PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Comments

• pollys wrote: »
    ...I noticed that b&q had some willies in so will get some for the teenagers....

I'm such a child but this really made me giggle - thank you :)
    ...Nothing lovelier than some little candles dotted around the living room when watching tv on a dark evening. No kids or pets here, so reasonably safe to do!

I do like to have some candles burning - they give off a little bit of warmth but they make me *feel* warmer, if you know what I mean! Unfortunately with Sammy-Cat and Willie Wonka at home it's not a sensible thing to do.

So, prepping for winter ... In this house that means having at least a week's food stashed on the top of the larder. I don't have the pennies to start doing that yet but hope to be better placed next month. I'd like to get Yak-Trax (sp?) this year as my clumpy boots are 95% slip-proof, I hate slipping and would rather be 100% steady on my feet. Flannel sheets sound like bliss and a curtain for the front door would help but my priority is getting in enough food for me and the two monsters!
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
  • Hi all,

All of your posts have helped me so will post my prep list:

Check dd's wellies fit
    Stock up medicine cabinet (Thinking paracetamol, calpol, strefen, lemsip sachet & pill types (these are for dh!!!) & ibuprofen)
    Car check (anti-freeze, oil, break fluid, screen wash, tyre pressure.
    Car 'kit' (Blankets (just need to wash), snacks (biscuits) water, cardboard to put the wet pushchair wheels on and to use in case of needing to get the car out of the snow.
    Tumble dryer balls - bought
    Bleed the rads (not exactly sure how or what to do this but my mother does :o)
    Buy shoe storage, bought for the front door but need to get small shelving/boot tray for the utility back door where dh likes to dump his boots/trainers.
    Need to buy a good outdoor broom
    Doormat for front & back door, welcome suggestions, largeish and absorbent required!
    Buy dd hat, scarf & gloves
    Put blinds up in the childrens bedrooms
    Start to put a store cupboard together (where does everyone store their extras? or do you use and then replace?)

I love the feeling of hibernating & to batten down the hatches. I've finally got dh on board this year and at some point between now & end of oct we're going to have a big top to bottom autumn clean, an little repairs/odd jobs and a deep clean in each room.
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round :santa2:
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I put the heating on this morning whilst I was getting ready. I have until now had the thermostat turned right down and the timer to come on only for 10 mins twice a day so I think heating for 15 mins in the morning will make things a little more bearable. I went back downstairs last night (after going to bed) to get something from the living room. The heat in my livingroom is unbelievable and thats without heating. I splurged on extra insulation (floor) when putting down the laminate thinking it would be cold but its the warmest room in the house!

I think I'll be packing a lot of my summer stuff away too, but I've just read an article saying we're due a heatwave..... er, really? Doesn't feel like it.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    noodles86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bleed the rads (not exactly sure how or what to do this but my mother does :o)

Start to put a store cupboard together (where does everyone store their extras? or do you use and then replace?)

I love the feeling of hibernating & to batten down the hatches. I've finally got dh on board this year and at some point between now & end of oct we're going to have a big top to bottom autumn clean, an little repairs/odd jobs and a deep clean in each room.

can anyone tell me, the radiators in this flat are brand new and they first got the water flowing through them and the new boiler system going in late may. we've used them a handful of times when it was cold then, do i need to flush them before winter since they weren't really used much?

for my store cupboard i keep my extras in a few places, i bought an old desk with fold out doors that have storage bits and loads of drawers and cubbies in the middle and that holds the bulk, i also repurposed a metal shoerack to use in the bottom of my wardrobe and that holds most of the remaining items.

i too love the battening down the hatches thing, it was always part of the excitement of knowing there was a big blizzard coming when i was a kid, prepping for winter just lets me enjoy it all that much longer :p
  • Confuzzled wrote: »
    can anyone tell me, the radiators in this flat are brand new and they first got the water flowing through them and the new boiler system going in late may. we've used them a handful of times when it was cold then, do i need to flush them before winter since they weren't really used much?

for my store cupboard i keep my extras in a few places, i bought an old desk with fold out doors that have storage bits and loads of drawers and cubbies in the middle and that holds the bulk, i also repurposed a metal shoerack to use in the bottom of my wardrobe and that holds most of the remaining items.

i too love the battening down the hatches thing, it was always part of the excitement of knowing there was a big blizzard coming when i was a kid, prepping for winter just lets me enjoy it all that much longer :p

Turn on your central heating and let all the radiators warm up until they are as hot as they get. Check they are all hot from top to bottom. If there are any that aren't as hot or unevenly hot they probably need bleeding. It should've been done when installed which wasn't that long ago so they're probably fine. It's an easy fix though if they need bleeding. :)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 2 September 2013 at 9:31PM
    Doormat for front & back door, welcome suggestions, largeish and absorbent required!

I have these.. when they get dirty.. I put them in my washing machine and they come up like new
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • pigpen wrote: »
    I have these.. when they get dirty.. I put them in my washing machine and they come up like new

Thanks pigpen, where did you get yours from please?
    Spreading a little Christmas joy all year round :santa2:
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thanks pigpen, where did you get yours from please?

sorry.. I neglected to add the link.. dealing with a pesky baby..

here
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    That did make me giggle Pollys. B and Q now sell willies. Presumably you meant wellies.

Oh my goodness I really should put my glasses on when using my iPad :o

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We went to Ikea at the weekend for some bits for DS bedroom and I picked up 2 cream fleeces and some tea light holders. The cream fleeces are lovely and soft. They are to line our bedroom curtains which are teal green but very thin. You can see the cream through them and I would have preferred a different colour but they only had a few cream or ornage and masses of purple left. I have also bought some thread to sew them and also to line DS curtains. I just need to work out how to use the sewing machine I got for Christmas 2 years ago that is still in it's box.:o

DH has requested a couple of V neck navy jumpers for work so I will keep my eyes peeled for them. He has also requested a onesie for lounging about it but I am resisting :eek::rotfl:He could do with something to put on though as he is a terror for sitting in a tshirt and blasting the fire on which drives me mad.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills