Part Time Working When On JSA

Hi, I've read that I am allowed to work up to 16 hours a week when I am on JobSeekers Allowance. Is this right? Will I get "done" by the Job Centre, e.g. have my benefits stopped or slashed? Does anyone know the rules about this etc.? All help/information gratefully received. Massive thanks.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    You may work up to sixteen hours, however anything that you earn over a specified disregard will be deducted from your JSA.

Broadly speaking, the disregard for a single person is £5, a couple £10 and the disabled and lone parents £20.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And to be pedantic I believe 16 hours is the cut-off point so really you can work up to 15 hours and 59 minutes.
  • for every £1 you earn whilst working up to 16 hours on JSA they will deduct £1 from your JSA

so its a £1 for a £1 if that makes sense? however the very first £5 you earn is yours.
    September wins: 101 Love songs album 5 cds - Bowtime Fridge magnet!? - So..? Exciting perfume Set
    October Wins: 3 x Sunsilk shower Lotion
  • for every £1 you earn whilst working up to 16 hours on JSA they will deduct £1 from your JSA

so its a £1 for a £1 if that makes sense? however the very first £5 you earn is yours.

sorry i know this as i come of JSA recently (july 08) i was working 11 hours and they deducted £1 for every £1 i earned
    September wins: 101 Love songs album 5 cds - Bowtime Fridge magnet!? - So..? Exciting perfume Set
    October Wins: 3 x Sunsilk shower Lotion
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    And to be pedantic I believe 16 hours is the cut-off point so really you can work up to 15 hours and 59 minutes.

Hence using the phrase up to sixteen hours, as opposed to up to and including sixteen hours. Time is a continuous variable, hence the correct use of the above terms.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • jumpycheese1
    jumpycheese1 Posts: 4,300 Forumite
    The single over 25 payment is £60.50 per week. As the NMW wage is £5.52 ph (until 30th Sept when it goes up to £5.73), you can work 10 hours and 57 mins, before you are earning more than the JSA payment if you are paid NMW.

I don't get why the max number of hours one can work whilst on JSA is 16 hours a week, yet from my calculations, don't get a penny JSA.
    "The reason we're successful, darling? My overall charisma, of course." -- Freddie Mercury

Friends are kisses blown to us by angels - Anon.
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The single over 25 payment is £60.50 per week. As the NMW wage is £5.52 ph (until 30th Sept when it goes up to £5.73), you can work 10 hours and 57 mins, before you are earning more than the JSA payment if you are paid NMW.

I don't get why the max number of hours one can work whilst on JSA is 16 hours a week, yet from my calculations, don't get a penny JSA.

Maybe because you do get NI credits when you wouldn't be paying NI contributions at that level of pay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure