Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Thomas Cook ONLY

Options

Comments

• rusty_frog
    Options
    Early days, Rusty, early days...;)

:rotfl:

Would love to know just how many claims are being disputed by TC.

They have had 3 holidays off me and the OH for the last few years. Needless to say I wont be travelling to any sunny shores with them for the foreseeable future.
    ;)
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• maghater
    maghater Posts: 349 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    rusty_frog wrote: »
    :rotfl:

Would love to know just how many claims are being disputed by TC.

They have had 3 holidays off me and the OH for the last few years. Needless to say I wont be travelling to any sunny shores with them for the foreseeable future.
    ;)

I understand that they don't want to shell any cash out, who does. They however operate out of the Uk and therefor have to abide by EU/ UK law. All they are doing is putting a lot of peoples backs up. I get the impression from browsing this forum that TC is one of the worst companies to deal with as regards flight delay. I and my friends have spent many thousands of pounds with them over the last 10 years or so, none of us will be doing so again. I am also making it my business to inform as many people at work down the pub etc.,how my case is progressing, have built up quite a following, none of it bodes well for TC. Hope they don't go to the wall till I get my compensation. I never thought of myself as a vindictive person but 7 months dealing with that shower has changed that
  • rusty_frog
    Options
    maghater wrote: »
    I understand that they don't want to shell any cash out, who does. They however operate out of the Uk and therefor have to abide by EU/ UK law. All they are doing is putting a lot of peoples backs up. I get the impression from browsing this forum that TC is one of the worst companies to deal with as regards flight delay. I and my friends have spent many thousands of pounds with them over the last 10 years or so, none of us will be doing so again. I am also making it my business to inform as many people at work down the pub etc.,how my case is progressing, have built up quite a following, none of it bodes well for TC. Hope they don't go to the wall till I get my compensation. I never thought of myself as a vindictive person but 7 months dealing with that shower has changed that

I, like you, are not 'consciously' going to give TC any future business.
    Let me clarify that.

Competition in the package holiday market is getting less and less.
    Tui/Thompson and TC are the biggest UK players who in turn own god knows how many other 'brand' names.

Even when trying to avoid TC by going to smaller independent operators, you run the risk that the flight will be provided by either Monarch, TC, or Thompson.

I recently discovered, after almost completing a booking online, and just before paying, that the flight chosen, bore a TCX number.
    I pulled out.

If anyone is trying to avoid TC Airlines, then beware.

They provide a lot of seats to the travel market!
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!

• cfpg02
    cfpg02 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    No harm at all in getting the CAA's view on this (currently 16-18 weeks for a full response). From others' experiences of the court timescale, you are probably looking at 4 months for a claim to get to a hearing from initiating legal proceedings via MCOL or your local County Court.

I both sent my second letter to TC by registered post and by email to [EMAIL="dob@thomascook.com"]dob@thomascook.com[/EMAIL]. I got an email back within 2 hours with their second standard letter attached. The one that says "having carried out a full investigation thespecific circumstances surrounding the delay to your own flight were of atechnical nature, which were extraordinary, despite Thomas Cook taking allreasonable precautions necessary to prevent the situation. All aircraft canexperience technical problems that are totally unforeseen, despite all reasonableattempts to ensure they are maintained to a good standard, in line with CAAregulations.".

I have replied again asking for the third time for full details of the "technical nature" and also written to CAA.

I understand the delay was caused by problems earlier in the day with another plane, and our plane was rerouted to deal with other passengers before arriving late in Rhodes, where it actually turned round pretty quickly.
    I'm no longer sure if I have a valid claim. Any thoughts?
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cfpg02 wrote: »
    I both sent my second letter to TC by registered post and by email to [EMAIL="dob@thomascook.com"]dob@thomascook.com[/EMAIL]. I got an email back within 2 hours with their second standard letter attached. The one that says "having carried out a full investigation the specific circumstances surrounding the delay to your own flight were of a technical nature, which were extraordinary, despite Thomas Cook taking all reasonable precautions necessary to prevent the situation. All aircraft can experience technical problems that are totally unforeseen, despite all reasonable attempts to ensure they are maintained to a good standard, in line with CAA regulations.".

I have replied again asking for the third time for full details of the "technical nature" and also written to CAA.

I understand the delay was caused by problems earlier in the day with another plane, and our plane was rerouted to deal with other passengers before arriving late in Rhodes, where it actually turned round pretty quickly.
    I'm no longer sure if I have a valid claim. Any thoughts?

Of course you have. A plane 'going tech' is not an EC.
    Time for a LBA with 14 days notice or commence court action.

Include wording along the lines of the judgement where it says that the onus is on yourselves to provide proof that the circumstances were extraordinary, and not inherent technical problems in line with your day to day operations, which you have clearly failed to do, therefore you put them on notice... 14 days... blah blah... court action be filed... etc
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    Do DJ's have regional/national meetings to discuss trends in types of small claims?

The LCJ sends memos lol

Seriously.
    They get updates, basically the outcome in a nutshell.
  • MCSAVE
    MCSAVE Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2013 at 11:07AM
    Options
    MCSAVE wrote: »
    I've had a reply from the CAA, basically telling me that they will request info from TC and get back to. TC have acknowledged service of my MCOL claim, so I'll wait for their defence. Question for the experts, if TC decide to defend the case, which I expect, will I be able to wait for the CAA information before the hearing? Obviously that would add weight to my claim or TC's defence depending on the CAA's judgement.

Can anybody help re the above?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MCSAVE wrote: »
    Can anybody help re the above?

What have Santander got to do with the price of fish?
  • Mark2spark
    Options
    But you could extend the hearing date by not being available for the first dates offered, in which time the CAA outcome might be available.
    Assuming the hearing comes through quickly I mean.
  • doz123
    doz123 Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am still waiting for a reply from Thomas Cook about my delayed flights to and from Santorini.
    Outgoing flight TCX 908K was due to take off 11am 31-8-2010 but finally took off at 7pm, 8 hours delay. On Flight Stats states it took off at 11.30am. I contacted them and they stated if I was going to make a claim they could not give me that information.

The returning flight from Santorini TCX 908L 14-9-2010 shows the correct information on flight stats flight delayed 400 minutes.

I have written to Thomas Cook again giving them 14 days to answer.

Would the CAA be able to find out the reason for the delays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure