Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Why don't you fall asleep during the appeal ? :D
    :cool:
  • jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sherrie wrote: »
    If you find it difficult lying on your back to sleep with it on, try lying on your side facing the cpap that way you can't get tangled in it.

That's really the main thing that I can't really get on with - It's difficult to explain, but if you imagine a young child playing statues and they're really concentrating on not moving, and if they move they have to adjust slightly to make out they didn't move.

That's how I feel when I try to sleep with the mask on - I'm constantly concentrating on not moving so I don't dislodge the mask or mess up the pipe. Every time I move my head, i consciously (and probably unconsciously) adjust the pipe so there's enough slack in case I move more.

I've never been a "corpse" sleeper - I don't lay in bed in one position and sleep, i'm all over the shop until I finally drop off.
    Sherrie wrote: »
    You don't say how old you are

I'm 38, single and live on my own (even though that sounded like a response to a dating advert :D).

I'm aware of all the associated risks and problems with it which is part of the reason I went completely teetotal about 15 years ago. I'll probably give my machine another try because of my follow up in 8 weeks, but i'd say at the moment it's very likely i'll be handing it back when I go.
    Dippychick wrote: »
    Why don't you fall asleep during the appeal ? :D

When I had my first review for Incapacity Benefit about 8 years ago, I actually did do that. The "doctor" didn't notice though as he never stopped staring at his PC. I was actually knocked back for Incap after that review as well :)
  • Conor wrote: »
    There is nothing in Sleep Apnoea which affects your mobility or requires you needing care to the point where you qualify for DLA which is why you've been refused. For example, you can still dress yourself, still feed yourself, still wash yourself and you're capable of walking unaided and without supervision.

I am shocked by this after living with my partner who has just been diagonised with sleep apnea, his care needs are high, he can not drive for more thah thirty minutes at a time, he has to be supervised when eating or drinking so he does not fall asleep, can not attend appointments as he falls asleep, can not use public transport & can only look after his son for short preiods & needs constant phone calls to make sure he is awake & and can not attend work because of this, it has caused him severe memory loss, he has to be reminded to pick up his medication & take it. this is just a few of the things i have experienced so far, let alone the fact that when out with freinds he reguarly is nodding off.
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    He needs this level of care and is still allowed to drive?:eek: Scary
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    I am shocked by this after living with my partner who has just been diagonised with sleep apnea, his care needs are high, he can not drive for more thah thirty minutes at a time, he has to be supervised when eating or drinking so he does not fall asleep, can not attend appointments as he falls asleep, can not use public transport & can only look after his son for short preiods & needs constant phone calls to make sure he is awake & and can not attend work because of this, it has caused him severe memory loss, he has to be reminded to pick up his medication & take it. this is just a few of the things i have experienced so far, let alone the fact that when out with freinds he reguarly is nodding off.

You don't mention any treatment. Does he have a cpap and does he use it?
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    have to mention here that sleep apneoa (wrongly spelt i know) is a notifiable condition regards driving!!!!!!

if you have it, you are most definately NOT allowed to drive - you are supposed to tell DVLA.

my ex husband had this and the doc at the hospital told us just that.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My friend had his driving licence removed until his sleep apnoea was controlled with one of those breathing masks.

He has now got his licence back and the mask has made such a huge difference to his life. He doesn't need the type of care that would warrant DLA, but I suppose cases vary.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • he has only recently been diagonsed so a lot of the things we have had to put in place where already being done before his diagonosis, for safety it was obvouis that driving is unsafe and he only does short journeys that he can cope with if he can not then i have to drive, i just think it is shocking that people think people with sleep apnea (sorry if i spelt it wrong but no one has given me any leaflets on it and it varys on the internet) need no extra care.
  • mealone
    mealone Posts: 527
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 May 2009 at 7:08PM
    he has only recently been diagonsed so a lot of the things we have had to put in place where already being done before his diagonosis, for safety it was obvouis that driving is unsafe and he only does short journeys that he can cope with if he can not then i have to drive, i just think it is shocking that people think people with sleep apnea (sorry if i spelt it wrong but no one has given me any leaflets on it and it varys on the internet) need no extra care.

He dosnt have a driving licence if he has failed to report a notifiable illness, nor insurance, it is invalidated.

Driving short distances is actually statistically more dangerous for all drivers and add in that he shouldnt be driving, hes an accident waiting to happen.

What about the innocent people he could kill or maim by being unfit to drive?

He needs his keys taken from him until the DVLA say he is fit to drive.
  • Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    But how does he know he can 'cope with a short journey' if he can't even cope with managing to eat a meal without dropping off?

I tell you what's shocking - that he is still driving and you don't have a problem with it and yet are indignant about what people think about levels of care.

Tell that to the parents of the child that he could very easily knock down and kill as he has fell asleep.

Whilst I am sorry he has a disability he is very selfish to put his and, more importantly, innocent lives at risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure