London with a pram

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't know if you can still get them, but I had a lightweight stroller that came with a shoulder strap, that meant the buggy could be carried when folded down.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lika_86 wrote: »
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration to be honest. Even when tubes have been crammed full I've never been shoved or jostled.

Bloody hell, really? I have! Nearly every time I use the Central Line eastbound (or westbound in the morning). Other lines are often okay, but on the Central Line I am literally wedged into what can barely be described as a gap when getting on at Liverpool Street. I am very short so it's probably worse for me.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • supermezzo
    supermezzo Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I would advocate a smaller folding buggy for on the bus. Although the wheelchair space does take a buggy, it often has people standing in it. And a wheelchair user will take precedence over the buggy, and often the two simply won't fit in the one space. Bearing this in mind, try not to carry too much in bags on the buggy either as this is just one extra thing to try and deal with if you do need to hold the baby and collapse the buggy on the bus.
    It aint over til I've done singing....
  • tensandunits_2
    Options
    The first part of your sentence may explain the latter.:)

I'll have a look next time I go. Might even see the OP :D
    It is not because things are difficult that we dare not venture
    It is because we dare not venture that they are difficult

SENECA
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, and just in case you didn't know - DON'T STOP DEAD when you are walking anywhere. London walking speed is somewhere between the four minute mile (usual for Outer London) and Warp Factor 15 (anywhere within Zones 1-3). Know where you are going and only ever stop after you have moved out of the way. :)
    :rotfl: I can still do 'the London Walk' when using the tube, you have to quickly work out whether you're going East, West, North or South, depending on the line, and then just keep your head up looking for the right direction and weave into any available space.

DH never commuted to London, despite being born near me, so he hasn't mastered it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I think that's a bit of an exaggeration to be honest. Even when tubes have been crammed full I've never been shoved or jostled.

Loads of people take prams on the tube and I've never seen a baby frightened by it. Remember OP, plenty of Londoners live in London and have to get around on a daily basis on the tube.

Personally I'd say buses are worse than the tube if you were trying to navigate them with a pram. You're much more likely to get space on a tube than a busy bus and much less likely to get in the way.

Also, you don't NEED an Oyster card if you have a contactless bank card and most if not all tube stations have an automatic wide gate, just use that.

In all the 9 yrs I have used the tube I have never seen more than 2 or 3 people with a pram, now that maybe because I primarily use them during rush hour but even on a weekend i've only seen a couple and then they were struggling. I wouldnt contemplate it at all without someone with you to help on escalators, holding doors etc . In fact I personally wouldnt do it at all.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    In all the 9 yrs I have used the tube I have never seen more than 2 or 3 people with a pram, now that maybe because I primarily use them during rush hour but even on a weekend i've only seen a couple and then they were struggling. I wouldnt contemplate it at all without someone with you to help on escalators, holding doors etc . In fact I personally wouldnt do it at all.

I work near the museums so see prams every day; countless thousands in the school holidays. How else are young families supposed to see the dinosaurs?!
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    :rotfl: I can still do 'the London Walk' when using the tube, you have to quickly work out whether you're going East, West, North or South, depending on the line, and then just keep your head up looking for the right direction and weave into any available space.

DH never commuted to London, despite being born near me, so he hasn't mastered it.

Lol

So many memories of London tube travel

Whenever we had friends over to stay they were amazed I knew my way around every station, not realising I was doing the London walk

Even now when I go over, whilst I stroll here, the minute I land at gatwick, I'm back to the 4 minute mile :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »

I got the impression that OP would have someone to help but hasn't been back to confirm one way or the other.

In an ideal world, I'd have a trip to London without small children (how much is a 14 month old going to get from this trip?) but that's not always possible and some people wouldn't even contemplate a holiday without their children (I've never been one of them;)).
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Here's a VERY handy map showing walking distances between stations.

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/tfls-new-tube-map-shows-walking-distances-central-london-and-highlights-gaps-network-1572

I would much rather be on foot! Walked yesterday from St Pancras to the underground at Kings X. Felt like that was a mile lol! Would prob have been quicker for me to head to Euston and get on there which is much easier for the Vic line!

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family