We've made some changed to Competitions Time. Please see this thread.

New! Competition end dates posting

Comments

• One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,258
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My previous posts have been objective - pointing out things that aren't working properly. This one is subjective.

When the new end date is Sortable and Searchable then it will be useful. It could then replace the need to put E: DD/MM in the title and it could even be made mandatory. The transfer of comps to Game Over could use it and could even be automatic! I would then accept the slightly longer time it takes to post comps for the use it would be to everyone else, especially end date compers and those who spend time trying to get mis-formatted posts corrected.

Until then it is pretty useless and just repeats information that MUST be in the thread title (for sorting, searching and for BGs to move comps to G.O.). In its current implementation it could cause significant problems if posters use the new feature and don’t put E: DD/MM in the title. It does slow down the posting of comps for high volume posters, and seeing it is not used for anything, I see no reason why they shouldn’t just click the radio button to bypass it – something that has already started. I will join these non-users until it looks like it will be fully developed. It only needs a few posters to ignore it in this way to make it a total white elephant that would be better removed entirely.
  • MSE_Andrea wrote: »

Simply put, when posting a new competition thread on here you’ll be asked to give its end date before you click submit and the date will then show up on your post.

Can anyone explain the reason why?
    Am I missing something? If it doesn't help the search, then what is the point in this feature?

I can think of other things that would aid the board more than this ...
  • Barnabysue
    Barnabysue Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    All of the comps that laks has posted in the last few minutes have the usual end date but the new dateline says unknown?
    Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous
  • kittycatty
    kittycatty Posts: 3,036
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tbh, I can't see the point of this, it makes the board look untidy now with the extra "unknown" line added in just seems plain pointless.
    Think it's about time the comping fairy remembered where I am! lol

• Barnabysue wrote: »
    All of the comps that laks has posted in the last few minutes have the usual end date but the new dateline says unknown?

One-Eye says regular comp posters are not using it:
    One-Eye wrote: »
    I see no reason why they shouldn’t just click the radio button to bypass it – something that has already started. I will join these non-users until it looks like it will be fully developed. It only needs a few posters to ignore it in this way to make it a total white elephant that would be better removed entirely.
  • Barnabysue
    Barnabysue Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    Thanks, hadn't seen that, seems a bit daft if it's there but not compulsory. I thought it was to stop people posting comps without end dates.
    Luck is believing you’re lucky – Tennessee Williams

May your pockets be heavy and your heart be light. May good luck pursue you each morning and night – Anonymous
  • Hi everyone,

We unfortunately cannot do the sort by end date just yet. However, what I can offer you is an icon on forum/board level indicating how close a competition is to closing if the end date field have been completed?

Would this be something you'd be interested in?

Joe
    Have any problems or issues with the Forum? Contact us at forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    MoneySavingExpert - Web Developer
  • I think that'd be something else cluttering the board IMO - and can't people work this out for themselves? :)
  • fnc63
    fnc63 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    ok i'll admit i've not read every post, but i've got the idea

this was to do with something along the lines of searching/sorting by end date, well thats a breeze anyway so i cant see why this addition is needed

and i was coming in here just to say i think you need to consult with the major posters on this board bc if they arent going to use it, then it isnt going to work

i know quite a few top posters, but of course Lakshmi7 sprung to mind first and i was going to suggest you ask them first their thoughts, but i am happy to see that Lakshmi7 has already voiced their opinion/concern already, along with some other top posters

if its only for sorting/searching purposes, then surely a guide, or an additon to the compers guide thread [ifnotalreadyinthere] is all that is needed

2014 WTD ~ CH10OC50CW55PC10AB25BA120SB15OC30BC160BV105OC30CT20GC10GB100
    :shhh:

Apparently everything has a happy ending and if you havent arrived at the happiness, it hasnt ended yet :think:

• MSE_Joe wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We unfortunately cannot do the sort by end date just yet. However, what I can offer you is an icon on forum/board level indicating how close a competition is to closing if the end date field have been completed?

Would this be something you'd be interested in?

Joe

I don't know about everyone else, but I wouldn't personally find that very useful as there's hundreds of pages on here! :eek:

I think that until it can be searched/sorted by it's pretty much useless for us as end users. And searching some days is near to useless anyway as there's not enough pages of search results to cover all the days ending competitions as it's limited to a certain amount.

I think the end date format as it was with E: ??/?? works perfectly fine, all you need to do is sort the board into a title order whichever way is the preference and you can find all the days ending ones on consecutive pages, I'm not really sure why there's the need for change? :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure