if you have a big family, who are always in the shower, then you might be better with the bathroom paint, even though its got a sheen to it.
    As it happens, I am painting a bathroom, and also a bedroom with the ensuite, because the ensuite is small, and gets used a lot, I am using the bathroom paint on the ensuite for the ceiling, but just using ordinary emulsion on the bigger bathroom ceiling.

Again, I will say, if you are using Dulux on the ceilings, I would still slightly water it down even if its been previously painted, I always do, not for cheapness or anything, but if its too thick it can be a flippen nightmare.:eek:
  • handyman.
    handyman. Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    you get dulux trade supermatt in bnq warehouse.......not in most superstores
    go on, adopt a greyhound
    http://www.dgrescue.org.uk/
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    Have you ever used 'gliddens' handyman?, I used it a good few years back,and couldnt remember what it was like, but had used it again very recently, the Undercoat and the emulsion, and I was very impressed by the thickness and the coverage of both.
    havent used the gloss or satinwood yet, but if its anything like the other two, I will definately give a go.

I got them both from my local decorating shop, as they were on offer, and 'gliddens' is ICI the makers of dulux, but its for the american market, but I didnt see any difference in the finish whatsoever.
  • handyman.
    handyman. Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    gliddens, yes, its good. I use it on freshin up jobs, as it doesnt cover as well as dulux trade matt (not much in it, but not quite as good)

Not used gliddens in anything other than matt emulsion yet
    go on, adopt a greyhound
    http://www.dgrescue.org.uk/
  • mollysmum32
    Options
    We are about to paint our newly skimmed walls so reading all the posts with interest.
    I think we've decided on Crown one coat but can someone tell me why you can only get the one coat stuff in a matt finish not silk, we've always used silk paint before but want to get our room finished for a party in 3 weeks time!

Erica
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you chosing Crown one coat because of the colours avialable or because it's one coat.

The stores with the Dulux paint mixing machines should be able to match any colour and the paints are available in matt, silk and gloss - don't know if there is a one coat option. This may be an option if you want a particular colour in a silk finish.
  • moob_2
    moob_2 Posts: 485 Forumite
    Options
    We are about to paint our newly skimmed walls so reading all the posts with interest.
    I think we've decided on Crown one coat but can someone tell me why you can only get the one coat stuff in a matt finish not silk, we've always used silk paint before but want to get our room finished for a party in 3 weeks time!

Erica

In my experience, these One Coat paints are worthless. I've used them countless times, and they always need at least another coat.

Ensure you do prep the walls with a miscoat as described, and get Dulux Trade Paint too, it's far superior.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    misgrace wrote: »
    Go for Matt, you can get away with using Vinyl matt for a skim plaster, but dont use silk or soft sheen.
    What's the reason for this?
    I prefer using silk cos of 2 young children and their grubby mitts! Just had several rooms re-plastered, and need to know before I go get the paint.
  • ian&ruth67
    Options
    Just going to put the cat amongst the pigeons,:j :j :j

All you need is to go along to wickes and purchase a large tub of "Paint for new plaster" its in the trade section, works a treat, just water down slightly for first coat then normal for second coat, then its ready for your choice of colour :beer: :beer: :beer:

hope this helps
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    Options
    I have used watered down PVA before painting for many years and had no problems what so ever the only problems I have had is when I used thinned emulsion then it comes off like sheets of paper, but there again it might depend on what brand PVA you use some are useless.

gary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport