Painting New Plaster

Comments

• misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    I had my living room re plastered 4 weeks ago.
    I have had a painter round and she said there is a new paint out that can go straight onto the walls-so that is what I am having done next week.

I am only having the walls white-I am happy with that and the walls are dry now.

Actually its not a new paint as such, yes there is paint that you can paint on wet plaster, or plaster that is drying out, but depends on what plastering you have had done.

If you only had a skimmed plaster, then you wait approx 4-7 days for the plaster to dry out, then you can put on a vinyl paint, but only matt, or supermatt with is mainly for new plaster.

If like I mentioned in the previous page its gone back to the brick like lilyann's has, or I get the impression it has, then you must leave it for a long long time,(months) before you start paint vinyl or silk.

Unless there is something else new on the market.,that I dont know about.:confused:
  • handyman.
    handyman. Posts: 305 Forumite
    this pva argument is so annoying. No one has ever posted a link to a paint manufactures site that recommends pva on walls first. They all say a mist coat (or plaster sealer.) Do these people who recommend using pva just 'forget' that pva is designed to re activate when wet? Thats why plasterers use it!

I would think the paint manufacturers would know better than anyone.
    go on, adopt a greyhound
    http://www.dgrescue.org.uk/
  • home_alone
    home_alone Posts: 755 Forumite
    The best of both worlds is use a cheap emulsion watered down with PVA, from the horses mouth.

gary
  • handyman.
    home_alone wrote: »
    The best of both worlds is use a cheap emulsion watered down with PVA, from the horses mouth.

gary

thanks gary...........a perfect example of a made up, ill advised post, which is just adds confusion to the subject.

As i say, I will presume the manufactures of the paint know much much more than you when it comes to putting there produce on new plaster
    go on, adopt a greyhound
  • The best of both worlds is use a cheap emulsion watered down with PVA, from the horses mouth.

gary

NOPE ! that advice came from the OTHER END of the horse.:rolleyes:
  • my house is covered in old artex and would be a pain to remove so we had ours plastered , our walls were coated with pva and water before the plaster and a diluted coat of paint a week after the walls were plastered. just to be on the safe side i painted the walls twice with diluted paint... no problems here whatsoever!
    spanky xx

DFW weight watchers 28lbs to lose
    lost so far 11.5 lbs
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite

gary

NOPE ! that advice came from the OTHER END of the horse.:rolleyes:

The other end of a Bull I think. :D
  • handyman.
    my house is covered in old artex and would be a pain to remove so we had ours plastered , our walls were coated with pva and water before the plaster and a diluted coat of paint a week after the walls were plastered. just to be on the safe side i painted the walls twice with diluted paint... no problems here whatsoever!

thats exactly what should happen........pva for plastering, watered down paint on the plaster
    go on, adopt a greyhound
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    When I have to skimm over old plastered walls I give it TWO coats of pva before skiming

1 coat does not seal it completely, you have to give it a second coat after the first has dried/set.

So I'd say give it weak coat of PVA however I have heard all different manner of methods sworne by.

On the drying aspect - when it has all gone the light colour thats when its ok to paint you dont have to wait weeks and weeks and weather/drying conditions have a major effect on it all too.

I did a conservatory this morning that'll probably be paintable tommorow

I broke my record too, 3 hours 35 mins to board and skim it \o/
  • handyman.
    exactly nelly............pva for plastering, not for painting
    go on, adopt a greyhound
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing