Flagged for fraud in 2013, need help.

Pietruzzo
Pietruzzo Posts: 5 Forumite
edited 6 September 2017 at 7:11AM in Bankruptcy & living with it
Hello folks.

It all started at the end of 2012 when I sold about £2000 worth bitcoin to a total stranger. Back in the days bitcoin transfers weren't easy to achieve, and were done through different channels, but normally everybody's concern back than was to be scammed when buying, not when selling.

At that time I was temporary staying in London and I returned back home to Italy by the beginning of February 2013. In June 2013 I came back to the UK due to a job offer, and was when I suddenly I figured out my Halifax bank account was shut down.

Soon after I went visiting a Halifax's customer care representative I discovered the money I received from the bitcoin transfer were in fact stolen money, and they blamed it all on me.

I didn't have the money anymore, however I offered to pay them back in about 6 months, however they didn't want to have none of that.

From my understanding I have never been legally persecuted, bank lost the money and I got flagged as fraudulent customer.

That same year I tried to open a basic bank account with Santander and HCBC, however both requests were rejected right the way.

The only private organization that was willing to give me a basic bank account was Thinkmoney, although it was pricey.

I left the UK for good in 2014 and closed my account with Thinkmoney since I had no reasons to keep paying £10 monthly fee.

And here comes the questions. Since I am moving back to the UK next week I would like to figure out if it is worth trying to open a very basic bank account or wait for another two years.

I have read these kind of flags stay on for about 6 years. Do I get flagged again if I try opening a basic bank account? If so, will the flag count go back to 0 and will have to wait an additional 6 years to get cleaned up? I am scared for real.

Also, if you believe opening a bank account is a no go at the moment, do you know any better and cheaper alternative to Thinkmoney? Their monthly fee went up from £10 to £17.50, and I remember the whole account opening process took about 2 months, since I had to request a document from the HMRC they would accept as proof of address, which took 40 days to arrive, plus I had to ship over my passport to them.

Thank you and I apologize for the lengthy message.

Regards

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Top up cards an option eg cashplus ?
  • exactly...there are loads of prepaid cards out there - try u-account, they have various options but one includes zero monthly fee-
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    I don't believe that Halifax found out it was 'stolen' money and didn't contact their customer, to whom they have a duty of care.
  • Guest101 wrote: »
    I don't believe that Halifax found out it was 'stolen' money and didn't contact their customer, to whom they have a duty of care.

Of course they did - when the real owner of the money claimed it back through whatever bank it had been defrauded.
    I also believe that the OP may not have updated his address before leaving for Italy so correspondence may well have been returned to Halifax.
  • london1973 wrote: »
    exactly...there are loads of prepaid cards out there - try u-account, they have various options but one includes zero monthly fee-

This u-account looks good at first glance. However, will my employer be able to pay my wages normally as they do with anybody else who is holding a standard bank account with debit card?

Thanks.
    Guest101 wrote: »

Look when I went to speak with an Halifax Representative, after a brief discussion they put me on the phone with a guy in London (probably another Halifax rep?), which asked me where was the money.

I than replied saying I spent them and I asked why, what was the issue with it?

Than I was asked if I remembered of a £2000 transaction made in late 2012, and I replayed yes I do, I sold some bitcoins.

At that point he spilled it out saying that was stolen money from an hacked bank account and that I was part of the money laundry operation.

I told him I knew nothing about it and that I would repay the customer who had this amount stolen, but he didn't care and hang up on my face.

This is really all I know. Since than no banks wanted to give me a basic bank account. Last time I tried was in 2014 though.

Do you think is it worth to go speak with a bank and tell them this situation upfront?

What if they decide to make an attempt for a basic bank account and the opening request fails?

Will the CIFAS flag history count start from 0? From what I read they should remove me from their database in about 2 years.

Thanks
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Depends on the CIFAS fraud category, but normally 6 years.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • There are big credit unions who will allow you to open an account and you can have your wages paid into that
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As above, you need to check your CIFAS record to see the situation.

As an added point, I'm very surprised they even said anything about it over the phone. Normally compliance issues such as this can't be explicitly admitted (until after the entire thing is completed and closed, which can take a year+).
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • This u-account looks good at first glance. However, will my employer be able to pay my wages normally as they do with anybody else who is holding a standard bank account with debit card?

i'm sure if you just give your employer your u-account details it can be paid to them, they do accept bank transfers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure