Birmingham for the day, free parking on Sunday?

Going to Birmingham for the day on 26th April, can anyone recommend things to do for free or cheaply and any free parking in the area on a Sunday?. Also somewhere nice but not too expensive for lunch?, Carvery or a wetherspoons? etc. Hoping to take a stroll down the canal and have a look in the bullring.

Thanks

Andy:)

Comments

• 214 views and no replies? :undecided
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nobody's ever been to Birmingham for a day trip before. You're breaking new ground.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2015 at 11:59AM
    Parking in council car park will cost you something like £3.00 a day.

there is only few spaces near city center you can park free on sunday. But i get pass quite a few time by 9.30, there are always with parked car.

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/parking

If you are going to get near the canal, probably go for PARADISE CIRCUS MULTI-STOREY
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 23 April 2015 at 11:53AM
    What sort of things do you like doing? Birmignahm Museum and Art Gallery in Chamberlain Square, The Ikon Gallery Brindley Place, Think Tank which is the Science Museum. All free and I think they are all open Sundays. Parks? If the weather is nice Cannon Hill Park for a walk and you could call into the Midlands Art Centre, Edgbaston Cricket Ground across the road if there is a match on. Historic buildings? Aston Hall don't know charges off hand.

Lots of Weatherspoons, depends where you are going but certainly one on Corporation St and Hurst St and I think Broad St.

If you give us more of a clue about what you like, obviously Bull Ring will be lots of shopping.

Free car parking again depends where you are going, used to be some free parking down side streets on Sundays but not sure as haven't been for a while.

Are you a couple, children going etc will all help to give us a clue.

You could park at Cannon Hill Park and get the bus, just a few stops into City Centre also lots of free on street parking just outside City Centre. Depends which direction you are coming from.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Depends really what you are interested in and who with.

Stab in the dark, but Cannon Hill Park could be worth a look if the weather is nice. Good outdoor crazy golf course and I think they've got a food market on that day.

If you are going into the city then the area around Sherborne Street/Ryland Street tends to be free onstreet parking. Short walk will take you to Brindley place, and onto the canals to walk to Mailbox and onto the Bullring.

Weatherspoons etc on Broad Street (which is by Brindley Place) but would personally look to use vouchercloud and go somewhere like Handmade Burger with the offer. If you're into Ale then some good bars (Pure Bar etc) around the city.

New library has a good viewing platform of the city and is free, think they also have a table tennis table at the base and a number of exhibits.

Canals and shops as mentioned, and there is due to be a owl hunt (giant owls painted differently and dotted around the city) but not sure if that's in place by this weekend.

Electric cinema is a good old school cinema with sofas and drinks/cake can be ordered whilst you watch.

Tripadvisor is probably worth a look as will be easier to compare your own interests.
  • Thanks for replies, I will be going with my pregnant wife and 4 year old daughter, so a short walk down canal tied in with a bit of sight seeing and a look around the shops. In short I like walking, wife likes shopping and daughter likes being a little monkey... was looking at thinktank but it seems you have to pay to get in.
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    I didn't realise the thinktank was so expensive. Cannon Hill Park would definitely be good for a four year old. Take her on a boat on the lake, feed the ducks, play in the playgrounds or walk round the nature trails. If your wife needs a break, she might like a sit down in the Midlands Art Centre where she can get a nice coffee and cake while you run the legs off the little one. My GC love it there when we go to Birmingham.

I am sure the shops with the walk by the canal and playing in the park will all be good fun. Hope it goes well, do let us know how you get on.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • Thanks mumps, some great suggestions there. The weather forecast has given rain though so might not be so good!.
  • mumps
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Well if its raining the only free thing I can think of is the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, don't know what you little one likes but it is a great museum, Ancient Greeks, Staffordshire Hoard, fossils, even a Triceratops skull.

There is a soft play centre close to Bull Ring on Park St but I think it would be £5 or £6.

Hope you have a good day.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/citycentrecarparks

For parking I would suggest the Town Hall Multi Storey, it is pretty central for the canals and museums etc and costs £3 all day on Sundays.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure