Buying an Audi

2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jimjames wrote: »
    Interesting point, is mileage a problem if the low miles are all done on motorway? My understanding is that it was short journeys that's the issue not low miles themselves

Correct. If the majority of that 5000 miles a year is going to be from going out on Sunday rides, drivnig to/from holiday and visiting distant relatives then no problem. If it is going to be from going to Tesco and back then you'll have issues.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It's still worth looking at petrol though; you'll get more car for the money and it'll be nicer to drive. At that mileage the increased fuel costs won't be that bad at all.

With that mileage for a family car I'd take the biggest petrol engine I can find - noone wants them because they only look at the mpg figure.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Correct. If the majority of that 5000 miles a year is going to be from going out on Sunday rides, drivnig to/from holiday and visiting distant relatives then no problem. If it is going to be from going to Tesco and back then you'll have issues.

Those sort of miles would still worry me in a diesel though, irrespective of actual journey styles.

No reason at all not to be going petrol - better for the environment apparently and you could end up getting the equivalent petrol variant for less than the price of the diesel one.
  • motorguy
    Herzlos wrote: »
    With that mileage for a family car I'd take the biggest petrol engine I can find - noone wants them because they only look at the mpg figure.

I'm currently looking for something like that to replace the Passat - a big v6 petrol Merc or a straight six (probably turbo'd) BMW and i'm finding the opposite - (a) they're like hens teeth, (b) they're never cheap and (c) are snapped up very quickly.
  • geek84
    geek84 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Many thanks indeed for all your feedback
  • Have you actually done any research about the Audi A4/A6?

Seems like you just want an Audi, because its an Audi.
  • We’ve not had the obligitury Ford Mondeo recommendation yet so here it is. Get a Mondeo, much better value and dare I say it? Just as good.
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do make sure you research the Audi properly. I have to say although ours is a perfectly fine car, there are silly things in implementation that are just unnecessary - that folding mirrors can't be set to fold with locking, front parking sensors that require a button to get them to activate, the selector knob that turns the opposite way from other cars (you turn anti-clockwise to go forward through the alphabet, or down a list which is different to just about everyone else in the world), awkward to use cruise control on some models. Going back a bit, they were also hard to get in full leather which if you want an interior with a long life I rate as an important factor in a premium car. These are obviously my pet niggles, but I can't be alone.

The main thing is that they have stuck to the low initial spec + extras pricing while Merc and BMW have moved on to including features, so unless you drop on run out models, it is far too easy to buy and discover it is missing a feature you value, and you'll be irritated by it forever more.
  • motorguy
    We’ve not had the obligitury Ford Mondeo recommendation yet so here it is. Get a Mondeo, much better value and dare I say it? Just as good.

Possibly, arguably, probably.

Same can be said for a Passat or Superb.

Personal choice though really.

I've personally never got excited about (most) Audis, therefore i went for a Passat. Worked out cheaper than the equivalent Superb due to huge numbers being available.
  • The main thing is that they have stuck to the low initial spec + extras pricing while Merc and BMW have moved on to including features, so unless you drop on run out models, it is far too easy to buy and discover it is missing a feature you value, and you'll be irritated by it forever more.

When I bought an Audi about ten years back the glove box light was an optional extra (it was part of a 'pack' and in order to get an ipod to work properly in the car required specifying the navigation system at £2k.

Fortunately things have improved in that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure