PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 December 2013 at 10:14AM
    mardatha wrote: »
    That's my bank and my monthly money is due in today... off up to the branch this morning to see if I can get it over the counter. Although I think I'm ok for food:D:D
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Yeah, I imagine famine in the Mardy household was narrowly avoided.

I wonder if this latest RBS blip will cause customers to say S*d this for a bunch of soldiers, I'm off to another bank.

Or to carry and transact in cash, and always keep a good float in your wallet? Who knows? I think I shall extract some more spondulicks from my bank today, so's I'm holding the majority of my money myself.

Not that I'm an RBS or NatWest customer, but they're a bunch of crims, the whole lot of them.

:j I've got the day off work and am being taken out for lunch by a pal. Will have to Dress Up and Look Respectable, so will be needing to spend some time and effort digging out my smart duds, but it's a small price to pay.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • For info, I've just been into natwest on line, and it appears to be working this am. I have a second bank account elsewhere which I can use if not, but am mightly miffed at all the problems its causing for people.
  • GreyQueen
    Hollyberry wrote: »
    For info, I've just been into natwest on line, and it appears to be working this am. I have a second bank account elsewhere which I can use if not, but am mightly miffed at all the problems its causing for people.
    :( Let's hope it stays up and good on ya for having a second account.

Makes me realise that cash-users like myself a probably a small minority by now and how vulnerable this leaves people. Imagine being stranded at a fuel station, either not being allowed to refuel, or not having the means to pay for what you have put in your tank? It's not like leaving a trolley of groceries behind, it's theft if you drive off without paying, but what do you do, otherwise? Sit on the forecourt until the bank gets its act together? Hours? Days?

Be interested if anyone who has personally knowledge of the fuel-selling business could advise what the contingency plan is in such a case, or if it's so uncommon that no one has lined up a plan.

Stories like this are like an unwelcome chilly breeze to us who think in the preptastic way, as we can imagine what would happen in a financial crisis which causes a "Bank Holiday" extended close-down.

Keep food and essentials in, keep those fuel tanks topped and hold cash.......... we don't want to be the ones caught out.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • I once fuelled up and went to use my card and it was declined, they took my details, address, name, card details etc. and my reg. number. Luckily it was 15mins (quick trip to the bank) and I returned red faced to pay my bill!

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• GreyQueen
    :) Thanks, krustylouise.

I guess the fuel station would be in a difficult position; imagine you have a 12-pump forecourt and 10 of them are occupied by fuelled cars with no means to pay for their fuel. Some of the customers queueing to get onto the forecourt might have cash waiting, but meanwhile, your business is stalled (pun intended).

When I worked as a shorthaul delivery driver, we had a company card to fuel up at a certain designated fuel station in town, but if that had been declined, we would have been stuffed, and so would the customers waiting for what we were delivering.

A small part of my job involves taking debit and credit card payments over the phone and I'm noticing more and more "declines" in the past few weeks. We enter the customer's card details into our computer program and then submit them to the big banking servers on the web. Takes about 5 seconds and it is accepted or declined.

Doesn't give us any reason for a decline so all we can do is ask the customer to contact their bank. Several times, I've had a "declined" customer back again a few mins later and the reason that their bank gave was that the activity looked suspicious. So they blocked it.

So, if you're planning to make a couple of retail purchases/ hotel bookings and then pay your council tax, please be aware that your trigger-happy bank may consider this to be a suspicious activity and decline it.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • I completely understand what you mean. Luckily that was the first (and hopefully last time for me!) I was the only customer in the station at that time, it's only a small garage (4 pumps) and there are approximately 6 others in town. Im so glad they didn't assume I was some sort of crook. I guess the sheer look of shock on my face told the story!

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hollyberry wrote: »
    For info, I've just been into natwest on line, and it appears to be working this am. I have a second bank account elsewhere which I can use if not, but am mightly miffed at all the problems its causing for people.

I can't get in - tried again just now. Annoyed with myself - I always had a big cash float until recently when I let it run down and haven't topped it up. Lesson learned. Although I do have alternative means of getting cash and don't need to go out.

However DD1 is hoping to buy her first flat soon and will possibly get a mortgage with RBS. It would be a right palaver if this happened when she was due to complete - not sure what one could do about that
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Wyre
    Wyre Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Morning folks, just back from the school.

Cash machine was working fine at 7am and I have just done a transfer between account online so *touch wood* everything seems back to normal. I do have an account with another bank but it is online only (to prevent it being spent unnecessarily) and I haven't set up transfers to hubby's account yet so must get that sorted.

And thanks to all regarding the wellies vs. boots debate. I shall now be looking at walking boots and gaiters as that seems to be general consensus. I really appreciate the advice.

I was a little shocked today as it was brought home to me just how far the compensation culture has come. When someone states they are due compensation for the driver leaving the bus for 3 minutes at the bus station as it is cold, then really there is no hope for us!
    Spam Reporter Extraordinaire

A star from Sue-UU is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • GreyQueen
    Wyre wrote: »
    I was a little shocked today as it was brought home to me just how far the compensation culture has come. When someone states they are due compensation for the driver leaving the bus for 3 minutes at the bus station as it is cold, then really there is no hope for us!
    :D Not so much a stiff upper lip, more a nation of great big crybabies, hey?

I always observe that those with the most suffering are those least likely to moan and whinge, it's the crybabies with nothing much to complain about who are always banging on about their rights, compensation and their mahoosive sense of entitlement.

I encounter some doozies of this nature in my working life - no names, no packdrill, but I'm often left flabberghasted. Trouble is, this culture doesn't come for free, we all pay for these whining ninnies one way or the other.

Just wish we could send a transnational memo; Stuff Happens, inc Bad Stuff. You Will Probably Fall over if You Don't Pick up Your Feet, Look Both Ways before Crossing the Road and, last but not least, Grow UP!
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Just to say nice to know that my "Arla" range offer was of help Hollyberry.

Adverse weather keeps being predicted so I also keep stocking up on UHT milk whilst road conditions allow (bicycle transport). Also have other stores at home such as dried milk, nuts or seeds for "milk" making to minimise the hazards/expense of going out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure