Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    Good morning all...

I had to rush off yesterday so need to read back to catch up..

A few have asked how I am feeling now DS has gone to uni....
    I'm sad he's not here,but I seem to be getting on ok with OH and its been nice for us to just do things as we please.
    He is on holiday this week hence me not being around too much and as such we are enjoying just spending some time together....we done a little milestone sorting and both feel that it was the right timeframe to do it,so a little weight is slowly being lifted very carefully whilst still preserving plenty of memories.

Some days I really miss DS but he has been good and tries to keep in touch as much as any 18 year old remembers his parents when there are so many other exciting things to do.
    I worry about his drinking...but again thats no different to any parent of a first year uni student and I worry that he's eating well....but in essence he held it all together over the weekend and theres no real evidence that he's getting into anything any deeper than his peers....so I guess my worrying is my own!!!!

There have been a few niggles both with his flat and a lack of hot water but they seem to be sorting that out....somehow the screen on his iphone cracked so Dad needed to pay for a replacement over the weekend and there are various sections of hair on his legs missing but I think this may have more to do with freshers week and a little too much liquid intake...so I didnt point it out too much!

He has a short 4 day break spread over a weekend and monday /tuesday in a few weeks but at this stage we dont think he's planning on being home so the next time we will see him is christmas unless we decide to take a weekend down to see him.

I think I might be getting the hang of this frugal october lark too...getting into a routine of going shopping at the end of the day is providing either a welcome surprise for tea the following night or meaning that I need to raid the freezer...
    Tonight we have fresh tuna....something I would never buy normally but at £1 a pack of 2 last night it was too good to pass by.

Have a good day all...I'm off to give blood and get a cup of tea and biscuit for my donation x
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    davemorton wrote: »
    Question for the day. Do the upper classes lick their yogurt pot lids?
    Morning all.

This is actually several questions :D

At home Sophie cat is obsessed with yogurt so as soon as a pot comes out she is there and waiting for the lid. If its a small pot and she cant get her head in I cut the empty pot in half for her and again she sees the scissors and knows I am cutting it up for her :)
    Treacle cat thinks yogurt is the work of the devil :D

When in hotels I tend to tip yogurt into a bowl and put fruit on top - it depends on the hotel really but I really don't like eating out of the pots in hotels. No lids or pots are licked out of the house.

I don't think I've been anyway where I can say for absolute certainty that everyone eating breakfast is upper class otherwise I would have observed what they were doing with their yogurts
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • HILLBERN
    HILLBERN Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just saw this fro the others for W corona

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/waitrose.co.uk

Hope link comes out ok..now dashing to pick my new glasses up x
  • mhoc
    On the side banner I've just seen "various banks to slash bank deals" :mad:

I finally got all of the bits and pieces for the HSBC account I set up but now I am in a quandary - its took 3 weeks in all, mostly with weeks of nothing happening. My gut instinct is to do nothing and just close it or to use it as an account for swapping .

Also I applied for OHs new Marks credit card in the last week in September, took very little time so it looked promising but again we have heard nothing back so that's been 2 weeks now :mad:

So much for it being the instant digital age
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • LEJC
    Morning all.

I do so all the time x

I dont eat mullers but others are ok in moderation!

• underperky
    underperky Posts: 5,217 Forumite
    Morning all.
    I don't like yoghurt but if I did ...I would :D
  • Who on earth would actually waste the yoghurt on the lid?

We know several millionaires (clients) and I have seen at least one of them lick the lid!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • mhoc
    underperky wrote: »
    Good morning ...just a theory about COS and offers but I think the reason

some offers are repeated is because you never got them first time round

so hence that is why people are getting sausages back again and again

as they have not been able to buy them when first offered ..just a

theory ....those with accounts for there spouse as well might be able to

confirm this theory

Yes I am still getting the sausage bake because I've not bought it yet - my small Morrisons sells it which is very unusual - its one of those things I would buy if I could pass it along to someone but there isn't so I haven't :D

Now I've said that I know its on my COS but I don't know about OHs, assume so
  • LEJC
    edited 12 October 2016 at 9:51AM
    I did have a wobble yesterday with the challenge when I came across some water damaged packs of 20 strongbow cider reduced to £6.50 in T.

This is the sort of thing I would normally have thrown several packs into the trolley and thought of it as a good way to save over the coming months...but I did resist as I have also with the wine offer.
    I have decided that we will use what we have during the month but to try and replace it with stock going forward would blow the budget.
    I do agree with mhoc that the way forward might me a small contingency fund and I think if I were to live this way permanently then it would be something I would look to have....there are times when its prudent to take advantage of an offer but I guess in reality that someone truly living on a reduced budget might not actually have the means to fund a food fund as well as day to day living.

When we used the vouchers to eat out over the weekend we used compliments and I was concious that in using the voucher for simply night out might mean that I have wiped out my quite considerable stock that could have been used for something else more needed later in the year....we went to TGI and in effect wiped out all the vouchers I have accumulated on survey sites over the last year...not an insignificant £70 but again I guess thats the choice that some have to make when faced with using vouchers for treats or eats....

my interview(sorry appointment ) with a vampire awaits....see you later

• emerald21 wrote: »
    Nellie no one has replied to my email well yet anyway:( May have to enquire at Wrexham or Chester. Unless anyone on here knows of train journeys that only use Northern trains. :o

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/network-map

Click this link and download the route map(first one) You'all be able to see where you can get to from Chester. Also see what stations you can change at to get somewhere else. Once you know where you want to go then tickets have to be booked at the booking office.
    Something unexpected happened which made me smile and still continues to make me smile.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure