Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• As regards wax it is amazingly fast and brilliant in the right hands but every time i nearly interrogate how they wax before booking an appointment. I have been double dipped, where the wax stick was put back into the pot. I ended up with a nasty infection and a life lesson. I would prefer to be an obnoxious customer than having to take antibiotics.

Treading is good but is very hard to find a great person.

Recently i have felt like a mini sausage, i feel really fat and not at ease in my skin. I know that i need to invest in myself and eat right. I am hoping it will improve.

I have worn make up mostly daily and at least put on a face, i try to dress for the part and professional role. I have no off work clothes,,, everything is very formal. I got into this situation where i don't really have much outside interests but work. While I have more control of my days and contracts, I have to get some balance. I got this great idea about trying on skinny jeans but all my weight is on my legs and behind. Primark jeans were plain and not ideal. I found a pair in TK maxx that were lovely but too short on the leg.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I had a date with Wayne last night, because he wanted us to have a 'serious' talk.

As I have finally stopped being angry with him for issues in the past, I have agreed to start our relationship again.

It is a gamble I am willing to take, because in the last 4 month's he has finally taken the time to see things from my point of view as well as his own and my feelings for him are still deep rooted within me

Wayne now accepts that we can have a committed relationship without me having to agree to move in with him. Wayne is a lodger in his brother's home, so his plan was to find his own home to rent, then we would live together. Although he has 6 children from 4 relationships he was not the stay at home parent for his children. He has accepted that my children still see this as a very new relationship because of all the times when I was not actually speaking to Wayne and even though they are aged 16 and 24 years old, they still need me in lots of ways to be there for them.

He is also not so insecure about why I choose to be in a relationship with him. Far too many people keep acting surprised that I chose him, but he is kind, caring, generous and he is able to speak very openly and honestly about his emotions.

On the surface, we have very different interests, but in the final analysis we have similar moral and ethical viewpoints and we both are willing to talk about our future issues as they arise

The best thing about me being with Wayne is that when we are together, he simply can not have enough of my company. He also has a way of looking at me that reinforces his opinion that no other woman could ever compare favourably to me. He has the ability to make me feel like the prettiest, most attractive woman in any room, restaurant, or pub, even when I am surrounded by women who are prettier, slimmer, more glamorous and/or drop dead good looking. Especially when I am having a 'fat' day.

I am realistic, but will remain hopeful for a future with Wayne where we both feel lucky and fulfilled to have each other in our life
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    And a MASSIVE HELLO to you all
    Good to meet you CC. Glad you decided to post at last.:)

Floss wrote: »
    I am considering having a silver highlight put through with the other two colours. My base colour is dirty blonde, with slightly ash & golden highlights. Would this look ok or slightly ageing? I am 53, and don't want to look muttonish!

My hair is what you'd call a dirty blonde too but fortunately not too much of the silver yet. Personally I have a few warmer caramel sort of shades put in too. It definitely won't look muttonish. I'd suggest you talk it though with the hairdresser. Let us know how you get on.:)

I have worn make up mostly daily and at least put on a face, i try to dress for the part and professional role. I have no off work clothes,,, everything is very formal. I got into this situation where i don't really have much outside interests but work. While I have more control of my days and contracts, I have to get some balance. I got this great idea about trying on skinny jeans but all my weight is on my legs and behind. Primark jeans were plain and not ideal. I found a pair in TK maxx that were lovely but too short on the leg.

That's really not good.:( I find jeans are very difficult to buy. You're right that TKMaxx have good ones but you have to be lucky there. My current favourites are a pair of Bench skinnies from there but they're getting a bit past it. What about trying some summer weight trousers for now. Last year I got a lot of wear out of silky joggers/cargo trousers (difficult to describe) or you might like some of the printed styles. I'm going to look for some khaki coloured chinos. Just keep trying things on.:)

I had a good walk this morning followed by coffee with friends. The sun even came out briefly! Unfortunately there was a dampness in the air so my hair is a mess. I'll shampoo it tomorrow. I've got a new mousse to try form Sainsbury's. Also had a bargain in Superdrug, my favourite cheapo lipstick was I their reduced section for £2.:D:money:
  • indiepanda
    indiepanda Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    maman wrote: »
    I agree you should try to buy a minimum until you're happy with your dress size. I don't think I'll ever get to a complete capsule wardrobe but I really am trying to cut right back. There was an article in my newspaper this week about a minimal number of essential items. They called it the magnificent seven:
    • jacket
    • trews
    • blouse/shirt
    • pencil or A-line skirt
    • luxury knit
    • gorgeous but practical handbag
    • smart dress or jumpsuit
    Jeans were added as a possible No.8.

I have all those items but several of each. I suppose I could manage with perhaps 4 sets of 8 to take in all seasons. I think I'd want to add a top/tee to the list as well as a blouse/shirt can look a bit formal in some situations. Food for thought.:)

Interesting list - have to admit sounds a bit more like a work wardrobe to me though - I could not survive without jeans and nice t shirts and I could live without shirts. But I think there's a good point in there about working out what you really need to make up a number of outfits.

At the moment the main thing I am trying to reign back on is buying dresses for wear out of work. I have a tendency to buy a lot of cute cotton dresses in prints that are too fun for work but ok for going to the pub or out dancing, but whilst I wear a dress quite often, each one doesn't get much wear. Also for most of those events, I could have stuck with jeans and a nice top - and the jeans will get way more wear than the dresses. Some of the tops will work for office as well as home. I have a few old skirts that though loose on the waist aren't quite falling off yet so will get some use out of those, and I've bought a few pairs of smart trousers that will work both in and out of work - good for dancing in too. Skirts and dresses I have to be a bit cautious for dancing - got to give it the twirl test - some fly up indecently high when spinning and you do that quite a bit in ceroc.

But these lists of capsule wardrobes with just a few items in always seem a bit idealistic. Rely on you always being on top of the laundry and ironing and sometimes I don't have the time for that. They never seem to allow for clothes for events - like weddings - or for sport. Just my stuff for my workouts in the park and all my hiking kit makes up a capsule wardrobe on it's own, and I can't survive on one pair of hiking trousers etc because I go away for a week at a time and you need plenty of changes of clothes.

All the same, I am not going to end up with wardrobes as full as I did before, am gradually going through the wardrobe and removing items that are too large and enjoying not having to push to get clothes in.

I could do with getting a smart work jacket and some cardigans as mine are looking rather big now. Not got anything in the diary for this weekend yet so I might do a trip round some charity shops to see what I can find.
    Indie....go you with your internet dating. Dark horse indeed. :rotfl:
    Indie it is good to read such a positive post from you once again. I hope your date goes really well

Thanks - the date last night went well, plenty to chat about and he's a nice looking chap. I messaged him when I got home to say I enjoyed meeting him and it'd be great to do it again and he responded very quickly saying that would be great and he would get back in touch with some suggestions. Nice to have a guy who actually takes a bit of a lead. Am somewhat used on internet dates to guys who expect me to make suggestions, but he suggested last night's date and venue and although I arrived a little early, he beat me to it by a couple of minutes, which was nice. I do like a man who is punctual. And clean shaven too - London is full of hipsters with beards and I can't stand them!

Right, must shift myself or I will be late for work. Have a fab Friday all x
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 5 May 2017 at 9:38AM
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Oh what is it with these hipster beards. Even my sensible DS1 has succumbed. I think they are horrible and it makes my son look years older than he is.

Yes I hate them. And They all have them. Give me a clean shaven man every time........

Well I'm going to go against the grain here. I adore clothes and "wondrous variety" so now that I have a bit of spare money at last I won't be going for a capsule wardrobe.

I do tend to have a bit of a signature look in that I know what suits me and stick to a sort of formula, block colours, no pattern and fairly tailored, no frills or flounces however I do like to lots of choice.

In my defence I don't spend a lot (honest Gov). I have just bought 4 evening dresses from eBay for £35 the lot. Yes quite naughty - who needs 4 new dresses :rotfl: but they are gorgeous and because I go for classic styles and avoid anything gimmicky they will last for years.

I spent so long going without that's it's nice to finally indulge myself a little.

So there!!!
  • lessonlearned
    Well Indie and Sugar baby......here you both are with men in your lives again. Go you. Have some fun. Why not but don't forget to protect your hearts, try not to fall too hard and too fast.

Says she who fell hook line and sinker on the first date but then went on to have 32 years of happy marriage. :D

A funny thing has happened, I have realised that I am actually happy, not just surviving and getting through the day but genuinely happy and looking forward to my future.

My old joire de vie has returned. All the bad stuff, the long years of his illness no longer haunt me, I have finally been able to let go of all those sad memories and can now look back and smile at all the good times.

The funny thing is now that I have reached this stage of peace and serenity, now that my heart is open and my spirit is free, I feel that he is closer to me than ever. I feel his presence and that he is still with me, in my heart and in my head, guiding me.

I know That all sounds a bit new age - hippy b o l l o c k s as my charming DS2 would say.:rotfl: I'm not religious as such but I do think there is "something" out there and that my husband is still around in the ether, watching over me.

Anyway it's all good ........

Dentists today and then food shopping - need to stock up so DS2 doesn't starve whilst I'm away.

And CC. A great big welcome. Welcome to Fab School where we learn to love ourselves, have fun, where georgousness rules and where we all learn to be strong, happy and fabulous women, (and men too, if any of you are reading, but please ditch the hipster beards:rotfl:)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Glad you enjoyed your date indie. Hope there're many more to follow.:)

I woke up in the night and realised I hadn't responded to sugarbaby (strange how we think of our virtual friends at odd times:)). You obviously have a connection with Wayne, something works between you and I admire your caution (and his persistence) in not rushing into things. Enjoy your dates and let's see what the future brings.

Lovely upbeat post LL. When do you set off for the Baltic?

I agree that these capsule lists are only a guide indie but they do make you reflect. And just like LL with the evening dresses and you with the hiking gear we all need occasion stuff on top of everyday things. I've always worked in an environment with a (mostly) unwritten dress code so I've needed separate work and casual clothes too. Interesting that you mention dancing. I definitely need at least one more long, swishy skirt. I've got a number that are suitable for weekend dances but for classes they are the best thing. The one I have is a fine, black cotton so it's very versatile (both seasonally and with coloured tops) but I really need a change.

I'm just coming to the end of the Clarins serum that I bought last October. I'm definitely going to replace it. It's not cheap but it lasts as I only need a couple of drops a day. And I need an everyday body lotion. I'm giving extra attention to my thighs and stomach before my holiday. I'm going to gradually build up the tanner but I need a plain one too. I love the consistency and the applicator of the Palmers but I don't like the smell much so I need to get looking.

My DH has a moustache. :eek:
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    maman it's great that you can make your Clarins serum last so long. It makes it worthwhile and cost effective. Plus, you can stock up in duty free!!

lessons pleased you are in a good place. You deserve it after the last few years

indie pleased you enjoyed your date - could be promising!!!

sugar I hope things do work out with Wayne.

I've just got back from having my laser hair removal treatment and it won't be long before I have to pick up the children from school. I'm going to have a lazy hour before getting ready. Bliss!

I bought a hoodie yesterday for when I do Go Ape with Mr C, as I don't have any suitable jumpers to keep me warm. It was in offer for £15, which I thought was a bargain. Although I do shop quite a lot, I will only purchase something that I'm invested in, so I get my money's worth.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Afternoon Ladies & Happy 'Fab Friday' :)

You are all sounding very upbeat & there are lots of positive vibes around this thread at the moment :T

LL - glad to hear the fog of the last few years is lifting and you feel that your DH is guiding you into a happier direction - it is a comforting thought.

Hope it all works well for you with Wayne Sugar - it sounds like you really enjoy each other's company and have lots of things in common - always a good basis for a relationship ;)

Your date sounds promising Indie - you will have to keep us posted :p

Welcome CC - I lurked for quite a while before I joined - everyone on here is so friendly :D

Haven't heard from Rubyslippers for a while - hope you are OK and coping with the boys?

Enjoy your 'Go Ape' date chanie - sounds like fun :cool:

I have booked myself in for a Spa day in June at the Balmer Lawn Saltus Spa in the New Forest (over your neck-of-the-woods I think Maman?) I have been before and am looking forward to it very much. I have a 'Revistalizing Back Treatment' booked together with a manicure and pedicure so I will be feeling very pampered by the end of the day :j

Have a lovely weekend all :)
  • lessonlearned
    edited 5 May 2017 at 4:49PM
    I think we can allow a moustache.......:rotfl:

Actuallylly both my sons have beards. . Ds2 has always had one but it's more a "designer stubble" and as he has A long face it suits him, its those full on bushy straggly pretend Victorian Gentlemen ones I can't stand. I honestly don't know what possessed my elder son to have one, he is far more handsome without it. Lol.

He says he grew it because he feels he has a boyish face and looks too young.........:rotfl: he'll learn. at least it's not permanent, it's easy enough to shave it off when he gets fed up.

Lets hope the fashion is a flash in the pan.

Dentist this morning. She's made a great job of a front crown that had seen better days and which was starting to look a bit unsightly. It wasn't causing any trouble but she has made it look much nicer.

Roll on stem cells when we can just grow replacement teeth. We were laughing about it. She says they are on their way.

The irony is of course That stem cells would have been the answer to our prayers for my husbands illness. Alas it wasn't to be.

I've had a lovely day, just pottering. Just Going to Lay out all the decorating stuff and tools ready for DS2. He's going too paint my bedroom whilst I'm away. I have chosen a pale duck egg blue.

Then cook dinner and have a nice early night. Need to pop into M&S foodhall tomorrow for a few extra bits for DS And then it will be time to start thinking about what to pack.

Getting excited now......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport