Reigning it in!

Comments

• I ended up doing a mixture of shopping between Lidl and Sainsbury's because I wasn't able to get everything I wanted in Lidl. Spent £17.15 in Lidl which included £1.99 on 12 bottles of water for the holiday (we are driving to europe) and £17.30 in Sainsbury's. Sainsbury's included £6.50 on loo roll (Family size pack because it was on offer!) and also £1.50 on a pack of cereal bars for the holiday that we can snack on instead of buying things at the services. I need a get a couple more packs I reckon to eat as snacks during the day. The shop should last us until Friday's evening meal - I just need to buy some green beans for Friday's meal as they don't really survive that long!

I did a bit of comparisons in Sainsbury's as I went round (sad I know!). I bought 1 lemon from Sainsbury's at 35p but would have had to buy a pack of lemons at Lidl for over £1 so I need to bare this in mind if I am not going to use a large quantity or I need to plan meals around using it all up. I waited for Sainsbury's for the single cream as only needed 75ml for a recipe and Lidl only had a big tub. It cost more at Sainsbury's for 150ml than for a big tub at Lidl! I do hate waste though...I bought some cheese in Lidl, £2.49 for 350g but then the cheese was on offer in Sainsbury's at £2 for 350g so need to check deals out online before I shop. Annoyed that I could have saved more but putting it down to learning :)

So taking out the holidays bits and the loo roll, meals and lunches have come to £24.46. Pretty pleased with this but I am aware that I have used fish out of the freezer for 2 of the meals and we are having dinner at my OH's parents on Monday so the shopping would have been more. Work in progress!

Some positive news today - put my meter readings in for Gas and Electric and we are £34 in credit whoop! Spent the whole time in negative before now so that is good. Need to look at switching soon as the deal is coming in end (did the collective switch with MSE) so glad we don't owe them anything!
    01.05.2019 - Re-Mortgage - £142,000 :eek::eek::eek: Total overpaid to date: £15,584.33.
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • There's an app called 'my supermarket ' iveonly just started using it and am struggling a little , but the basic idea is you plan your shopping and it tells you where is cheapest
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • laurag89
    laurag89 Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well done fruitloop4 you are doing brilliantly!

Amazing job on the food shops for holiday, and the clothes shopping - with looking in your wardrobe first etc!
    Total debt to pay: £14,071.41/ Remaining debt: £12,884.12: Amount Paid: £1,187.29

Survey xmas 2018 savings: £10 / £150
  • Thank you for the tip re:mysupermarket - have downloaded and will have a play :) It's good you can check whilst you are in the supermarket! My OH has requested tracker bars as his snack for on holiday so will check this to see if it cheaper anywhere :) doesn't look like it is at the moment - just checked the app ;)

Thanks Laurag - It feels like a new me! I feel in control - I am already focused on overpaying on the mortgage after I have paid off the credit cards :)

Just making a lasagna - I was planning on making enough for 4 portions but have some left over mince mixture so this will be an extra lunch with some cheese on it! This made me happy lol maybe that and the remaining bottle of wine that I MUST finish now it's open and it's duty to the lasagna is done :rotfl:
    01.05.2019 - Re-Mortgage - £142,000 :eek::eek::eek: Total overpaid to date: £15,584.33.
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • laurag89
    Great idea!
    Its such a nice feeling to feel like you are taking control over it!

I feel really positive at the moment and can't wait to see this debt go.
    Agree with the mortgage idea, I know its different but it is still a debt at the end of the day. The quicker it clears the less interest that is paid.
    Total debt to pay: £14,071.41/ Remaining debt: £12,884.12: Amount Paid: £1,187.29

• Wanted to post on here before I walked in to town to say what I need so I don't come back with anything else!! Looking okay on the holiday clothing front so pleased to say all I need is a white top to go with a skirt, a sun hat and a light knit cardigan to throw over dresses in the evening. I am quite pleased with that!

Hopefully will get a sun hat in the sales and a white top shouldn't be too much (I do want a nice one though that yo can't see your bra through :rotfl: I think the cardigan is going to be where the most money is spent but I can wear this for the winter so seeing it as an investment!

I have deliberately left it quite late in the day to go in so I don't have loads of time to shop! It is going to be a hot walk in to town though. Will post what I buy on here after - shout at me if I buy something else!!
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • laurag89
    Good luck on your shopping trip!
    Brilliant idea to post on here beforehand!

:)

• Thanks laurag! It was quite an unsuccessful shopping :( only managed to buy a sun hat which was £12. Had to buy a children's one because all adult ones were too big! Decided an off white top would go better with the skirt but couldn't find one. They were all see through! Will look online, maybe order a couple and send one of them back.
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • Morning :)

Hoping for a no spend today as I have bought several things online yesterday, but most of them will be going back. I have ordered 3 off white tops in the sale and 2 cardigans with the view that 2 of the tops will go back and 1 of the cardigans will go back (hopefully the more expensive cardigan!).

I have made my coffee and had some toast for breakfast this morning. I am out of shakes but will buy some more when I get back from holiday depending on how much we spend whilst away! Have made lunch of a mozzarella salad and will take some nuts with that were already in the cupboard. Should be no need to spend anything today but I am going to take my purse with me just in case I need petrol - I shouldn't do but I am not sure how many miles I will do today as I am visiting loads of different sites.

The thing I have found so strange is how quick your mindset switches out of spend mode when you become more conscious of it. I have only been doing this just over a week I think and my habits have changed considerably. I am determined to make them routines and stick to them! It feels good to not spend money!

Little things I have started doing (only since yesterday):

Opening the window in my car rather than having the air con on full blast.
    Opening the window in the bathroom after having a shower instead of leaving the fan to run until I go back up.
    Opening the curtains first thing in the morning rather than keeping them all closed with the lights on until I am ready for the day.

Will add to these :)
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • too_much_debt
    too_much_debt Posts: 3,218 Forumite
    Good luck with the debt busting!

TMD
    Sealed Pot Challenge #016
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing