The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread!

Options

Comments

• gwyneth_valiant
    Options
    Well well well, I'll have to up my game. I've basically put together a budget and I'll be aiming to save 40% of my take-home pay. Jan-Feb have been a bit s*** from my side, but hopefully, March onwards should see me picking up my savings rate!
    #115 - Save £12k in 2019 challenge: £13152.85/29419.55 - 44%:beer:
    Save 100k by March 31st 2021: £38890.27/100k - 38% :j
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I pay my savings, 1/12th of my target, as soon as I get paid. Most of mine in currently going straight into an extra pension that I will take as a cash sum in September when I retire, and so I never even see it. So it is always a "neat" number. There are some months when I've got a bit extra left over or a little windfall, so that gets rolled up into the next month's.

I don't count money in my current account, so that's where all the raggy ends of money are!

Ooh no, I couldn't cope with all those raggedy bits now I've been tidying for a few months, and it really has made a difference to the amount I am stashing
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Just popping in to say you are all doing amazing folks! I've only managed to save just over £70 this year but my focus is on paying my debt and I've knocked nearly a grand off since the beginning of the year so I am pleased with my progress on that side.

Look forward to saving the big bucks along with you when I'm debt free :D
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • Jo_Blogs
    Jo_Blogs Posts: 753 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Evening everyone,

............. but my focus is on paying my debt and I've knocked nearly a grand off since the beginning of the year so I am pleased with my progress on that side.

Look forward to saving the big bucks along with you when I'm debt free :D

Well done :T:T - keep up the great effort everyone, some great saving :);)
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44:starmod: for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 ;)Sept NSDs 4/15:staradminCCCChl 9/12 months:D
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all, hope your March month is going well and you're saving load of pennies :p

This thread was 4 pages back so wanted to post and check in with you all - great motivation on here! :beer:

Im not doing to bad this month, managed to save £1200 so far and hopefully another £600 to go till end of March update :). Husband got promotion at work so annual salary gone up another 6k. Awesome news for us! I hope to blow my 8k target on here by summer :eek:.

Ill check in at end of month for main total - keep pushing hard everyone :T xxx
    "Don't underestimate the value of financial security"

Wanting to be mortgage free by 45. £155,000 start / £86,880 currently

• CrabbitDutchie
    Options
    How do people tend to deal with bonuses or pay raises?

I've found myself in the slightly odd position where I've recently been promoted and have just been told I'll also be receiving a completely unexpected bonus (£590 after tax) which will hit my account at the same time as the pay increase.

So I'm now trying to work out how to best deal with the unexpected extra before it hits my bank account and I make silly decisions.

Any advice (apart from save all of it ;) )?
    Save 12K in 2018 #20 - £20,890/£18,000 (116%) November £1950
    Save 12K in 2017 #46 - £13,184/£12,000 (109.87%):D
    Save 12K in 2016 #184 - £4,608/£4500 (102.4%) :D
  • pennystretcher
    pennystretcher Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 March 2017 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Round robin with savings and keep the money saved in the best paying account you can get. I am still paying off my mortgage, but as I can get more interest in regular savings etc and waiting, waiting and waiting and paying the gained interest in my mortgage account financially it makes sense...

You have a target. Make a small grid on paper where you colour in the blocks of your savings target and stick it on your fridge door. And remember to make your saved money to work the hardest you can, whether it is regular savings, ISAs etc. I have received some bonuses during my lifetime, usually just absorbing the bonus and spending it or paying off debts. After ten years I actually went and spent a small bonus I got from a project on something I liked and in a 50% off sale was a total bargain. After that I had my LBM, my retirement is more important than splurging on something one off. But if you feel like spoiling yourself, set yourself a limit of 5%, 10% or something like that of the bonus and save the rest. You will not regret it later, I promise. :)
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options

I've found myself in the slightly odd position where I've recently been promoted and have just been told I'll also be receiving a completely unexpected bonus (£590 after tax) which will hit my account at the same time as the pay increase.

So I'm now trying to work out how to best deal with the unexpected extra before it hits my bank account and I make silly decisions.

I have had the occasional unexpected 'windfall' since joining these threads. I usually split the money, some into long term savings, some into my rainy day fund but hold a little back to treat myself to something frivolous.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • kitjos
    kitjos Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Hummm... I guess long term pay rise i include it all into our saving scheme. That's what ive done in our case with husband's promotion. Instead of 12k per year we could poss save, its now around 17k py so that's my (inner) goal as of now. Lump sum payment i guess id put approx 70% into savings and give the rest to hubby or use it for a day out to theme park etc. Need to also enjoy and have a life while saving :p xx
    "Don't underestimate the value of financial security"

Wanting to be mortgage free by 45. £155,000 start / £86,880 currently

• MissMarble
    MissMarble Posts: 69 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Very late update from me - I recently started a new job and so I've been quite caught up in that. I'm declaring £250 for February which is a bit of a cheat update as it's a standing order I've made into my super saving account once I get paid.

I have saved some extra money but it's my boyfriend's birthday this month and I've used that load of savings towards his gift. Some may count it as a saving, but I know it will soon leave the account so as I think I've said before my savings I focus on with this thread is more bigger things - I.e. House deposit!

My boyfriend and I are also saving into a holiday fund which a slice of my savings go into - it again it's expected to leave that account. Once March is over I think I'll be able to add more into the deposit fund.

I've had a bit of a re-think in terms of how I'm budgeting and recording our spends and as well as noting things in my journal - I've created a couple of spreadsheet pages which are work in progress!

Hope everyone is having a great month!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport