PLEASE HELP: Shed base concern

Options
Hi,

Would appreciate any help as not sure the best action to take.

I made a decking area in the garden 8 x 6. Made up of 90cmx90cm decking tiles (square decking instead of the long decking boards) and nailed these decking tiles to 3x3 wood supports(decking joists) The decking is flat and seems solid but has a little "spring" when walking on it.

I've since decided to build a shed on the area but wasnt sure how best to strengthen (stop) that spring before building the shed on top, as worried this movement might make the shed floor uneven. I have 4 options.

1) Lay sheets of plywood on top of the decking to add strength/reduce any spring.

2) Fill the gaps under the decking with hardcore/cement mix to stop movement.

3) Do nothing as once the shed is built the weight of the shed will settle/stop any spring movement in the decking.

and the 4th option which I really didnt want to have to do...

4) Move the decking to another area of the garden and lay paving slads for the shed to be built on.

Really appreciate any help...many thanks

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know little about such things but I can say that ground does move unexpectedly (esp if its near a tree) and for that reason I had a cement base laid for a shed about 17 years ago. The shed was then mounted on planks to allow air to cicrulate and is still standing strong. The only drawback is that families of foxes also thrived underneath the shed during the mating season, but I got used to that after a while.

On that basis, I'd go for option 2.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • ukamber1
    ukamber1 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I know little about such things but I can say that ground does move unexpectedly (esp if its near a tree) and for that reason I had a cement base laid for a shed about 17 years ago. The shed was then mounted on planks to allow air to cicrulate and is still standing strong. The only drawback is that families of foxes also thrived underneath the shed during the mating season, but I got used to that after a while.

On that basis, I'd go for option 2.

Thank you.....I guess the biggest problem I have is that when I built the decking, I never planned to be putting a shed on it and it was only going to carry the weight of a couple of people and a couple of garden chairs and knowing this I didnt make it as strong as I should have done and now I need to make it stronger to hold the added weight of a shed!;)

Thanks for your comments...option 2 does seem the best/easiest option as I only need to lift a section of decking at a time and can shovel the cement mix under the weakest points!

My own fault, should have planned better in the first place! thanks again!
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    If you’re just talking about a cheap wooden shed I wouldn’t worry too much about it - have you seen the size of the sticks they make those things out of?
  • ukamber1
    Options
    If you’re just talking about a cheap wooden shed I wouldn’t worry too much about it - have you seen the size of the sticks they make those things out of?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The shed/summerhouse is 25mm T&G clad walls, with T&G floor, as wanted a strong one that will last. As its a little stronger, thicker than your standard 12mm thick shed, I just wanted to make sure the base was going to be ok.

thanks again
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    Options
    ukamber1 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

The shed/summerhouse is 25mm T&G clad walls, with T&G floor, as wanted a strong one that will last. As its a little stronger, thicker than your standard 12mm thick shed, I just wanted to make sure the base was going to be ok.

thanks again

In which case, strip out and do a proper concrete base

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ukamber1 wrote: »

Thanks for your comments...option 2 does seem the best/easiest option as I only need to lift a section of decking at a time and can shovel the cement mix under the weakest points!

This sounds as bodgy a job as you made when you laid the decking. Our shed base stands about 5 inches proud of the surrounding ground, partly because it's in an area of the garden where there's a bit of a slope and it gets wet in the winter. OH dug it out then built up a bit of shuttering before having concrete delivered. Shed is also standing on battons to keep an airflow underneath to keep it nice and dry. What you're suggesting doing would appear to be asking for the base to rot out over time. Ours is 14 years old and still standing solid.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• ukamber1
    edited 10 January 2018 at 12:14AM
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    This sounds as bodgy a job as you made when you laid the decking. Our shed base stands about 5 inches proud of the surrounding ground, partly because it's in an area of the garden where there's a bit of a slope and it gets wet in the winter. OH dug it out then built up a bit of shuttering before having concrete delivered. Shed is also standing on battons to keep an airflow underneath to keep it nice and dry. What you're suggesting doing would appear to be asking for the base to rot out over time. Ours is 14 years old and still standing solid.

Hi Slinky,

Thanks for your comments......The shed will be standing on 50mm x 50mm battons/bearings which will allow for airflow and to support the shed floor. I'm only thinking of using the decking already in place as this will help lift shed 3 inches off the wet/damp floor. Decking was treated and built on top of a waterproof tarpaulin sheet to give alittle added protection, so wasnt a complete bodgy of a job!;)

At £200 plus to get concrete mix delivered, I'm having to look at other options and buying hardcore and mixing it with a cement mix to fill voids under decking seems the next best thing, other than moving decking completely and laying concrete paving stones for the shed to sit on......I agree if money no object re-doing the base with concrete slab would have been the best option.

Kind regards
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had a 8x6 summer house for 17 years laid on concrete slabs and 10cm battens. Nothing has moved yet. I got the best treated battens I could find and gave then extra preservative. I have also got thick wire mesh nailed to the summer house and battens to keep the rodents out.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    OH dug it out then built up a bit of shuttering before having concrete delivered. Shed is also standing on battons to keep an airflow underneath to keep it nice and dry.
    We have two large sheds and that is exactly what we did, both sheds are tanalised timber and have been standing for years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure