Anyone here on ESA and doing permitted work?

Hello,

I am on ESA, have been volunteering 1 day a week and next year would like to get some permitted work. So I would like to apply for a job and work either 8 or 16 hours a week.

I was given a PW1ESA form at the job centre and read it when I got home.

There is a questionnaire that needs to be filled in and posted to the address on top of my letters. Not to the local job centre plus.

I worry about doing that because in my experience when I used to post my medical certificates they were never scanned in by them.
I had to keep chasing them and they were usually found sitting on a desk.
I can see this causing me a lot of stress and at a later date being called to see a compliance officer if the paperwork I send in gets lost.
Ultimately I would like to get work and sign off because I feel that's what they really want.

I would be grateful to hear of the experiences of those that have done or do permitted work.
Do you need to send in the form/questionnaire every week?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If you're concerned about posting the completed form you can phone and make an appointment to take it into your local Job Centre. Dpn't just turn up there as most won't see you on a walk-in basis.
  • bluenun
    bluenun Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That is my main concern yes.

On the form I was given yesterday is has in bold type,

"Please don't take this questionnaire into your job centre plus office.

Post it to the address on top of any ESA letter we have sent you."

Also wondered if the form/questionnaire needed to be sent in every week?
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,147 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Make a copy before sending, and send recorded/tracked. Keep notes on when you send.

I understand your anxiety over this, the whole permitted work thing is a mine field.
  • TELLIT01
    In general, sending a letter recorded/tracked is a waste of money. All it proves is that it was received at one of the central sorting locations, not that it has got through to the processing office.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,147 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    the cost is a pittance, and the hassle it can save is invaluable.

You only need to prove you sent it, not that they opened and read it.
  • TELLIT01
    Chrysalis wrote: »

There is little or no value in being about to prove that you sent the form back if it doesn't get to where it is to be processed. I accept that there might be a useful purpose if it is a document which has to be returned by a specific date, but otherwise???
  • WillowCat
    WillowCat Posts: 974 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    To answer the other question, no it does not need to be sent in every week, just once before you start.

You should in fact get an acknowledgement from the DWP which will also indicate whether they are accepting the work as permitted work.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite

A proof of posting certificate is free and does what you describe.

Recorded Delivery is £1.10 in addition to normal postage (which should be covered by the prepaid envelope). For many on benefits that is not a pittance. You shouldn't be so presumptuous about someone else's financial situation.
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

I agree with you, getting a signature at destination is the key thing which special delivery provides. Recorded delivery sometimes doesn't provide that as it goes with normal post. Certificate of posting is free but that doesn't prove it got to destination.

I also send mine by special delivery.
  • bluenun
    bluenun Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank-you all for the replies.

It is a worry.

So it is just sent in once at the beginning of the hopeful job I may be able to get. Then I make a copy, post the original to where it is supposed to go, hope they get it and hope they accept it as permitted work.
    I think for £1.10 I would post it recorded delivery, scan and print the envelope too.

I suppose if they decide the work is not permitted then I would have to pay back any earnings or the benefit I had received.

My ultimate goal is to get off ESA completely, my mental health is worse and I feel much more stressed than when I was living off my savings until they dropped below 6k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure