I'm Back - and better! Final Push to Go...

Comments

• Any particular bit to listen to Exerbusi? It's also looking good for you paying things off! I can't wait to update my signature at the end of the month. I'm fed up of seeing those September 2016 figures!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Any particular bit to listen to Exerbusi? It's also looking good for you paying things off! I can't wait to update my signature at the end of the month. I'm fed up of seeing those September 2016 figures!
    Well I think the whole thing is interesting, but the take home messages for me were these...

1. Happiness is more about REMOVING things that make you UNHAPPY than it is about ADDING things that make you happy.
    2. Pleasure and price don't need to be linked. A great car might cost 500% more than a good car, but is it 500% more pleasurable to drive?
    3. You don't have to skimp to enjoy luxury, if you pick what you won't compromise on. Take food for example - the branded bread/biscuits/ice cream/whatever may cost £1-2 more than the own brand. That's an affordable upgrade. The above example - a BMW may cost £200 more per month than a Ford. It's an upgrade, but is it a worthwhile upgrade if you're on a budget?
    4. Travel is expensive - in both time and cost. If you drive an hour to work, it's 2 hours of your day you've lost. It's also a lot in fuel cost and wear and tear on the car. Walk/cycle if possible.

There are more, that's just what I remember!
    Loan [STRIKE]£5000[/STRIKE] £0; Overdraft [STRIKE] £700[/STRIKE] £0
    Savings [STRIKE]£0[/STRIKE] +£1500; Share Portfolio [STRIKE]£0[/STRIKE] +£4000
    £0 Credit Card [STRIKE]£6800[/STRIKE] £1700
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambles in late!
    You are doing very well~~keep going :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Exerbusi thank you for bullet pointing the bits you took away from it. Haven't actually had time to listen at the moment.
    Number 3 is one I agree with. There are certain brands we won't skimp on, i.e. kelloggs cornflakes, cravendale milk, fairy washing up liquid.
    I'm lucky to not have ANY transport costs for work at all. I live within 5 minutes walking distance. In fact, when I moved jobs two years ago, this was definitely factored into my reasoning for moving (saving £60 per month = £720 per year) on travel.
    I'm definitely looking at going away in Easter with family/friends so I'm going to transfer some £££s to my sister out of this month's pay and the rest out of my March salary. I'll still be paying more off the Virgin CC than the £38pm they request.
    Interestingly, my sister can get a £2k interest free loan from her place of work and has kindly offered it to me, I'm not sure what the best thing to do about that is though? Take it off her, reduce one of my debts and as a result monthly payments (and the interest I would pay over the period) and then pay her back monthly? I'll have to work it out I guess but any advice would be gratefully received.
    Someone has paid me today £132 for some tickets I bought in January for a musical next year, so that's positive.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • No problem at all!

I'd love to have no transport costs, but it's tough for me - my job involves visiting a number of places in any one day. That said, there are certainly ways that I could reduce it, so I am going to explore those in time.

As for the loan - tough one. £2k wouldn't clear any of your debts, but it'd certainly take a chunk out of them. I'd take it, because having even a small percentage of your debt at )% is better than none of it.

I suppose if I were you I'd take the loan, pay it all of the most expensive debt (Tesco in your case) and then pay back your sister. What is the rate of repayment - that is something to consider,

The other thing to consider, which may be better come to think of it is if you pay £2k off your 0% credit card, then transfer £2k of your Tesco debt onto that. It will only work if the transfer rate makes it worthwhile though.

What's gone on with the £132 - all on debt?
  • So my current CC debt is now £4,747.50. I hadn't realised the standard DD had been taken out from my account, so the balance is lower than I realised!

I also had an extra little bit of money paid to me, so I have put £50 towards another payment. With more money coming to me next week, I shall probably pay another £50 off then.

My February goal was to be below £5,000. Maybe my March goal should be to get below £4,500. At current rate of repayment, that should be possible.
  • Exerbusi2 - Hello :) You have done so well and I love your enthusiasm.

I have just had lots of support from this forum and am now eager to get started with my own debt-busting journey. One thing I am interested in is getting myself some savings along the way, as we always end up screwed when we have car issues, or something in the house breaks down (washing machine etc) Or the kids grow and suddenly needs shoes and clothes...

Do you have your savings in an ISA or just a regular account? Also could you tell me a bit about your shares portfolio: how did you choose what to invest in or what kind of shares do you have etc... This is something I am interested in, but I'm not exactly sure where to start :)
  • Exurbusi hope you are having a nice weekend. I always appreciate you responding to my posts in detail, giving me food for thought. You've made me think about something though. I've just applied and been accepted for a Sainsburys CC. They have given me a £6,500 credit limit. I've instructed them to transfer the Virgin CC debt to this as the Virgin CC runs out interest free in June/July. The sainsburys CC was actually promoted via this site with a promotion of 42months at 0% on balance transfers AND no transfer fee.
    I'm thinking now that I could transfer the Tesco loan to the Sainsburys CC (can I do that? i.e. transfer a loan to a CC).
    In an ideal world, the VirginCC,Tesco Loan (-£2k from sister) go on the Sainsburys card and I can pay minimum repayments whilst paying my sister back in 12-18 months. The only interest I'm paying then is on the Zopa. The £132 will just go on debt.

Anyway, onto you now! Yes - explore the possibility of reducing your transport costs. Do you know in advance where you have to go? Do you have a say in deciding what days you go where?

Congratulations getting under the £5k! I'll give you an emoji! :beer:
    Keep chipping away at it. Have you seen my signature? I'm giving myself an 'award' for cutting the debts off the VirginCC. Silly I know but I'm like 'I've got the bronze, can i now get the silver'!
  • MoodyMel wrote: »
    Exerbusi2 - Hello :) You have done so well and I love your enthusiasm.
    Hi Mel! Thanks for the compliment! It hasn't always been easy and I've certainly learnt a lot along the way. The forum (and site as a whole) certainly helps.
    MoodyMel wrote: »
    One thing I am interested in is getting myself some savings along the way, as we always end up screwed when we have car issues
    Now, here's where my approach is perhaps slightly different to others. I'm a believer that the most positive way to get out of debt is to grow your income, rather than cut, cut and cut some more. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and all that.

Cutting your expenses is important. In fact, scrap that - it's vital. But by growing your income you can still enjoy a few luxuries.

I started by taking on some extra work outside of my normal job. I used that money to do two things...

1. Pay down debt quicker.
    2. Build some savings.

After a while my extra work became my full employment. I quit my job, started my business and haven't looked back.

There are people on the forum who would (perhaps rightly, depending on your thinking) use all of their available money to pay off debt, citing its expense as the reason. The logic being, if your debt is at, say 5% but your bank only pays you 0.1%, it's better value for money.

I get that, but I think there is something else at play.

Psychologically, it helps if we can see some kind of positive in life, and a growing saving pot is that. Additionally, if you use all of your available money to pay off debt, when 'life' happens and you have car costs etc, you've got no spare money and end up having to use debt to cover life costs.

Ergo - you remain in debt.
    Do you have your savings in an ISA or just a regular account?
    It's in a normal account. I use it as a cash buffer for the business. Given the returns even from an ISA are terrible, I keep my cash at hand for business use and save the excess in the stock market where the dividends and share price growth means there are real returns.
    Also could you tell me a bit about your shares portfolio: how did you choose what to invest in or what kind of shares do you have etc... This is something I am interested in, but I'm not exactly sure where to start :)
    So I typically buy big, boring companies that pay a regular dividend. I do have a few growth shares (small companies you buy cheaply and gain a return from the shares going up in value).

I'm not willing to gamble on companies I don't really understand, so to give you a roundup of the kind of companies I own shares in....

Money Supermarket (who own this very site!)
    Vodafone
    Centrica (owns British Gas)
    NCC (Online security - had them years, bought them when the shares were pennies!)
    RBS (bought just after the collapse, so they are worth A LOT more than I paid for them!)
    National Grid
    Lloyds Bank (again, bought after the collapse)
    Tesco (again, after the accounting scandal)

I like big, stable companies and often buy when something goes wrong. If the business is fundamentally sound but is going through a bad patch, I buy them. Often the price is a temporary blip and given I tend to hold onto share for years, the prices always recovers in time.

I started through my bank. I bank with HSBC and use their 'Share Dealing' option. I can't remember if I had to register for the account or not (I started investing a few years ago) and I only buy shares when I see a company I like at a price I like.

I always re-invest the dividends too.

It's actually really fun (if you make good decisions that is!) Always do your research and only invest what you don't need.

Hope that helps!
  • Exurbusi hope you are having a nice weekend.
    Not bad thanks - hope the same for you!
    I always appreciate you responding to my posts in detail, giving me food for thought.
    Happy to be of service! We're all in this together!
    You've made me think about something though. I've just applied and been accepted for a Sainsburys CC. They have given me a £6,500 credit limit. I'm thinking now that I could transfer the Tesco loan to the Sainsburys CC (can I do that? i.e. transfer a loan to a CC).
    Yes, you can. That's what I did with my final debt - I transferred my car loan (3.3%) to my 0% CC and even saved a few hundred quid in the process because it was a full repayment.

I'd pay the £2k loan off the Tesco loan, reducing the debt to the £6,200-odd. Then I'd call up Tesco and find out what it'd cost you if you paid the loan back in full. That's your settlement fee. It should be significantly cheaper than the outstanding balance (probably over a hundred quid).

Once you have your settlement fee, do the balance transfer, which is better way to pay off your debt.

I prefer to have debts on CC rather than a loan for two reasons...

1. It's cheaper (usually), unless you're on a bad card.
    2. If offers more flexibility in repayment. Any spare cash you have can go straight on the CC. It's more difficult with a loan where the payment schedule is far more structured.
    In an ideal world, the VirginCC,Tesco Loan (-£2k from sister) go on the Sainsburys card and I can pay minimum repayments whilst paying my sister back in 12-18 months. The only interest I'm paying then is on the Zopa. The £132 will just go on debt.
    Throw all of your spare money at the CC debt to get it down. As soon as you can then transfer the ZOPA loan onto it, do that - again you'll probably save yourself a couple of hundred quid by closing it in one go.
    Anyway, onto you now! Yes - explore the possibility of reducing your transport costs. Do you know in advance where you have to go? Do you have a say in deciding what days you go where?
    I do - I'm self employed so to a degree have control over my schedule. The problem lies when I have to cover a significant distance, but in the summer on the days when I can cycle, I will!
    Congratulations getting under the £5k! I'll give you an emoji! :beer:
    Thank you! It's all getting a bit addictive! I'm hoping to get below £4,500 in March, but it could be an expensive month for me. It's my birthday in March and my girlfriend and I are celebrating it with a weekend in Bath, where we first went as a new couple back in 2009! We celebrate our anniversary whilst we are there too, so although it's technically my birthday weekend, I'll probably end up with a bill too!
    Have you seen my signature? I'm giving myself an 'award' for cutting the debts off the VirginCC. Silly I know but I'm like 'I've got the bronze, can i now get the silver'!
    I have and well done! Celebrate any win, no matter how small! We're quick to have a go at ourselves, so we should be quick to praise when it's earned!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport