IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

County Court Claim AM Parking Services Ltd

Options

Comments

• JimmyChan
    JimmyChan Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    ok have added the part about advertisement consent to my defence and have updated my counter claim to add £150 for trespass. I wouldn't mind some case law around the justifying the £150 I am claiming. Updates in bold

Counter Claim
    1. The Defendant counterclaims for trespass on their property for the sum of £150.
    2. The Defendant was the owner of the register title Kxxxx which is a lease for parts of the title Kxxxxx. The Claimant had no right to operate on this land as it had been whole demised to the defendant.
    3. As a result of the Claimant’s trespass the Defendant has suffered mental anguish, time and effort when they had the right to peaceful enjoyment of the land.
    4. The Claimant after being told about their trespass continued to pursue this claim and try to profit from their trespass.

5. The Defendant also counterclaims the sum of £750.00 against the Claimant, as compensation for a material breach of the Data Protection Act 1988 (“DPA”).
    6. The Claimant parking company had no lawful reason to retain or process my personal data, and by so doing they were in breach of the Second Data Principle, pursuant to Schedule 1 of the DPA, which states: “Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.”
    7. Pursuant to s13 of the DPA: “Compensation for failure to comply with certain requirements”, the Act states at 13(1) that “An individual who suffers damage by reason of any contravention by a data controller of any of the requirements of this Act is entitled to compensation from the data controller for that damage”.
    8. The Claimant is aware of all laws under which this counter claim is being brought as at the time they were a member of the trade association the British Parking Association, which to be a member they must abide by their code of practice which section A2.4 states:
    All AOS (Approved Operator Scheme) members must be aware of their legal obligations and implement the relevant legislation and guidance when operating their businesses.

9. I rely on two significant authorities for my counterclaim: Vidal-Hall v Google Inc [2015] EWCA Civ 311, and Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Ltd [2013] EWCA Civ 333. In Vidal-Hall, compensation was held to arise upon the fact of breach. In Halliday, the Court of Appeal held that a compensatory sum of up to £750 was deemed ‘appropriate and sufficient’.
    10. Both of the above cases arose as a result of material breaches of the DPA and can be considered to provide binding precedents for my own situation. A DPA breach ruling has also been made recently in favour of a consumer, in a private parking ticket case by a District Judge at Liverpool County Court on 7 December 2016, in case no. C9DP2D6C: ‘VCS v Mr. M’.
    11. No quantified loss is required to be proven since this is a clear breach under the tort of data misuse. As shown by the Court of Appeal authorities in Vidal-Hall and Halliday, no actual pecuniary loss sustained need govern the amount of the award in such cases so it seems reasonable to counterclaim a sum in excess of this Claimant’s unwarranted claim, without the sum of £750 being in any way excessive as compensation for my distress, given the circumstances.
    12. My data was obtained from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) under the guise of "reasonable causes" however the land the parking charge was issued had been whole demised to me under a registered lease. They had no authority to operate on this land and so therefore no reasonable causes to obtain my details from the DVLA. Section 55 of the DPA states is an offence to unlawfully procure personal information.

And the Defendant claims:
    (a) damages, as claimed or alternatively, in such sums as the Court may find; and
    (b) all court fees arising as a result of this counter-claim.
    (c) all costs for travel/parking to attend court and loss of earnings/leave (either loss of earnings or ‘loss of leave’ being covered by 27.14.2(e))
    A statement of costs will be brought to the court hearing. Should the Claimant discontinue their own claim, this counterclaim still stands.

The Defendant believes the facts stated in this counterclaim are true.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Trespass isn't something I've looked into in any detail the only case I know is the one I posted a link to. Parking prankster reported that case so may know what case law was relied on, try messaging him via his blog. Or google trespass damages and parking trespass damages and see if anything comes up.
    Will look at your defence later this morning.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Don't forget you need to pay a court fee for a counterclaim. This depends on its value. There's a court list of fees. I think it's called EX50. If you google it it's easy to find.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    JimmyChan wrote: »
    ok have added the part about advertisement consent to my defence and have updated my counter claim to add £150 for trespass. I wouldn't mind some case law around the justifying the £150 I am claiming. Updates in bold

Counter Claim
    1. The Defendant counterclaims for trespass on their property in the sum of £150.
    2. The Defendant was the owner of the register title Kxxxx which is a leasehold of part of the freehold title Kxxxxx. The Claimant had no right to operate on this land as it had been whole demised to the defendant.
    3. On or about [date] the Claimant entered onto the Defendant's land, without authority, for the purpose of placing a "parking charge notice" on the windscreen of his car and taking photographs of the said car.

[new para number] Subsequently, the Claimant has relied on this act in order to write multiple chasing letters to the Defendant seeking payment of the "parking charge", and which forms the basis of these proceedings. As a result of the Claimant’s trespass the Defendant has suffered mental anguish, and has had to spend hours defending and dealing with the claim when they had the right to peaceful enjoyment of the land.
    4. The Claimant after being told about their trespass continued to pursue this claim and try to profit from their trespass. As such, it has made no attempt to mitigate the Defendant's loss.

5. The Defendant also counterclaims the sum of £750.00 against the Claimant, as compensation for a material breach of the Data Protection Act 1988 (“DPA”).
    6. The Claimant parking company had no lawful reason to retain or process the Defendant's personal data, and by so doing it was in breach of the Second Data Principle, pursuant to Schedule 1 of the DPA, which states: “Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose or those purposes.”
    7. Pursuant to s13 of the DPA: “Compensation for failure to comply with certain requirements”, the Act states at 13(1) that “An individual who suffers damage by reason of any contravention by a data controller of any of the requirements of this Act is entitled to compensation from the data controller for that damage”.
    8. The Claimant is aware of all laws under which this counter claim is being brought as at the time they were a member of the trade association the British Parking Association, which to be a member they must abide by their code of practice which section A2.4 states:
    All AOS (Approved Operator Scheme) members must be aware of their legal obligations and implement the relevant legislation and guidance when operating their businesses (and the tort of trespass and data protection law are specifically listed in paragraph A2.4).

9. I rely on two significant authorities for my counterclaim: Vidal-Hall v Google Inc [2015] EWCA Civ 311, and Halliday v Creation Consumer Finance Ltd [2013] EWCA Civ 333. In Vidal-Hall, compensation was held to arise upon the fact of breach. In Halliday, the Court of Appeal held that a compensatory sum of up to £750 was deemed ‘appropriate and sufficient’.
    10. Both of the above cases arose as a result of material breaches of the DPA and can be considered to provide binding precedents for the Defendant's own situation. A DPA breach ruling has also been made recently in favour of a consumer, in a private parking ticket case by a District Judge at Liverpool County Court on 7 December 2016, in case no. C9DP2D6C: ‘VCS v Mr. M’.
    11. No quantified loss is required to be proven since this is a clear breach under the tort of data misuse. As shown by the Court of Appeal authorities in Vidal-Hall and Halliday, no actual pecuniary loss sustained need govern the amount of the award in such cases so it seems reasonable to counterclaim a sum in excess of this Claimant’s unwarranted claim, without the sum of £750 being in any way excessive as compensation for my distress, given the circumstances.
    12. My data was obtained from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) under the guise of "reasonable causes" however the land the parking charge was issued had been whole demised to me under a registered lease. They had no authority to operate on this land and so therefore no reasonable causes to obtain my details from the DVLA. Section 55 of the DPA states is an offence to unlawfully procure personal information.

And the Defendant claims:
    (a) damages, as claimed or alternatively, in such sums as the Court may find; and
    (b) all court fees arising as a result of this counter-claim.
    (c) all costs for travel/parking to attend court and loss of earnings/leave (either loss of earnings or ‘loss of leave’ being covered by 27.14.2(e))
    A statement of costs will be brought to the court hearing. Should the Claimant discontinue their own claim, this counterclaim still stands.

The Defendant believes the facts stated in this counterclaim are true.

Normally in a defence you wouldn't quote the relevant cases. You'd rely on these on the day (many defendants choose to serve a "Skeleton Argument" a few days before the hearing, which simply summarises their case and includes reference to the case law - the aim of that document is to cut down on oral submissions and make your life easier on the day, and the judge's). You could leave them in, or you could take them out, it's up to you.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Sorry, I have deleted some of your wording (where I've put suggested alternatives in red) - I couldn't work out how to strike it out.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    I also haven't picked up on every place where you've said "my". Ideally it should all be written in the third person, referring to me, my, I etc as Defendant, Defendant's etc. But again this doesn't really matter so don't stress about it.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sorry, I have deleted some of your wording (where I've put suggested alternatives in red) - I couldn't work out how to strike it out.

;)

Without spaces .. use [ s ] and [ /s ] tags. :)
  • JimmyChan
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had an email about getting a reply on this thread. Thank you so much for your help. I have added / changed all the parts you said. Also I removed the 3 points about case law from the counter claim and also moved the part about them knowing about trespass tort & DPA to the end so it flows a bit better.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    I don't think you get notified about posts on your thread, I certainly don't, you just need to check it periodically.
  • JimmyChan
    Options
    I don't think you get notified about posts on your thread, I certainly don't, you just need to check it periodically.
    I just did for this one, how strange.

Any how I have emailed my preliminary matters, defence & counterclaim. I will ring up the court later today to pay the fee.

Thanks again for all your help everyone. I will be back no doubt as things progress.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure