So frustrated, I could scream.......

melbury
melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Following on from my previous post:

I contacted Virgin Mobile about getting an unlocking code, which the did provide. They said I need to put in the sim card from my new provider and then put in the unlocking code. Tried about a dozen times, but just get the message SIM not valid:mad:

Phoned Virgin three times and went through the whole thing with three different people who just kept repeating themselves and in the end said it must be a problem with the sim card and I should contact 02.

Went on chat with 02 and they said I need to put in the unlocking code with the old Virgin sim card still in the phone.

Well I have done this a few times and absolutely get no message or guidance whatsoever. If I press the main button it just tries to call the unlock number, which of course doesn't work.

PLEASE has anyone successfully managed to unlock an old Nokia 1100 from Virgin Mobile? What am I doing wrong?
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    VM are correct O2 not so. Why would the phone need an unlock code for the network it's locked too?

Do you have a special attachement to a 15 year old phone?
  • melbury
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    VM are correct O2 not so. Why would the phone need an unlock code for the network it's locked too?

Do you have a special attachement to a 15 year old phone?

Yes, I am very fond of it and also know how to use it:o

Also there is nothing wrong with the phone, it does exactly what I want it to. Why is everything so complicated?

They gave me this 15 digit number but it doesn't seem to work.

• Inner_Zone
    I'm surprised to has allowed about 15 -20 attempts, most phone lock themselves after a few and then require a PUK code.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You only get 3 attempts iirc.

This is the procedure (and some dim memory says Virgin used the +7 code as well, but it’s so long ago I may be wrong and it could be +1).

Oh, and these instructions are correct, the code is entered with no SIM card in the phone.
    Nokia 1100 unlocking instructions

Warning : Do not enter any wrong unlock codes on your Nokia 1100 mobile phones. If you enter over a certain amount of wrong unlock codes on your Nokia 1100 mobile phone, your phone may get permanently locked and sometimes become unusable.

1 - Switch on your Nokia 1100 without any sim card.
    2 - Don't bother as to what is displayed on your Nokia 1100.
    3 - Compose #pw+CODE+1#.
    4 - The Nokia 1100 would then display the message "SIM Restriction Off" and will be unlocked!

Note :For Nokia 1100 mobile phones locked to the network Fido or Rogers in Canada follow these instructions :
    1 - Switch on your Nokia 1100 without any sim card.
    2 - Don't bother as to what is displayed on your Nokia 1100.
    3 - Compose #pw+CODE+7#.
    4 - The Nokia 1100 would then display the message "SIM Restriction Off" and will be unlocked!

The letter p appears if you press the button star(*) three times quickly
    The letter w appears if you press the button star(*) four times quickly
    The symbol + appears if you press the button star(*) two times quickly
    The CODE you need to enter is the unique unlock code for your Nokia 1100
    ====
  • d123
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    I'm surprised to has allowed about 15 -20 attempts, most phone lock themselves after a few and then require a PUK code.

That would only apply to incorrect PIN entry, after locking out the network code the phone simply ignores any further input and needs to be reset with a master code (from Nokia) or unlocking software iirc.
    ====
  • Inner_Zone
    I realise that thought it also applied to network locks maybe I am wrong. :D
  • melbury
    d123 wrote: »
    You only get 3 attempts iirc.

This is the procedure (and some dim memory says Virgin used the +7 code as well, but it’s so long ago I may be wrong and it could be +1).

Oh, and these instructions are correct, the code is entered with no SIM card in the phone.

Tried this but no luck. It won't let me put in anything except numbers - letters and # etc don't work.

Just says"insert sim"

Thanks anyway.

• d123
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:14PM
    melbury wrote: »
    Tried this but no luck. It won't let me put in anything except numbers - letters and # etc don't work.

Just says"insert sim"

Thanks anyway.

It definitely works as per the instructions, did you read how the p and w are entered?

Remember, NO simcard in the phone...

I presume you’ve used up all your attempts.

All the old Nokia’s of that time unlocked with the #pw+ method.
    ====
  • melbury
    edited 10 January 2018 at 8:37PM
    d123 wrote: »
    It definitely works as per the instructions, did you read how the p and w are entered?

Remember, NO simcard in the phone...

I presume you’ve used up all your attempts.

All the old Nokia’s of that time unlocked with the #pw+ method.

My OH managed to type it all in, but then it just says "code error."

The number is definitely the one given to me by Virgin. Do you actually have to type in the +?

Does the 15 digit unlock number only let you have three attempts then? Virgin did not tell me this.

• d123
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:17PM
    melbury wrote: »
    My OH managed to type it all in, but then it just says "code error."

The number is definitely the one given to me by Virgin. Do you actually have to type in the +?

Does the 15 digit unlock number only let you have three attempts then? Virgin did not tell me this.

Yes, you must include the +1# on the end, it requires the whole string to work.

So, example, #pw+12345678910+1#

And, yes, there is a finite number, I haven’t dealt with such old phones for well over 10 years so don’t remember exactly. I think it was 3, but it may have been 5.

Edit

Here’s a more detailed description.
    General Information about your Nokia 1100 unlock code

When you receive your email with your unique Nokia 1100 unlocking codes, you may see there's actually more than one code.

Depending on your model you may receive two codes for newer phones or seven codes for older Nokia models
    (Please see below for some examples)
    If you receive a code without the #pw+ at the beginning or EG +1# at the end, then you need to add this to the code before you enter it.
    For example, if you receive 418636523456123, then the code is actually #pw+418636523456123+1# (Should normally be +1# on the end).

PLEASE NOTE

WHEN ENTERING A CODE, be very carefull, Nokia models only allow 3 attempts to enter a code, after this they will lock themselves.
    When you enter a code and it returns an error code, STOP and contact us, making a note of the error exact message. If you continue it will affect your chances of a refund.
    However it is worth trying to use your new SIM as some phones can falsly report a 'Code Error'

How to enter your Nokia unlocking code

Use the * (Star) Key to get the p w and + characters.

Press * key 3 times for p
    Press * key 4 times for w
    Press * key 2 times for +
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business