Cats and their owners!

Comments

• sew12
    sew12 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Use old tea bags soaked in metes fluid. Spread round garden. It works
  • I had a cat poo problem until in desperation I invested in an ultrasonic deterrent (PestBye). I have 2 of these in my garden - it's not a big garden but using 2 means all the corners are covered. As they advise it took a couple of weeks to notice any effect, but since then I've had no cat poo apart from one occasion when the device wasn't working because the batteries had run out.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Maybe we should stop all dogs pee'ing up my wall as they walk past? At least cats bury it. Oh, and while we are at it, stop them barking too. Both pets have their own individual problems, and maybe people should take a wider look at the world, and realise that a bit poo buried in the garden, or a small stream or urine down the path really isnt as bad as it gets. First world problems.
    (For balance, I am both a cat and dog owner)
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Laz123 wrote: »
    Err, no they can't. Cat's sense of smell is so refined that antifreeze and an 'off' rat would ring alarm bells. But you can get odourless poison. I've had cats killed by nasty neighbours this way.

I saw an episode of Supervet when one of the staff's own cats was brought in with poisoning, they said it was antifreeze.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why has my latest post been deleted from the thread by either Cornucopia or Silvercar?...............No explanation or reason why, just deleted. My post was neither rude nor agressive but deleted all the same.

Only Two mods have been active this evening so maybe the one who deleted my post could have the common courtesy to explain why?........ Is it because they own cats ? if so then whats the point of a forum where those who's job it is to moderate it have their own agenda and censor content accordingly.

No Mods on MSE. The board guides only delete spam anything else is dealt with by the forum team you can contact them by email. Presumably your post was reported to the forum team.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • Doooford
    Doooford Posts: 471 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2017 at 12:33PM
    Educating the cats is the way to do it. They just need to fear your garden.
    Have some fun, water balloons, pressure washers, air horns, fireworks, the list goes on.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I reported any posts that suggest poisoning cats.
    I would also request that anyone that has mentioned specific chemicals could remove the names of such chemicals to avoid encouraging those who might wish to miss use them.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • My experience with sonic devices and mice hasn't encouraged me to try it with cats. The little !!!!!!s couldn't have given a monkeys about them.

We have seven(!) next door and they routinely poo in our garden. Not pleasant previously, but it's more imperative we stop them since we had a baby. I've tried granules, spray and gel. Strong citrus fruits and derivatives thereof. None of them work.

Coffee grounds were suggested, but that put them off for about a day.

As someone else pointed out, unless you're able to stay up all night with night vision goggles a water pistol isn't practical. The cats are already skittish around us (from the previous occupants I think) and it hasn't stopped them doing their business. I'm a cat fan and have no desire to hurt them.

I'll give teabags and olbas oil a try. After that it's desperation; a fake cat with marbles for eyes off ebay... :D
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Nightvision isn't necessary, you can get PIR doorbells that alert you if a cat is out there
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • yorkie22
    yorkie22 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    We are always getting cats in the garden making a mess. At first we thought it was a dog getting in as the pile was so big. I phoned a vet and he suggested getting a dog :( Why would I get a dog when I go out to work so it would be left alone all day. Barmpot. I did find some granules in Wilcos which does work providing it does'nt rain shortly after spreading it about the garden,that is about £1.70p per bag. Boyes do one at £1 in a tube. Yes a lot of people don't let their cats out but there is a lot more that do,it's never done in their own garden. When my grandchildren come round I have to check the garden before they can play and I should'nt have to do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure