PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,756 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have things in common . We spoke of walks along NB Prom , we both lived near the seaside and now you've mentioned Milton .
    My eldest lived in four different locations in Scotland when she was regional manager for Scotland . One was up from Aberfoyle village in a house alongside the river opposite the beginning of the road to the forestry area . I miss it still .
    The two dogs I have owned were a manic welsh collie in the 50s . I think he'd have been better if we had a herd of sheep . Early 80s we owned a black lab who ate the doors , door frames and every thing else in sight whether we were home or not .
    Sun has got it's hat on , hope everyone has some too .
    polly
    I will try hard not to ponder !

We do indeed have a lot in common. We still live fairly close to NB. It was our collie who ate the kitchen flooring. Our labrador was a black lab too. My friend had a black lab guide dog. While she was saying hello to her new boss the dog had her head in his desk drawer and ate his biscuits.....

My great great grandparents on my mum's side were McCleans from Iona. I haven't managed to track down where my great grandfather was born although I know where he died - Glasgow, which is where my gran and my mum were born. I have done quite a bit of my family tree. The Scotland's People website is good as you get the certificate that you pay for online immediately and it doesn't cost as much as the English ones where you pay more and get a hard copy in the post. The slum clearances didn't just happen in Glasgow. I have done a family tree for a friend and his mum's cousins were sent from a workhouse in Nottingham to Canada. They were in the workhouse because their mum was widowed - records show her travelling to Canada and bringing some of them back. Others had married and stayed there. Hard and sad times....
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I loved the Chalet school books, and always hoped that really I was adopted and I was meant to go to boarding school like one of my cousins did!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    I used to love the Chalet school books too. Loved the idea of boarding school and having to be tidy all the time-my mother hated housework so our house was always untidy.

If anyone still has any Chalet School books some of them-even the paperbacks-are quite collectable.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ivyleaf, I loved all Dornford Yates books but particularly the 'Berry' books. I thought they were hilarious.

There were lots of books like them. I'm thinking of Howard Spring, R.F.Delderfield, AJCronin. Also there were some very holy/sentimental books much loved by my grandmother and thought suitable for my mother and her sister. The Rosary was one. There must have been many more that I have forgotten. I absorbed them all at a very early age. Sometimes my aunt would utter a feeble protest. "Do you think she should be reading that at her age?" DM would advocate leaving me alone.

I also loved Leslie Charteris's The Saint. I even had a teddy called Claude Eustace. I was bitterly disappointed with the T V series. It was nothing like the vision I had in my head from reading the books.

In fact I've had to bypass several TV series because I know the books too well and can't bear to have my imagined characters ruined.

Lovely to know that I'm not the only book crazy one around.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Little house on the prairie, the books are great, way better than the tv series. I had a James Bond book confiscated at school, it was assumed that I had stolen it from my parents but my mum had given it to me to read. She also let me read D H Lawrence, Lolita and all the Harold Robins before I left school!
    It explains a lot doesn't it.

We are moored in Cookham, very posh place, but cheap moorings, only £6 for overnight stay and there is rubbish disposal. We filled up with water at the last lock so that may last us until we get home.

I told CHS this morning that someone we know is pregnant, he asked if I'd had a text message, I told him no, but that I'd 'seen' our friend breastfeeding. Time will tell if I'm correct.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ooh books! My weakness! As a child I would read anything and everything. All the Road Dahls, little women, faraway tree, wishing chair, tolkein, Pratchett, even some god-awful mills and boon books at my grandma's when there was nothing else! My kids aren't too fussed about reading, too much readily available, mind numbing technology. Shame, my house is full of books.

I'd sign up to a grumpy, sarcastic old !!!!!! thread - despite being in my 30's :-D

Fuddle, I keep reading about your lottie troubles and I'm livid at the unfairness of it. I hope you can rise above it and settle in so you can enjoy it.

Burtha, hope you're coping and DD is getting there - although it will be slow and steady.

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • Floss
    Hester I forgot about Laura Ingalls Wilders books! They are fab :)
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Monna As our "Miss Read " things are looking good for you . Dora Sharpe who wrote as Dora Saint lived to the good old age of 98 .
    As she was born in 1913 she did well to have the chance to train for teaching . She passed away in 2012 and certainly led a long and fulfilling life .
    I read and enjoyed all the AJ Cronin books and my image of the right sort of Doctor is based on Andrew Manson in "The Citadel " ok he went off course for a while but he came back and our doctor always brings him to mind although he has so far veered from his path .
    That book was supposed to be something that helped with the introduction of the NHS and over the years felt very dated . Now it seems pretty relevant . I may read it yet again . I haven't kept them all but I know I have that " Hatters Castle " and a few others still .

Hester Every Laura Ingalls Wilder book has been read and loved by all the family females . I always prefer the book to film or tv versions . I make some exceptions , the BBC series of some books have been very good . Who can forget Colin Firth as D'Arcey ?
    Rebus will always be Ken Stott to me . The Dickens series have been good too.
    Enjoy pottering along . That's a very cheap mooring charge . Maybe we should all take to the waterways .although I doubt book collections would be allowed , we'd be down among the fishes before we cast off .

polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Floss
    Polly my DH reckons John Hannah is really Rebus! I must say that the best film adaptations made were the Tolkien books - just as they were described and illustrated.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I've got some AJ Cronin here. My mother went off her head when she found me reading them when I was about 13, but now I realise that she had that upbringing in a pit village as one of ten children and she probably didn't want to ever remember it again. I liked the early sci-fi books by John Creasy - Dr Palfrey - and Quatermass. I loved Gavin Lyall and Duncan Kyle. Loved Sherlock Holmes. So many books, fabulous company for an only child who hated sports and crowds :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback