PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Best Investments To Save Money In The Long Run?

Options

Comments

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've got space for one, an old-fashioned clothes horse for drying clothes is useful - I've saved a fortune as I haven't used a tumble dryer for ages!

I have one of those heated ones from Lakeland and it is honestly one of my best purchases. I live in a flat so even having damp bath towels hanging around is not good re: mould etc. I use my airer every day.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    grunnie wrote: »
    A
    A clothes airer and if you use a tumble drier put a dry tea towel in and the wet washing will dry quicker.

I've never heard of that.:)
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never heard of that.:)
    Shortens the time from about 60 minutes to about 40 for a pair kingsize cotton sheets.
    The dry tea towel absorbs the water from the washing and then it dries too. magic
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I'm going to try the tea towel thing right after my load of washing finishes.:)
  • emperorstevee
    Options
    I have a no central heating rule. It is unreliable and expensive, as are all fossil fuels :) Rather than keeping central heating on, which has to constantly burning fuel aka money for every second that it is on, I have invested in curtains and wear more layers, close windows and doors etc
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also believe in good door mats at every entrance. Most dust comes in on your feet so a door mat cuts down on the amount of dust over your floors. I also take my outside shoes off when I come home and have a pair of shoes just for in the house. Cuts the need to hoover everyday if you have kids ( I had 3 sons ) when their pals came round I could work out who was upstairs by recognising their trainers.:rotfl:
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a no central heating rule. It is unreliable and expensive, as are all fossil fuels :) Rather than keeping central heating on, which has to constantly burning fuel aka money for every second that it is on, I have invested in curtains and wear more layers, close windows and doors etc
    How is central heating 'unreliable'? Are you saying you have no heating at all then?
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2017 at 3:50PM
    Options
    I totally agree about the value of a slowcooker...it easily recoups the initial investment
    But does it? There have been mixed opinions on here. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=518702&highlight=slow+cooker+electricity+cost I've tried to get an answer off the net but a lot of comparisons are based on cooking in the oven as an alternative. But what about something simmering on a hob? And what if you use the oven to capacity when it's on?
    I've heard of people cooking things like bolognese in a slow cooker. Imo that's ridiculous. I do have a slow cooker but only use it for cheap cuts of meat. Plus I'm on E7 so for me, putting it on overnight is good value.
    Not convinced generally though.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have three slow cookers of varying sizes, paid £5/£3/£1 for them at car boot sales. I think they pay their way!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd never heard of a remoska until I read this thread. Was really taken by the idea until I discovered how much they cost. How long/often would I have to use one to be in 'profit'. I have a double oven - both fitting into the size of a single ordinary one, and except at Christmas I only ever use the smaller of the two. I assume that because it is so small it's cheap to run. How much cheaper would a remoska be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure