Prescription prepaid card-now can pay by Direct Debit

Not sure if this is the right place or if its been posted anywhere else on MSE (did search!)

I got my reminder for my pre-paid prescription exemption certificate today and now they give you the option of paying for it over 10 months by Direct Debit (if you need the Annual one). It wont start until they collect the first payment and if you then dont pay the debit they will stop the certificate and would recover any money due i suppose, but having the facility to pay over the whole year is a huge help. Which is great news for people like me who previouslywould struggle to find the 90 odd pound it costs in a lump sum (but even that was preferable to paying seperately for 4 items a month in my case).

Beneficial for anyone who needs more than two items on prescription a month over 12 months.For anyone who hasn't got one or has been put off by the haviing to find that much in a lump sum, this could save you money. For those who already get them, it wont save anything but it might help you budget better over the year.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    That is great news, thanks pebble x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • IvorGlyn
    IvorGlyn Posts: 14 Forumite
    Hi, that news is brilliant.:T Do you have a link at all to apply for it please? I have tried searching but keep hitting dead ends.:confused:

Not connected but couldn't resist adding this icon - :EasterBun
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I do this, and it's roughly about £10 a month so only a little bit more than 1.5 prescriptions, and I get about 7 items a month:j :j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Read at the weekend about prescriptions coming down in price to I think £5 but think that's just for Scotland though.

Read about it here:- http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2007/12/05141211
    If I had known then what I know now . . .
    :A Official Boots Tart (I seem to be retired just now though) :A
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It works out that if you have more than 14 items a year you start to save money. Don't forget the prescription charge goes up on April 1st, yes really, from £6.85 to £7.10.
  • I've just spoken on the phone to those who issue these cards and you can pay by direct debit over 10 months. ( only available for annual 12 month cards ).You will have to wait untill your renewel reminder arrives and there is a section for "direct Debit Payment".
    Hope this helps?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport