50mph on motorway due to road works

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Truck drivers very often go by GPS speed, which is much more accurate.
    No they don't.

Truck drivers go by the speedo in the vehicle which is legally only allowed to be out by no more than 2.5% and has to have a mandatory calibration test every 2 years. So 50MPH on the truck speedo is going to be between 49-50MPH real speed unlike a car where 50MPH on the speedo could be anything from 44-50MPH real speed, usually 44.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    No they don't.

Truck drivers go by the speedo in the vehicle which is legally only allowed to be out by no more than 2.5% and has to have a mandatory calibration test every 2 years. So 50MPH on the truck speedo is going to be between 49-50MPH real speed unlike a car where 50MPH on the speedo could be anything from 44-50MPH real speed, usually 44.

If they get the calibration done when their tyres are almost worn out (which can last quite a while as they have the option of regrooving as well). Then once they get some new tyres fitted it gives them a noticeable increase in top end speed due to the speedo now under reading the actual speed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    If they get the calibration done when their tyres are almost worn out (which can last quite a while as they have the option of regrooving as well). Then once they get some new tyres fitted it gives them a noticeable increase in top end speed due to the speedo now under reading the actual speed.

The difference at best is about 8% or 3.5MPH.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with driving a lorry

I'll take that as no then.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    The difference at best is about 8% or 3.5MPH.

Yes but that is still quite a difference because they will be noticibly faster on the motorway and overtake all the other HGV's with ease.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2017 at 12:27PM
    Options
    This has gone off topic........

Most HGVs don't slow down for motorway 50mph limits, because they're not going to get pulled for carrying on at 56mph and that 50 limit is absolutely set taking that into account, and if your doing 50mph by your speedo, then your actually doing just over 45mph real speed, AND if I were stuck behind someone doing 45mph in a 50 zone, I would assume that person was trying to play the plastic Policeman with their own version of the law.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This has gone off topic........

Most HGVs don't slow down for motorway 50mph limits, because they're not going to get pulled for carrying on at 56mph and that 50 limit is absolutely set taking that into account, and if your doing 50mph by your speedo, then your actually doing just over 45mph real speed, AND if I were stuck behind someone doing 45mph in a 50 zone, I would assume that person was trying to play the plastic Policeman with their own version of the law.

Or simply cruising along at a legal speed...sigh.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Or simply cruising along at a legal speed...sigh.

In a passive-aggressive manner, knowingly p1ssing off other drivers.......... Pathetic.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In a passive-aggressive manner, knowingly p1ssing off other drivers.......... Pathetic.

So anyone doing 45mph in a 50mph zone is being passive aggressive in your eyes?
    you are just another of these angry drivers I see every day.
    You see conflict and aggression in the most benign things.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Better than being actively aggressive and dropping "rev bombs" (whatever the hell they are) at little old ladies. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure