Selling shares

2»

Comments

• So let me get this straight in my newbie mind.

Is there a difference between what I've done today - and a share option scheme through my employer? Because colleagues in the past have had to pay a sum on the gains they've made when they sold (at a profit).

Obviously this would depend on if the profit exceeds the CGT allowance (which I can't confirm).
    • If I only make £500 out of this execution in this tax year - do I simply ignore telling HMRC?
    • Can I simply close the account and forget all about it and keep the £500 profit in my pocket?
    • Should I miraculously make £10k profit - what do I need to read / complete?

Thanks so much for your time :)

F
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    FireBox wrote: »
    • A) If I only make £500 out of this execution in this tax year - do I simply ignore telling HMRC?
    • B) Can I simply close the account and forget all about it and keep the £500 profit in my pocket?
    • C) Should I miraculously make £10k profit - what do I need to read / complete?

A) Yes. B) No need - see A;) C) You'll need to complete an SA return and include the CGT pages (CGT is collected / accounted for under SA).

..... also be nice if you told me, if these are a 'cert'!
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • I put some cash into Apple Inc. (AAPL)

I wouldn't say they're a 'cert'. I'm purely going by my knowledge of the industry and my feeling of the 3G iPhone.

$125 is cheap. Depends on how the US economy fairs in the next 6-8 months. If I need to stay long-term, I'll do so :)

Thank-you so much for your time - its greatly appreciated
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Best of luck with them.

The reason for my initial hesitation (cold calls) is that there's a lot of 'boiler room scams' going the rounds and particularly concentrating on US shares. However, you normally buy from the scammers ... so the fact you purchased from HoodlessBrennan did suggest it wasn't a 'persuaded' purchase.
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure