Balance transfer before receiving card?

faddy
faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
If you successfully apply for a balance transfer card and don't request a transfer during the application, can you request one before the card arrives? (Generally, though I'm guessing it varies from company to company)

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    The cards I've had recently have each allowed many transfers within three months of the application, and all at the promotional 0% rate. Check the small print, it should confirm that for you.
  • faddy
    ic wrote: »
    The cards I've had recently have each allowed many transfers within three months of the application, and all at the promotional 0% rate. Check the small print, it should confirm that for you.
    Thanks, I knew about the three month thing but I was wondering if you can do one after acceptance but before card arrives - one possible issue being that you don't know the new card number until it arrives.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Ah I get you - certainly with my Virgin card I needed the card to be able to log in to access the screen for doing more transfers. No idea if you could call the call centre and do it without the card.
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Just give them a call. They usually take the details over the phone and process the transfer.

Or, once you have signed up for online account management, you should be able to do this request from your account although some issuers still require you to call in.
  • faddy
    maxximus75 wrote: »
    Just give them a call. They usually take the details over the phone and process the transfer.

Even if you haven't yet received the card so don't know the card number?
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Yes.

They will get you through security using other details and once passed, will take the details of the card you want to transfer to and that's about it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure