PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    If it still sparks joy even though it's not working, keep it. Most of us don't need clocks to tell the time anyway, because we have a watch/phone/computer/cooker ... even my heating control panel shows the time. So there's nothing wrong with just regarding it as a much-loved ornament.

If it makes you feel sad because it no longer works, then sell it - let someone else pay to get it repaired and go on enjoying it, and spend your little windfall on something that will make you happy. You could always take a photo of it and have it framed!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 1:43PM
    Options
    grunnie I would ask the relatives to combine and pay for repair, in the meantime would just enjoy looking at it but I know that it is that ritual that you miss. I am sure that a real old fashioned horological repairer would do it for you, we had a friend in s wales who was just that, decades of experience and some very famous clocks were repaired by him. They are around, not in jewellers but working quietly in their own homes

Just a couple of sets of cup measures squeezed into the cs trolley today. I needed a rigid set to draw a knife across for accuracy, even joseph joseph are useless for the drawing action and the others are wobbly silicone, they are bagged and out because an amazing set has arrived from america amazon, every cup or spoon measure that I could ever want and flat surfaces to draw a knife across. One in and two out
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Grunnie, it's also possible just to have a modern quartz fitting put in the clock, so it will still look the same from the front, just will be working continuously from a battery. Try an independent watchmaker/jeweller.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I was getting rid of all my uncomfortable sandals anyway so I thought I would look around for anything else to bring to the charity shop. I found a couple of books that I won't read again and will probably look through our clothes to see if there is anything else. My hubbie wears the same few clothes all the time and I'm always surprised to go through his wardrobe as they are some smarter tops that he never wears! They can be donated too.:)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Some toys have sold on fleabay - DS3 is happy as he will get the money (they were his toys) and I'm happy as it's more stuff out :) (I also sold one item on there which I got for free - bonus!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Picklepot
    Options
    OK i need to ask you lovely peeps some advice.
    Any recommendations on how to kick start my progress? Ive made big inroads in stopping what comes into the house, but i cant seem to keep the momentum on MKing and getting stuff out. For all the good reasons discussed on here i have to clear it once and for all and then concentrate on maintenance. I am acutely aware of a little 'hoardy ' gene i have passed on by my late DF therefore am determined i have to streamline my house.

Thanks in advance
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:50AM
    Options
    Hi Grunnie,

I go with the 'ask family to pay for repairs as a present to you'. Afterall, they will be investing in a future inheritance ;)

Picklepot, I'd suggest selecting a very small category to get started. I did scarves. I had some lovely scarves but I only wore 2. Ever. So I thanked the others and took them to CS where they sold well and other people loved them. I rolled the 2 that remain and they are neatly situated, easily available, beside my gloves and hat, and a fleecy headband. I did feel like this was a big achievement because they were things i thought i loved but were in fact 'blocking' valuable space, iyswim. I am better off without them!
    BTW, i resisted buying a beautiful scarf yesterday, because I knew i would never wear it, so lesson learnt and applied in practice. Thanks MK :T

Hebwood, 2 great results! I realised that finding a willing recipient helped DH to release a few things. Well done kn steady weight loss. I have plateaued but not for long! We are back from hols next week and then strenuous efforts will resume. A sunny holiday is scheduled for January, so a good target to aim for :)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Well done on stopping the incoming Stuff, that's a big help. I found that once I'd done one category (underwear in my case) it inspired me to carry on and if I felt enthusiasm was flagging, I'd go back and look at it. Try rereading The Book occasionally, I have also found it helps to be reminded of eg reasons why we hang on to things, the need sometimes to say thank you for something before letting it go.

As far as getting it out of the house is concerned I use a Fly Lady tip - once a bag of stuff for the CS is full I put it in the boot of the car. Then there's no excuse for not taking it in, and usually it annoys me so much that I have to arrange a trip.

Are you being held back by the need to find the 'right' home for things? I donated and Freecycled a lot but I had to accept that some of my Stuff had died in storage and wasn't fit for anything. I hate putting stuff in landfill but some of it had to go, and I resolved to learn a lesson from it. Now if I buy anything I think about its recycling potential.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Picklepot
    Options
    MMFO7 thanks for quick response thats a good idea ..go for the smaller categories.yes i like that. Yesterday i went through bag and coat pockets. Today i am looking at my wine rack..not being big drinkers i mainly store rolled tea towels there! i think i shall find homes for the cava and champagne with friends that like those. The scarves will be a lesser category for me too. Brilliant on resisting the beautiful scarf.

Can someone help me multiple quote please?
  • Picklepot
    Picklepot Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2017 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Pollywollydoodle
    Yes you ve hit the nail on the head . I was thrilled to see our local national trust are after books so i will happily take a pile, but i seem to hang onto to stuff for that opportunity when people ask.I am held back by the need to send things to the appropriate places.
    In the last few years i have now learned to stop others from decluttering stuff to me. If they insist i now say' if i dont find a use can i pass it on'. If they say no i suggest they keep it
    Thanks for reminding me about flylady of course that makes absolute sense and i have no excuse i have charity shops en route with good parking (one is supporting me at the moment). Since i cannot give them cash i like to receive the letters telling me how much they have made from my stuff i feel like ive given something back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure