PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lids for foil containers

Been on cupboard and freezer eat down for last 6 weeks (break for Christmas week!) and have just made 8 portions of veggie curry from left over veggies and 3 tins of curry sauce at back of cupboard (must have been on special offer). I'm going to freeze all 8 which brings me to quite a daft question but I'm curious ..... if I'm freezing stuff like this, which once defrosted we'll re-heat on the hob, then I will wash out the foil container for re-use. Obviously means I use up the lids as they go all bendy on de-frosting (plus I don't fancy re-using those). At the mo I just use freezer proof cling film if I've got more containers than lids, but what do other folks use? Could I recycle cereal boxes for instance?

Comments

• Lakeland sell spare lids.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    recycled cereal box is fine, personally I find foil containers too much of a faff aboutto wash, I prefer the plastic take a way type boxes you can get in poundlabd, 99p store etc, pack of ten and can be used many times.
    Slimming World at target
  • marmalize
    marmalize Posts: 159 Forumite
    i just use a double thickness of foil then if you lay it over the foil tray then sort of push it against the edge and roll the trays edge inwards it traps the foil (like it does with the cardbaord type lids..work your way round and cut off or scrunch under the excess ...(it's easier to do than explain ) once frozen they can be stacked as normal
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I use foil too! exactly the way marmalize does! Snap! I write on it with permanent marker.
  • mojod
    mojod Posts: 56 Forumite
    eBay pretty good for both types of container with lids
  • Good idea for the foil, thank you! I've been finding the cling film comes off in the freezer, stupidly never thought of using foil.

Re the plastic boxes, I do use those for soup, sauces etc but find they absorb odour and colour from things like curries and chillies, hence the foil dishes.

Back to the eat down, I reckon another 2 - 3 weeks of just buying fresh stuff, makes the start to the New Year feel not quite so hard!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure