Travel to Ireland with no passport???

Is there any way to travel to Ireland from UK without a passport?

My passport was in my maiden name but has expired. I can't get a new passport in my married name using the one day service as from the website it looks like they don't do that for name change services.

The one week service will take too long.

There's a family funeral likely to be next week and I just can't see how I can get there :(
working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't worry, you don't need one!

Adviceguide
    "You need a valid passport to travel between the UK and all other countries (except the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland)."
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    But the airline and ferry won't allow you to get on without a passport? :confused:

Since 9/11 the airlines won't let you check in without one (previous to that I did fly to Ireland without one).
  • newlywed
    Just found this
    Note: Whilst UK citizens do not require a passport or visa to enter Ireland, most carriers by air or sea now require some form of identification with photograph, usually a passport or driving licence with photo. Visitors should check what form of ID is required with the individual airline, ferry company or travel agent before travelling.

Looks like it's up to the airline/ferry :confused:
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Foreign Office
    ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Ireland, along with the UK, is a member of the Common Travel Area. This means that UK passport holders do not require their passport to visit Ireland for immigration purposes. However, we recommend you carry an acceptable form of photo-identification for travel between the UK and Ireland (and between UK airports).

You shouldn't have a problem, just check first as you have said.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    We travelled by ferry without passports withno problems. Take your driving licence with you, that should suffice in the unlikely event anybody asks for ID.

You will need to show passports at airlines, at this end at any rate.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • newlywed
    Thanks for the info. I thought as much. Debate now is whether to do 350 mile drive and ferry crossing - funeral - ferry, then 350 miles :(
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Technically, you don't need one. My mother in law travelled to and from Ireland all the time without a passport, but I have also heard of some airlines refusing to accept anything BUT a passport. To be safe, why don't you just get a new passport in your maiden name using the one day service. You can always send off to have it changed over later (not very moneysaving but will get you to the funeral).
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • newlywed
    I did think of that but don't honestly have the £115 plus train fare plus day off work to do it. I'd need travel costs for the funeral too - travel to airport, tickets, hotel etc.

Would then need another £72 to change it later to my married name :o
  • U do not need a passport,
    but u do need some form of id i.e driving licence, check with the airline
  • newlywed
    dragoninn wrote: »
    U do not need a passport,
    but u do need some form of id i.e driving licence, check with the airline

BA website says due to security controls and regulations you need a valid passport unless it is "domestic" flight. Another website refers to Ryanair and says they stipulate passport also :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure