bankruptcy and my Passport ?

Hi All,

Thanks for a great site and an amazing forum, you guys are such a wealth of info.

Ok, i have about £100,000 of unsecured debt, i have many questions as i am seriously considering BR but my first is :

If or when i go BR, can this effect my traveling abroad? can my passport be siezed or any restrictions be placed on my traveling in and out of the country..?

Thanks

mastapeace :cool:

Comments

• Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    mastapeace wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for a great site and an amazing forum, you guys are such a wealth of info.

Ok, i have about £100,000 of unsecured debt, i have many questions as i am seriously considering BR but my first is :

If or when i go BR, can this effect my traveling abroad? can my passport be siezed or any restrictions be placed on my traveling in and out of the country..?

Thanks

Hi mastapeace,

We went abroad shortly after being declared bankrupt and had no problems, the only worrying thing for me was not having a credit card to fall back on if we had an emergency - like running out of partying money :rotfl:

Regards

Richard
  • mastapeace
    mastapeace Posts: 20 Forumite
    Thanks Richard.

That is good to know, i would be interested if anyone else has had any experiences in this area...
  • The only problem i could forsee here would be if you were to travel abroad alot a year rather than lets say once a year for a holiday ,while this would not affect your passport ,whilst under bankrupty restrictions im sure the OR would be interested as to where the money was coming from to fund it.

Have you taken proffesional advice about your situation?
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • Mike_St_Helens
    Mike_St_Helens Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Howdy...

Your passport is absolutly, categorically not mentioned, touched or fiddled with. I have a mate who works for the Passport Office in London.. The Passport office, not the contractor.

Rest assured.

Only know as I asked him as we are off to canada in October.
  • Howdy...

Your passport is absolutly, categorically not mentioned, touched or fiddled with. I have a mate who works for the Passport Office in London.. The Passport office, not the contractor.

Rest assured.

Only know as I asked him as we are off to canada in October.

Ok, nice one, well that really puts my mind at rest as far as that is concerned.

Thankyou.

• The only problem i could forsee here would be if you were to travel abroad alot a year rather than lets say once a year for a holiday ,while this would not affect your passport ,whilst under bankrupty restrictions im sure the OR would be interested as to where the money was coming from to fund it.

Have you taken proffesional advice about your situation?

I havent really talked to anyone properly about BR yet. I have lots of volantary agreements and one ccj on the way i think.

• mastapeace wrote: »
    I havent really talked to anyone properly about BR yet. I have lots of volantary agreements and one ccj on the way i think.

https://www.cccs.co.uk
    https://www.payplan.com
    https://www.insovancy.gov.uk

all of these will be able to give you top notch advice .
    Official DFW NERD 189

I may be a woman but dont hold it against me:D

Officially declared Br 6/11/06

Discharged Br 4/5/07 (6 months to the day)

BCSC MEMBER 21
  • Good afternoon,

I just read your reply, may be you could help me .I’m German person who used to have business propriety after the crash 2005 /2006 I lost everything. I was made bankrupt at 2006. I’m working now for a IT company for 10 years, With the Brexit I decide to applied for a British passport, I have been asked via a form if I haven’t been bankrupt. I check my credit report nothing appear on it but my lawyer told me, there is different way to check you are bankrupt or not. I would like to know if that it’s true, I’m not sure if my lawyer try to scare me If true where I could find that?
    Thank you for your help,
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,041
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There is a bankruptcy register. it is not a scare tactic.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Gunter6259 wrote: »
    Good afternoon,

I just read your reply, may be you could help me .I’m German person who used to have business propriety after the crash 2005 /2006 I lost everything. I was made bankrupt at 2006. I’m working now for a IT company for 10 years, With the Brexit I decide to applied for a British passport, I have been asked via a form if I haven’t been bankrupt. I check my credit report nothing appear on it but my lawyer told me, there is different way to check you are bankrupt or not. I would like to know if that it’s true, I’m not sure if my lawyer try to scare me If true where I could find that?
    Thank you for your help,

Hi

The Individual Insolvency Register shows bankruptcies for 3 months after they have ended, and any current bankruptcy restriction orders or undertakings (BRO or BRU).

www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure