Dental Insurance Disscusion

Options

Comments

• ayla261
    ayla261 Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I've read through some of the options and not much the wiser at the mo, any suggestions would be welcomed please...my 9 yr old son is going to need serious braces, I had to wear train tracks too and went on nhs, didn't get fitted till i was sixteen and looked dreadful, very painful, felt awful. We are low income family but don't want son to have same thing, even if i could just manage to get the clear braces it would be a bonus. I was looking for a health/dental plan that may help with the cost of this?

:rotfl: obviously preferably one where I can claim cashback or discounts through MSE links
    This time next year Rodney... :D
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh, I really need some advice.

Our dentist changed from NHS to private last year. They are offering some kind of scheme, whereby you pay x amount per month, costs rising according to treatment covered. Now, is this a good idea, will they see the children if I remain their patient and pay on this scheme?

The main difficulty is that in a rural area, services are hard to get to, and it's not always feasible to get into the city for check up's or work, as we are at the mercy of a crock of a car, and public transport is limited.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • thermalnermal_2
    Options
    Hi, I am considering taking out dental insurance because I've not been to the dentist for far too long and while I do not currently have any pain, I'm sure that when I do go there will be things wrong which will cost more money than I can afford.

I've been looking at the small print for dental insurance plans and I understand the three month period before you can claim for most things, but the small print does say that problems identified at the first check up are not covered by the plan (Tesco and HPA). Does this mean that if go for your first check up three months into the plan that conditions identified are or are not covered?

Obviously when I do go to the dentist if treatment needs are identified I want them to be covered by the insurance.

Can I go for my first check up and ask the dentist not to identify any problems and then go again later for another checkup?

How can I get round this?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Without lying, or defrauding the insurance company, you can't really!

You can't ask a professional person to lie on your behalf either. His clinical notes are a legal document.

You could ask for just the bear minimum to be done to get you healthy for the first course of treatment, and have more advanced stuff done later on, if required. But really that's about the best you can hope for.

You wouldn't start looking for car insurance just after you'd wrapped your car around a tree. It's pretty much the same thing you're trying to do with your teeth! :D
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • thermalnermal_2
    Options
    So how about if I take out insurance, wait 3 months and then go to the dentist would any treatment requirements identified at that time be covered?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't know - From what you said was written in the small-print, I'd guess not, but I don't know much about the insurance policies.

I was only going off what you wrote.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • lightning15uk
    Options
    i am not sure if this exists but thought i would ask her e anyway i have loose teeth at the bottom at the front and know that in the not too distant future i am going to loose the front tooth is there a insurance company that will take me on so i can have the tooth removed and replaced the thought of not having a tooth terrifies me x
  • stryker1355
    Options
    :confused:
    Hi, I am considering taking out dental insurance because I've not been to the dentist for far too long and while I do not currently have any pain, I'm sure that when I do go there will be things wrong which will cost more money than I can afford.

I've been looking at the small print for dental insurance plans and I understand the three month period before you can claim for most things, but the small print does say that problems identified at the first check up are not covered by the plan (Tesco and HPA). Does this mean that if go for your first check up three months into the plan that conditions identified are or are not covered?

Obviously when I do go to the dentist if treatment needs are identified I want them to be covered by the insurance.

Can I go for my first check up and ask the dentist not to identify any problems and then go again later for another checkup?

How can I get round this?

I am in a similar situation, Got a few bad teeth, and possibly even need a root canal job, I was last checked up overseas more than two years ago and told that I need to do a root canal ASAP> however due to other commitments(silly me) I have never seen a dentist in the last two years, I have however always used floss, regular brushing and being carefull about what I eat, so I survived.

Ive now reached a situation where I need to be treated soon atleast within 3 months, So I am debating wheter to bother with dental insurance (due to the million t & c's, especially around the 3 month period and pre-existing problems clause) or just go directly private, bearing in mind I have 1 root canal (atleast) and 2/3 cavity jobs.? may cost atleast £500, but then any decent dental insurance is about £250 anyways + and they dont pay full costs.

I am going to try and get a check up soon(asap) and work out the costs/ whether its worth missing out on work and getting it dones overseas or just doing it private and if private wheter the insurance is worth it?.:confused:
  • adam2008
    Options
    Help
    I am 30 years old and have not been to the dentist in over 10 years due to many things.
    My teeth are now in a bad way due to drinking 2ltrs of fizzy drinks per day!! I was addicted.
    Anyway I have got an appointment to see the dentist on tuesday, I dont earn a lot of money and I am worried about the cost.
    I would suffer £500+ for the work if it was to sort my problems however cash is a problem for me at the moment. I have poor credit rating so cant get a loan or card to pay for treatment in the short term.
    My question is when im strapped to the chair and the dentist hits me with the huge bill what options will I have for getting the work done?
    I would pay £30-£40 pounds a month to get it sorted but will I be eligable for this??
    help im scared!!!!!!

Why is it everyone knows a friend whos a mechanic or a computer wiz but nobody has a friend or relative that is a dentist?????
  • Losinmoney
    Losinmoney Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone else had a letter from Tesco on annual renewal of Dental Cover? It drastically cuts the cover and the premium is up £3 a month from £16.95 a month to £19.95 a month..

Previously could claim £200 for routine treatments, reduced to £125

Annual limit for remedial/restorative treatment reduced from £2000 to £1000, and a limit of £500 per person per year for crowns and bridges. For this treatment as a private patient, Tesco now pay 50% instead of 80% of the total overall cost

They are offering a No Claims Discount if I don't claim, but not claiming defeats the object!

Shall I just get all my teeth pulled out? I'm 55, with all my own teeth!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure