PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smoking Kenwood Chef! - its Dead!!!

Comments

• Hi folks
    My wife was recently given a 30 odd year old A901, today it emitted a cloud of smoke and snuffed it - somehow the control board seems like it may be a likely candidate for repair, the question is how do I get to it? Any help would be greatly appreciated

David
  • woohoo!!! took the motor cover off and it was plain to see a 56ohm resistor and a small capacitor had departed this world. Off down to maplins for spares for the princely sum of £1.52, 15 min with a soldering iron and its alive again.
    dead chuffed
    thanks for the other posts for pointing me in the right direction

David
  • Hi
    turn the mixer upside down, remove the screw you can see and disconnect the electrical connections from the terminal block - 2 wires from the plug and the two wires that go into the motor housing.
    next press the button to release the mixer hinge so that you can see where the two screws are. undo them and put them on one side. The hinge will open up even more. push the button in and slide the silver bar out of the way, you can then lift off the motor housing.
    parts you will need seem to vary slightly from model to model but for mine they were available from maplins for slightly under £5
    1 resistor 56 ohm part no M56R
    1 resistor 220 ohm part no D220R
    1 triac BTA08-600b part no UK54

they didnt have any .15 microfarad capacitors so i got
    2 0.1 microfarad capacitors and
    2 0.047 microfarad capacitors

I then soldered them in place in parallel

works a treat.

One thought..... replace all the parts, if ones failed the others won't be far behind :)

David
  • dean350
    dean350 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi all,

I have a Kenwood Major A707A (built between 1962 and 1976) and bought for a tenner last year in Singapore! It been a great machine until it went bang last week.

I think one of the capacitors has failed. Its abut 15mm diameter an 45mm long. It is marked up 0.1mF X + 2 x 0.01mF Y and '250V'.

My internet research so far tells me that is it probably a 'one X and two Y multi section electrolytic safety capacitor rated for 250V AC'.

I can't find any information on what I can replace it with.

I would be very grateful for any help as once its fixed I get to eat some yummy foods again!

Dean
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi,

If you start reading from [post=10454165]post #24[/post] you'll find all the information you need.

Good luck.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Please could you list the names of the 9 parts required with the identification marks so I can order them from the same firm you got them from.
  • Magpie27
    Magpie27 Posts: 435 Forumite
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can anyone help me with a problem with a Kenwood Chef A901. I brought on Ebay recently, I made a cake mix the other day and it worked fine but today I decided to make bread in it. Whilst it was knending I had a pop then it started to smell of burning :eek: I quickly turned it off and now I'm too scard to switch it back on. Has anyone had this before is it likely to be knackered??? :(
  • MaggieBaking
    MaggieBaking Posts: 964 Forumite
    It's likely that you've overheated it trying to make a dough which will be giving it a good work out!! Try and stick to lighter mixes next time and I'd plug it back in tomorrow (with someone else in the house!) and see if it works again.

Edit... Just reread your message... You heard a pop?? If so it'd be going in the bin for me.
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Find the old kenwood threads on here, someone had links and istructions on how to fix an old one, they are very serviceable and most things can be repaired or replaced on them. My old one was the same model, and it couldn't cope with bread dough either.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think that this may be the thread that jackieglasgow is referring to:

Smoking Kenwood Chef! - its Dead!!!

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income