IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

UKPC 'Driver left site'

SamPerry
SamPerry Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 19 March 2017 at 8:54PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi,

I just wanted some advice about a parking charge attached to the windscreen of a car I am the registered keeper of at a UKPC controlled car park a couple of days ago. The note inside states that the attendant had reason to believe that the driver/owner had left site-this is against the terms of parking which are displayed, albeit very high up in small print, on numerous signs around the car park.

No notice or gate/doorway etc warning that proceeding past would result in leaving the site appears to be present at the location. Nor did anyone (i.e. the parking attendant who issued the notice) make any warning that it was the site boundary. There also does not appear to be a boundary map displayed whenlooked for after the PCN was issued.

Cash was used in the restaraunt and no receipt was retained so have no proof (apart from restaraunt cctv).

I've read up on here and other forums about this but am a little confused as I'm led to believe the law has recently changed on such matters.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Financial loss is a red herring and will get you nowhere following the Beavis decision.
    However you are on very strong grounds.
    Who is the car park owner, you say this is a retail park but where?

Is this UK Parking control Limited (UKPC) company number 05104383, Director Mr Rupert Williams,Correspondence address 28a Tempus Towen, Irwell Quays, Manchester, M3 1PJ ? ( details here https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/05104383/officers)
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • SamPerry
    edited 19 March 2017 at 8:55PM
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the financial loss would be relevant.

it is U.K. Parking Control. The ticket states an address in Coventry and and signs also have an address in Middx. But it appears to be the company you have linked to.

Am I best to appeal this stating along the lines of what I have put in my original post?

Thanks again
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,154
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 3:03PM
    SamPerry wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the financial loss would be relevant.

it is U.K. Parking Control. The ticket states an address in Coventry and and signs also have an address in Middx. But it appears to be the company you have linked to.

Am I best to appeal this stating along the lines of what I have put in my original post?

Thanks again.

EDIT

In answer to your other question, the car park owner is a leisure park. There is a Cineworld, bowling alleys and several chain eateries. I did think of contacting them but from what I've read in other threads here it's unlikely to come to anything as they have contracted UKPC to look after parking matters.

Start by editing your original post to remove any indication of who did what. We only want to know about The Driver and The Keeper, nobody else.

Do this NOW before you do anything else.

Next, read the Sticky thread for NEWBIES and then send the BPA template in blue from the NEWBIES around day 26.
    Do not edit it, do not reveal who was driving. Copy and paste and send in a few weeks time.

It is always worth complaining to the retail manager/landowner. That's the best way to get these scam tickets cancelled. In a retail park near me, one of the managers told me it is in their contract that a manager from any of the retail shops has the power to cancel a parking ticket for a genuine customer. It won't hurt to go round each one in turn, starting with the one you visited on this occasion, especially I you have visited any of the others in the past.
    Do not however miss the UKPC appeal deadline.

In the unlikely event this ever came to court, the scammers would have to prove that the driver left the site, and also explain why the employee didn't tell the diver they should not do so in order to mitigate the PPC's loss which is a breach of the BPA CoP.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,605
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Absolutely and completely not.

That's why an appeal template for BPA firms is in the 'NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST' thread, to stop people appealing too early and stop them shooting themselves in the foot by talking about who parked and what happened.

Day 26, online appeal as keeper, use the appeal in blue writing (please don't copy it here and ask 'is it this one?' yes, it is).

Don't try to step outside of this tried and tested winning formula for UKPC cases - it works.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • SamPerry
    In what way should I edit it? I've ensured my individual identity and location is not revealed so this post can not be linked to my exact case. I was just explaining fully the circumstances but shall take some detail out.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The site owner will have contracted UKPC to lok after their car park.
    This means that the site owner/landholder as principal has asked the pakring company to act is its agents.
    The Principal is jointly and severally liable for the actions of its agents.

When you left, or apparently left the site, someone would have been watching, in order to issue you with a parking charge notice.
    were you at any point warned by someone that you are about to leave the site and if you did so that you would be issued with a parking charge notice?

Is this company UK Parking control, or UK parking control limited?
    are you the registered keeper of that vehicle?
    and just spoted this important little snippet: Is Sam Perry your real name?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • SamPerry
    Ok. I did read the NEWBIES thread but wanted to ensure it was the most update version and check it was relevant here as this appears to me to be an allegation I deliberately ignored the parking rules displayed. Which it was not.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 130,605
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 3:11PM
    Ok. I did read the NEWBIES thread but wanted to ensure it was the most update version and check it was relevant here as this appears to me to be an allegation I deliberately ignored the parking rules displayed. Which it was not.
    Makes no odds what happened.

Like so many other newbies, stop trying to reinvent the wheel and thinking your case is different and that you have to write about what happened; you need to do this right and on day 26 as 'registered keeper'.

And yes - it is up to date advice - never mind the date I started it, you will see the NEWBIES thread was last edited by me this month! Note under the posts says when it was last edited.

Talking of editing - you need to edit all the details and admissions out of that first post in case of nosy PPCs or people with a dirty tricks agenda who read the forums and might think it's big and clever to show forum posts to PPCs.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,154
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2017 at 3:12PM
    In what way should I edit it? I've ensured my individual identity and location is not revealed so this post can not be linked to my exact case. I was just explaining fully the circumstances but shall take some detail out.

You have described the location of the alleged event with information about the retail outlets at that site, said who did what, who was with the driver and described how they travelled once they got out the car, and what they went to look at.
    How many sites do you think there are where UKPC operate with those specific shops and item of interest for someone to look at? How difficult do you think it would be to work out which specific car park that is?

It is quite possible for the scammers to put all that together and work out where you were and then link it to this thread where you have told the whole internet who was driving.

We have seen posts copied direct from the internet fora and used as evidence in court.

Please do as you were advised, which was to edit the original post before you did anything else, not come back and ask people who have played this game before the reason why.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • SamPerry
    edited 19 March 2017 at 8:57PM
    Thanks for the reply. No one approached the driver or made any reasonable attempt to tell the driver that they were leaving the site. If they had then the driver would have stepped back into car park land to avoid breaching the terms of parking. The signs did state that you couldn't leave the site but there was nothing to indicate the site boundary such as a line, closed gate, notice etc.

It is UK parking control LTD and I am the registered keeper of the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure