Joint ESA claim.

Options
Hi, me and my partner moved in together about a month ago and I receive income related ESA and I'm in the support group. My partner stopped working to look after me due to my mental health and was claiming income support and carers allowance before we moved in together but my PIP has been stopped so he stopped getting this about 3 weeks ago. I notified ESA and they have sent me a ESA3 form to fill out and send back, I was wondering if anyone knew how much we would get and if him receiving income support before affects it at all? Also what are the working conditions for joint ESA if he was to go to work part time? As I'm currently pregnant and with the baby coming next month I don't think it will be enough to live off and would be a struggle. Thanks

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Eb70 wrote: »
    Hi, me and my partner moved in together about a month ago and I receive income related ESA and I'm in the support group. My partner stopped working to look after me due to my mental health and was claiming income support and carers allowance before we moved in together but my PIP has been stopped so he stopped getting this about 3 weeks ago. I notified ESA and they have sent me a ESA3 form to fill out and send back, I was wondering if anyone knew how much we would get and if him receiving income support before affects it at all? Also what are the working conditions for joint ESA if he was to go to work part time? As I'm currently pregnant and with the baby coming next month I don't think it will be enough to live off and would be a struggle. Thanks

Anything he earns will be taken into account to decide how much ESA you get.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2017 at 2:10PM
    Options
    You should check to see if you have an entitlement to ESA Conts, if you do, you will keep this ESA Conts amount whether he works or not, everything below this line is about ESA Income Related not ESA Conts.

Your Income Related ESA (ESA IR) basic amount will now be £174.25 a week.
    • If he works, you have to tell DWP.ESA
    • If he works 24 hours a week, you will get nothing on ESA IR , but your claim will stay open for National Insurance Credits.
    • If he works less than 24 hours a week, £20 a week will be disregarded from his earnings amount, the rest will be deducted from your ESA IR

If he earns £94.25 a week (working less than 24 hours a week) your ESA IR will be £100 a week.

If he earns £20 a week (working less than 24 hours a week) your ESA will be £174.25 a week.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 October 2017 at 1:22PM
    Options
    First of all check your ESA award letter and see if you have a contribution based claim with an income based top up.
    (Were you working full time before you made your ESA claim?)

As a couple claiming income based ESA your partner can work up to 24 hrs a week and you can still keep your claim open for NI credits. Any earning would be deducted from the ESA except for a £20 disregard so you would not get any ESA (unless you had a contribution based part)

If he works 24 hrs a week or more than you may be eligible for working tax credits.

Sorry, it is complicated!

When the baby is born you can claim Child Benefit and possibly child tax credits too (depending on income) - you would get NI credits towards your state pension through CB so no worries there if your ESA claim ends.

Much depends on how many hours your partner can work considering his caring responsibilities.

Also if your PIP appeal is successful there may be other scenarios possible but this could be some months away.

In the mean time check your award letter about the contribution based question and tell us how many hours your partner can work.

You can use a benefit calculator - https://www.turn2us.org.uk - to try different scenarios.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    First of all check your ESA award letter and see if you have a contribution based claim with an income based top up.
    This bit is correct, you should check for an award of ESA Conts. I will edit my post above to include this.
    As a couple claiming income based ESA your partner can work up to 24 hrs a week and you can still keep your claim open for NI credits. Any earning would be deducted from the ESA except for a £20 disregard so you would not get any ESA (unless you had a contribution based part)
    This bit is not very well worded and is wrong in the way it has been worded. (sorry) Please see my post above,
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    epitome wrote: »
    This bit is correct, you should check for an award of ESA Conts. I will edit my post above to include this.

This bit is not very well worded and is wrong in the way it has been worded. (sorry) Please see my post above,

Well I am glad that I got one part right! Sorry, Miss!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure