Keeping Money and Family Separate

Options
124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Like i said that was a hypothetical situation....just an example of the sort of thing that can be quite draining, both mentally and financially.

I wouldn't necessarily accept offer of payment towards fuel etc. but it would be nice to be offered!! If I were the one wanting others to go out of their way for me, I would be offering, regardless of the financial situation of the person helping.

I was really trying to get at how people are treated differently within families, based whether you have money or not. and if you do...things are assumed.

Anyway, i guess i was just wanting a bit of a rant....but i can't post the specifics, as we have a very unique and strange family dynamic when it comes to finances...and they'd recognise themselves immeditately if i told the whole story (and if they read it - i'd be mortified)

I love them, but they take up too much of my headspace with their financial dramas....and i have a feeling i'm going to be left holding the financial can somewhere down the line.

I'd like to be able to just see them and spend time with them, without there being an alterior motive that seems to end up costing me money!

:rotfl:

Yes this sounds very familiar.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:05PM
    Options
    I'm not sure. It used to bother me that they never say thank you. It does irk me slightly that they're not in the least bit shy about how much they order in restaurants or suggest a restaurant that is a bit pricey. For example, a couple of years ago I invited my family to the panto, I invited them so I paid for all the tickets - no problem there. My mum then offered to take everyone out for dinner afterwards and suggested a Frankie and Benny's type place but instead my brother wants to go to some fancier and therefore more expensive Italian restaurant. They're not shy about ordering beer, wine, etc but guess who the designated drivers are...mum and I.

I've never done it again. I don't quite know how to feel about it because on one hand I think they take the Michael but on the other if we are going out as a family I do want them to enjoy themselves.

Dad has a significant birthday coming up this year and I think he would like a family meal at his favourite restaurant so I might just have to suck it up. It doesn't help that eating meals with them is like feeding time at the zoo. No table manners whatsoever.

I get the point about your brother choosing a more expensive restaurant. That's up to your mum to speak up if she only wants to pay for a chain. But surely you'd have still been the designated drivers whichever restaurant you went to?
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure. It used to bother me that they never say thank you. It does irk me slightly that they're not in the least bit shy about how much they order in restaurants or suggest a restaurant that is a bit pricey. For example, a couple of years ago I invited my family to the panto, I invited them so I paid for all the tickets - no problem there. My mum then offered to take everyone out for dinner afterwards and suggested a Frankie and Benny's type place but instead my brother wants to go to some fancier and therefore more expensive Italian restaurant. They're not shy about ordering beer, wine, etc but guess who the designated drivers are...mum and I.

I've never done it again. I don't quite know how to feel about it because on one hand I think they take the Michael but on the other if we are going out as a family I do want them to enjoy themselves.

Dad has a significant birthday coming up this year and I think he would like a family meal at his favourite restaurant so I might just have to suck it up. It doesn't help that eating meals with them is like feeding time at the zoo. No table manners whatsoever.

But you dont need to take responsibility for everything - I mean, don't be the designated driver, get a taxi or have a drink and relax - I mean they are all adults and should be able to get themselves home safely. It is not your problem who enjoys themselves and who doesnt
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

If it bothers you enough that you subsidise your family's expensive eating & drinking habits, say 'no' to their restaurant suggestions.
    And tell them you'll pay for what you eat & drink.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I really dislike the expectation that I will leave my money to anyone in particular when I die. I earned it, I'll leave it to whomever I want (or even spend it all!) I'm unmarried with no kids and I'm sure certain members of the family are probably rubbing their hands at the thought of a windfall when I croak.

Having said that, if I planned to leave it all to charity and leave all F&F out of my will, I'd want to explain why before the unexpected happens. Similarly, if there were anything that were "uneven" (e.g., leaving more to one nephew than to another), I'd probably either explain it beforehand or explain it to the executors.

I think wills are the biggest source of grief because the cause of any perceived unfairness is deceased, so you can't ask Why. And like it or not, uneven treatment can be perceived as saying something about how much you liked one person over another.

At least with the living, you can talk out perceived injustices.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    If it bothers you enough that you subsidise your family's expensive eating & drinking habits, say 'no' to their restaurant suggestions.

Have to agree with this. Some people put up with crap and moan about it rather than sticking up for themselves (not referring to the OP there).

I know several friends and family who no longer give money to people who don't know how to say Thank You. I've loaned money to friends in the past and despite several, "Oh, I must pay you back that 50 quid" episodes, I never saw it again. Guess what? The money is written off and no further loans ... (I've given plenty of cash gifts also, but there is a distinct difference between a loan and a gift).
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    Have to agree with this. Some people put up with crap and moan about it rather than sticking up for themselves (not referring to the OP there).

I know several friends and family who no longer give money to people who don't know how to say Thank You. I've loaned money to friends in the past and despite several, "Oh, I must pay you back that 50 quid" episodes, I never saw it again. Guess what? The money is written off and no further loans ... (I've given plenty of cash gifts also, but there is a distinct difference between a loan and a gift).

It's often posted on these boards that you should never lend money unless you're prepared to never see it again. I agree.

I'd never been asked for a loan until a few months back. I told the person concerned to consider it a gift. She was embarrassed at having to ask but I have to say that she's gone down in my estimation at putting herself in that position. Basically she'd given up a job before getting another one (against my advice which was asked for at the time) and then found it tough without a pay cheque for a month or so. I know while she and her DH were both working they had plenty of money coming in so shouldn't have been living month to month. Obviously living beyond their means.

So, to come back to OP. Yes, I'd still drive the MIL around and give her lunch or whatever (provided you can afford it) but I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. Don't forget though, you're in control of the situation. If you want to stop you can, just like if my 'friend' gets into a mess again through drifting from job to job I don't need to help out.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm still waiting for some Christmas thankyou's, not had so much as a text!. Maybe Santa's going to miss their chimneys next year!! - but no doubt that'd cause a ruck.

I'm not a pushover by any means....but if I were to speak my mind and put my foot down, it would only cause ill feeling...if not irreparable damage. So i'll suck it up on the small stuff...but if they really start to take the pxxx, then they'd better watch out!!!

Someone earlier mentioned that maybe they reciprocate in other ways/times. Err No. We are pretty self sufficient and haven't had to ask for anything from them, or help with anything, and now, even if we did NEED them, they wouldn't be able to help. One way traffic there.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 January 2018 at 11:20AM
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I get the point about your brother choosing a more expensive restaurant. That's up to your mum to speak up if she only wants to pay for a chain. But surely you'd have still been the designated drivers whichever restaurant you went to?

Yes my mum should have put her foot down but for an easy life she just says yes. It happened a lot when we were young which is why I guess he still throws tantrums as an adult. For example, when I took them on on holiday he had a massive tantrum at the airport which was all my fault apparently. I like getting to the airport in plenty of time whereas my brother flies by the seat of his pants and is known to regularly miss busses, trains, planes, turn up late for job interviews, etc. I don't smoke so it didn't register with me that there is nowhere to smoke after security at this particular airport. Him not being able to have a cigarette was all my fault because I got them to the airport "too early."

I end up being the designated driver because my parents live in a small village where public transport, particularly in the evenings, is poor and whilst we could get a taxi my dad is one of those people who has an issue with using taxis (waste of money etc etc). When I come to visit I stay with my parents so it's a taxi or someone drives. My dad can't see well enough to drive at night and when my dad is a passenger in their car my mum is a nervous wreck driving so I end up doing it. My brother's family live elsewhere and yes should really be paying for their own transportation but then if I'm taking my car (with dad as a passenger) she will drive her car.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    But you dont need to take responsibility for everything - I mean, don't be the designated driver, get a taxi or have a drink and relax - I mean they are all adults and should be able to get themselves home safely. It is not your problem who enjoys themselves and who doesnt

You are absolutely right, I shouldn't take responsibility for everything. I do it to keep the peace. If my parents want my brother's family to be involved then someone else has to foot the bill. They are genuinely rubbish with money. My parents are forever paying for things that as adults they should be paying for themselves such as carpets (the HA flat they rent had bare floorboard when they moved in), furniture for the children's bedrooms, a new washing machine, the list goes on. My mum's rationale is that she does it for their children because she wants them to be warm at night and go to school with clean clothes. Dad says they can't keep subsidising them but they will because they don't want their grandchildren going without.

My brother once made some comment about his inheritance to which mum replied, "what inheritance? You'll have spent long before we die."
    Pollycat wrote: »

Then my brother's family won't come and I think that would upset my parents for certain events. When my parents are no longer here my brother will be getting jackshit off me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure