Halifax student account 2012/2013: We want your feedback

Hi all,

In our newly published Student Accounts 2012/13 guide the Halifax Student Accounts are in our top picks.

They offer 0% overdrafts on £1000 initially but amount of up to £3,000 may be possible, although not guaranteed.

We're after feedback from people who have applied this year and want to know your experience and if you had any trouble getting the overdraft.

Thanks for all help in advance :)

Comments

• Here's my experience with HBOS after 5 years.

0% overdraft limits:
    Year 1: £500
    Year 2-5: £2750
    Year 6: Awaiting the usual renewal letter.

I am sure this is not exclusive to HBOS, but you can sign up for free SMS text alerts with your balance on it. Very helpful to keep track of your finance ;)
  • After countless problems upgrading my Santander Current Account to a Student Account I decided to close the account and go elsewhere (see posts on Santander Feedback page).

My Mum banks with Halifax, so I did an online application with them - this only took about 15 minutes. Three days later I received a letter asking me to take proof of identity and course details into the branch, which I did today. The account is now set up with the overdraft facility i requested (£1000) and I should get my card in the post within 7 working days. The branch even notified me of my account number and sort code so I could let Student Finance know the changes.

Excellent service and would highly recommend them.
  • lj*
    lj* Posts: 234 Forumite
    edited 10 September 2012 at 6:03PM
    DD went in to Halifax to 'extend' her student overdraft for her 4th year at uni. Really helpful staff, 20 mins later all sorted! ( thank goodness!)
  • kaka72
    kaka72 Posts: 154 Forumite
    The Halifax are a waste of time for me. After hours of being grilled about my finances I was guaranteed the max overdraft for my student account. Then it didn't go through and the woman said she'd follow it up, she didn't. I chased it up and she phoned to apologise however she said the loans department wouldn't give me the amount because my name was on the joint household account we have with them and our overdraft limit was £750 so I couldn't have any it on my student account. Therefore they can keep their money and I'm transferring accounts asap. I wont be happy if all the applying for the overdraft and the rejection has harmed my credit rating.
  • mmmsnow
    mmmsnow Posts: 388 Forumite
    I had terrible problems with Halifax, so much so I have switched my loan payments to Nationwide. I'm a mature student just about to complete my second degree and I've had a Halifax student account since my first degree. They were okay with the first degree but started getting funny around the second year of my second degree. I got married around this time and went into my local branch to change my name (a simple task, I thought). The first person I dealt with just changed me to "Mrs" but didn't alter my last name. The second changed me back to "Miss" but did manage to change my last name. I went back a third time and was told it was sorted - it still isn't!

I started getting letters from Halifax telling me that they were withdrawing my overdraft so I repaid it in full. Two years on, my account still has the £2750 overdraft on it.

I called up to close my account a while ago and was told I had to do it in person in the branch. I really can't be bothered. I had a joint account with an ex that I asked to be closed five years ago - it took more than a year and several trips to my local branch to close it. Also, I have a few saving accounts that I wanted closed (again, I asked for them to be closed at the same time as the joint account) and they are still open, sitting empty.

I've been in three different branches and experienced the same problems. I even had one member of branch staff tell me it would be easier if I just rang customer services because she wasn't sure of how to close the savings accounts. Customer services then said to go to the branch.

I've had a Nationwide account for a while now and I find their website easier to use and their staff very helpful. All in all, I'm glad I've switched my banking to them.
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
  • I've had the Halifax account for the first 3 years of my degree and it has generally been ok, a lot of faff getting them to upgrade the limits but they usually did it in the end.

However, going into my 4th year I'd planned to extend it a little beyond the £2000 it was already sitting at. It was at this point I was told in the branch that they now very rarely extend beyond the £2000 limit, unless the holder has savings in excess of £30000 (thats 4 zero's) as part of their responsible lending scheme. Those in the branch aren't the one's that confirm upgrades to the limit, but they didn't even want to address my personal circumstances (regular income, not inconsiderable savings etc) unless I already had savings that reached this £30000 amount.

Seems frankly ridiculous to advertise such a policy if they're going have outrageous stipulations like this, particularly for a student account. Wouldn't advise getting one if your purely interested in getting the maximum overdraft, and its certainly put me off further banking with them as it just appears a bit dishonest.
  • Hsto
    Hsto Posts: 1 Newbie
    I had originally been given a £500 overdraft on opening the account, which I increased online to £1000 about 8 months later.
    I am now in my final year (3rd), with only 6 moths left of the course.
    Due to the nature of my course, I spend the next 6 months an placement and so do not have any time for additional employment, hence - I need to rely on a larger overdraft during this period.
    I went in store to ask for an increase in my overdraft, however was told that £1000 was my maximum and that it was based on my credit score (I doubt I have much of a credit score - being a student).
    I was told that if they made an application and it was rejected, I would get a bad credit score. The adviser in Halifax tried to push me into taking out a student credit card with them instead, which appears to have no benefits for me what so ever as there are high interest cost if you do not pay off by the payment date, and obviously for me - I cannot pay off anything within the next 6 months.
    So, I am now planning to shop around for a new student account.

For anyone considering getting a Halifax student account due to their appealing "up to £3000 overdraft", I would strongly advise shopping elsewhere for somewhere that guarantees the overdraft limit.
    -Or perhaps ask Halifax to verify the maximum overdraft amount they would be prepared to offer you before opening the account?
  • nuttydee
    nuttydee Posts: 11 Forumite
    I applied on line thinking I would get £1000 overdraft. I had to go into bank to show them my UCAS letter but the person I needed to talk to was not in on the day I went. I went back a couple of days later but she was too busy to see me!! I gave my phone number and was told that she would phone me. I never received a phone call so went back in, again she wasn't in and I'd get a phone call. Call never came. I had a letter to say my overdraft is just £500. I went into the bank to ask why because I was on the understanding that it was guaranteed £1000. I was told that it is because I have a joint account which has an overdraft facility. When I questioned why I had not been phoned, I was told that she tried to call a couple of times, I checked the number she had for me which is correct. I know she never called because my husband is home 24/7 at the moment with a broken leg and hand. I feel that customer service is awful and I hate being lied to. I am shutting this account and am going to look at other available accounts. I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure