Comparison websites not user friendly?

PawelK
PawelK Posts: 373 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Good morning.

Perhaps a silly thing but really annoying. Whatever website I use to compare dual fuel prices it doesn't give an option of switching from prepayment to DD but only shows offers relating to what I am currently on.
I recently moved into my first property and the current set up is a smart meter of BG with top up cards. I want to see what my best tariff would be so I can switch but at the same time change to monthly DD.
Do I just "lie" on comparison websites and say I am currently on monthly DD so it shows me the relevant options?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    PawelK wrote: »

Do I just "lie" on comparison websites and say I am currently on monthly DD so it shows me the relevant options?

Yes. PCWs only need to know your present tariff so that they can come up with an annual cost projection and savings. Remember if you switch, your meter will lose its smart comms.

Finally, all cost comparisons must be in kWhs/year and not £s.
  • PawelK
    PawelK Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks Hengus. If I switch to another provider, would they be installing their own smart meter? Can't they use the existing one? Even though it is marked BG, I would be paying to a new supplier. Unless they would not have sufficient software to accommodate that.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks Hengus. If I switch to another provider, would they be installing their own smart meter? Can't they use the existing one? Even though it is marked BG, I would be paying to a new supplier. Unless they would not have sufficient software to accommodate that.

I doubt it. All suppliers have been tasked by Government with coming up with a firmware upgrade by 2020 to graft foundation stage meters on to the the new central hub - The Data Communications Company. As 10M foundation stage meters have been installed, it is unlikely that suppliers will want to replace these meters as each replacement cost is added indirectly to consumers' bills.

Your meter will still work, you will just have to read it from time to time.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Good morning.

Perhaps a silly thing but really annoying. Whatever website I use to compare dual fuel prices it doesn't give an option of switching from prepayment to DD but only shows offers relating to what I am currently on.
    I recently moved into my first property and the current set up is a smart meter of BG with top up cards. I want to see what my best tariff would be so I can switch but at the same time change to monthly DD.

It is not that the PCW are unfriendly, but rather that you are attempting to request a service that is not supported by the sites.

You can only switch to a supplier & tariff compatable with your existing metering, and that is the results you are therefore shown.

If you want to switch the meter, either contact your existing supplier to request a credit meter or switch to another supplier onto a PPM tariff, and then ask them if they will give you a credit meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure