New Grad DFW

Comments

• ab_saver
    ab_saver Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Not a problem. I think nearly every other new grad I know lived in their overdraft for the last few months of uni at least - not that it makes it any better! I'm trying not to think about the student loan...

I feel like I can live very lavishly as compared to being a student my disposable income is much much more- even though I'm now saving 20% of my post tax income. I am optimistic that now they are a bit more organised in terms of how much I should be paid in respect to the hours required of each department- as they have to send out detailed breakdowns in advance of starting (unlike the previous system, which covered a multitude of sins).

I grew up in SE and went to uni in an expensive city in the south- it's amazing how much further my money goes here. I don't think I could have the quality of life for my family that I had growing up if I moved back.

I'm working this weekend so bracing myself for that. Just got details of my next 2 departments, which is exciting. Both promise to be extremely busy.

Now I know when I might be able to go on holiday I've had a very dangerous browse of secret escapes....
    House fund: ~£5000 / £10,000 :D_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £151.74/ 1000 _
  • Just read all of your diary - I'm about to graduate so it was really interesting reading about your journey since finishing uni! I have a grad job lined up and am trying my best not to max out my overdraft over my upcoming income-less summer!
  • ab_saver
    Just read all of your diary - I'm about to graduate so it was really interesting reading about your journey since finishing uni! I have a grad job lined up and am trying my best not to max out my overdraft over my upcoming income-less summer!

How exciting for you- honestly I loved it once the money started coming in - I was able to hit it quite hard and still have a much nicer life than as a student. That transition period is really tough, as my first month's rent and bills etc. all had to come from the overdraft before I got paid. I started my diary about 2 weeks after my first payday to keep myself motivated. Nearly 6 months on I've had the overdraft clear for ages and have saved over £1000. :D In that time I have also been on 2 holidays and generally had a life - so it is possible. To survive as a student you have to be pretty frugal so as long as you don't forget everything once you have a bit more coming in you'll be absolutely fine. Let me know if you have/ start a diary :)
  • ab_saver
    I'm enjoying my day off today - so far by doing nothing.

You may remember that I mentioned getting my bike serviced when I first started my diary but kept putting it off because it's expensive. I've finally bit the bullet and booked it in for today.

I need to get it taken across town to the bike shop though. Today will largely be a sorting my life out kind of day. I need to ensure there are enough ironed clean clothes and enough packed lunches for 4 more days as I'm back in tomorrow. I'd really like to make the flat a bit nicer as it's descended into mess again following 7 days at work in a row. It should all be fairly MSE except the bike service....
  • ab_saver wrote: »
    How exciting for you- honestly I loved it once the money started coming in - I was able to hit it quite hard and still have a much nicer life than as a student. That transition period is really tough, as my first month's rent and bills etc. all had to come from the overdraft before I got paid. I started my diary about 2 weeks after my first payday to keep myself motivated. Nearly 6 months on I've had the overdraft clear for ages and have saved over £1000. :D In that time I have also been on 2 holidays and generally had a life - so it is possible. To survive as a student you have to be pretty frugal so as long as you don't forget everything once you have a bit more coming in you'll be absolutely fine. Let me know if you have/ start a diary :)

Yep I've started a diary to try and really watch my spending between now and when I start my grad job; I'm going to end up in my overdraft no matter what I do, but hopefully I can be *less* in my overdraft. I'm also looking to put a deposit down on a house (I have £15,000 which I inherited maturing later this year in an ISA) so I'm really quite excited for the future. :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5611555
  • Sounds like you will have a pretty productive day today. Well done on sorting the bike out, it's one less thing to have hanging around the end of the to do list.

The end of uni is such an exciting time Starlighthappiness but the wait for that first graduate payday can seem very long. Was a lovely feeling the day it arrived though!! Hopefully you will pick up lots of tricks on the boards here to have a great summer without having to worry too much about the overdraft
  • ab_saver
    I'm cracking on with the list at a good pace. I found a route across town that involved lots of green space - I'm so lucky to have multiple connected parks pretty much on my doorstep. The walk back was also lovely. My uni housemates have sent me a lovely letter and some gorgeous loose leaf tea after I vented to them about how terrible my week at work had been a couple of weeks ago. Even at the best of times I have a lot of work-related stress and anxiety, so this really cheered me up.

I'm now sitting with my lovely tea instead of cleaning my kitchen...
  • You have done so well while i've been AWOL - Well done you

Sam xx
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
  • ab_saver
    You have done so well while i've been AWOL - Well done you

Sam xx

My goodness it's been ages since I've posted. I have been reading other diaries though. Work has been manic as usual. I had a delightful weekend with OH - we used some of my free cinema tickets to see Hidden Figures (AMAZING). He bought a few bits from the supermarket too so I barely paid for anything. I did buy dinner out at a wonderful local burger place on Thursday night - but it was my turn and totally worth it! OH has cooked wonderful food so I'm gorging on leftover paneer makhani tonight and risotto tomorrow. :)

I'm feeling pretty good money wise. The MSE credit club has my credit score in the excellent category :j:j Noddle and clear score also looking pretty healthy - so I think I'm going to apply for that partnership card so I get some points on my spending - especially before OH and I book some much needed holidays! :D

We had some good discussions about life and house buying etc. We should have a good deposit together this time next year, together with enough money left for some furniture. We're planning to get a joint account to put all our rent/mortgage and bills in. :)
  • ab_saver
    Work continues to be mayhem. I'm really looking forward to more sociable working hours in my new department and not having to start at 7:30am! It'll be a late one tonight as I change over to nights for the weekend.

I've had a spendy couple of days as I went for impromptu dinner out and cocktails with some work friends last night. My share of the bill was only £21 and it was so nice to have a bit of a life - and vent about work a bit. I bought a posh coffee at work today, and half a brownie - a small indulgence but much needed after the time I've had. I hardly ever buy coffee at work - or lunch - usually because I don't have time to get to the nice caf! at the other end of the building!

I'm doing really well money-wise, but have a few big spends on the horizon. I need to buy train tickets down south to see my parents on the Easter bank holiday weekend, and also across to see my grandparents the week before. I'm going to hold off on the outward leg of that as I might be going on a course in Manchester en route to the grandparents' place.

The list is getting a bit better. I have quite a bit to do - so I'm going to write a new list. How fun is my life? I'm doing much better from a work-related stress point of view, remarkably. I had been doing a lot of mindfulness / meditation, but I have lapsed. I have been taking 'mindful moments' (fancy term for stepping out and taking a few deep breaths) and that's helped me keep my head in the game when it's all going wrong.

Time for a bargain dinner of special offer frozen fish with reduced veg. Yum :D

ETA - I've added my prolific payout to my EF which is now a healthy £74.69, with a bit more to go in. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport