Help! Stepsons mobile bill > £4500

Comments

• gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    So all providers are capped in the EU. And also some other providers (but not Orange) also cap outside of the EU as a matter of course, without being requested by the user.

It is but there is a cop out that if you take a data bundle for use outside the UK then depending on the network this may be seen as choosing to opt out of the cap.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    patman99 wrote: »
    £8000/Gb is a huge profit for Orange. Their costs will likely to be no more than £300 for the Data charges.
    If I were you, I would try a FOI request asking how much the true cost per/Gb really is on a per-country basis.

This info could become useful in beating down the bill.

Not sure how this helps. My iPhone costs around $200 ($ as it's not specified in £'s) in parts according to estimates but Apple charge $649.

Even if it costs Orange pence, it's down to them to set the rate they wish to charge and if the user thinks it's too high not to use the service.
  • grumbler wrote: »
    Apps will never use 650Gb just for simple checking, but, say, several videos from youtube can easily do this.

Would they use around 500MB though? That is approximately what he used (difficult to tell because the bill if for the whole month so some of that time is in the UK)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Would they use around 500MB though? That is approximately what he used (difficult to tell because the bill if for the whole month so some of that time is in the UK)

you said he uses 500mb a month in the UK
    I can easily eat up 500mb on my phone in a month,Thats with the phone using my wifi at home.
    Given he was no doubt sitting with plenty of time on his hands,500mb is easily done
  • Personally, I wouldn't pay.

The charge is unreasonable and Orange (as with all mobile phone companies) are profiteering bandits who don't give two hoots about anything but their bank balance. If they do not want to be reasonable, I would go into default with them and accept the consequence of a bad credit rating.....though I'm sure I'll be in a minority of one on this site. ;)
    ''apply within'' :)
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ...the bill if for the whole month so some of that time is in the UK
    I cannot imagine that bill doesn't give a breakdown for the data used in UK and abroad.
  • JethroUK
    JethroUK Posts: 1,959 Forumite

Instead of criticising the help people gave, why not use the advice instead of moaning about how 'unhelpful' the correct posts are.

They ain't criticising the help, just the patronizing finger wagging of the righteous

and it's scary how many people dance all over threads like this ripping the op to pieces, when what they really want is sound advice

Thank God they ain't judges otherwise "off wit h their head"

pathetic
    When will the "Edit" and "Quote" button get fixed on the mobile web interface?
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Personally, I wouldn't pay.

The charge is unreasonable and Orange (as with all mobile phone companies) are profiteering bandits who don't give two hoots about anything but their bank balance. If they do not want to be reasonable, I would go into default with them and accept the consequence of a bad credit rating.....though I'm sure I'll be in a minority of one on this site. ;)

So there would be no chance whatsoever, zero, zilch, bet-my-shirt chance of Orange taking any legal action through the courts to get a judgement for the £4500?? So a CCJ, bailiffs seizing goods doesn't happen in real life?

Great advice from a safe armchair - do an Ostrich and wear your adverse credit rating with pride.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 August 2012 at 8:53AM
    Guys_Dad wrote: »
    So there would be no chance whatsoever, zero, zilch, bet-my-shirt chance of Orange taking any legal action through the courts to get a judgement for the £4500?? So a CCJ, bailiffs seizing goods doesn't happen in real life?
    Extremely unlikely, especially because of the shameless 2000%+ profit margin that would definitely be exposed in the court.
    Unfair contracts with exorbitant penalties spring to mind. £8000/Gb per se is a penalty for being stupid/careless/...
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    JethroUK wrote: »
    when what they really want is sound advice

Sound advice like that from useless git requires wife ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure