Drying clothes in garage

Given the cold weather is drawing in just wanted to get some tips on drying clothes. Over the last few years we have just left them in garage or hung up next to the radiator. Now we have 2 kids the load is more and don't really want all of them strewn over the radiators.

I was thinking getting a Fan heater and leaving it on for a couple of hours in the garage - but have heard horror stories of how these can catch fire!!!

Any other suggestions ?

Comments

• Tumble dryer
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Put all the clothes on an airer in the least used room, close the door and put a dehumidifier in there on a clothes drying setting.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    How about a heated airer in the garage?
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I know this cannot suit everyone, but I have a greenhouse out the back that I don't use. South facing garden. It is amazing for drying washing in Winter and on wet days in Summer.

I suppose I should use it for growing stuff, but it's worth its weight for drying the washing!

Other than that, a heated airer/clothes horse like those in Lakeland are great. My sister has one in the boxroom with a dehumidifier. Swears by it.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,007 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    phil24_7 wrote: »
    Put all the clothes on an airer in the least used room, close the door and put a dehumidifier in there on a clothes drying setting.

^^^^^ this is what I do.
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tumble dryer

They catch fire too!
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    melanzana wrote: »
    I know this cannot suit everyone, but I have a greenhouse out the back that I don't use. South facing garden. It is amazing for drying washing in Winter and on wet days in Summer.

I'd like to think none of these people on here who have problems drying washing have gardens
    If they do then I despair of humanity!
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    If you have a garage or a covered area you can put a line up under there, even if they need to be finished off on radiators or in a drier.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    I'd like to think none of these people on here who have problems drying washing have gardens
    If they do then I despair of humanity!

Oh despair away dear.

OP did NOT say there was no garden... it's the rainy weather and the winter frosts I think are a problem for most people.;)
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Ooh I think I need a greenhouse now!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills