Life Begins at ... 35?

Options
Hello! :hello:

I used to be a very regular poster here - back in 2010 I was happy, had a decent job, was in a great relationship (or so I thought at the time), saving up for a house/wedding, all the things you do in your mid-late 20s.

At 28 my ex cheated on me and left.
At 29 my beloved Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
At 31 I jacked in my job and spent an unbelievably stressful year training to be a teacher.
At 32 I spent my NQT year in a really rough school with no support from management whatsoever.
At 33 I quit teaching and my dad died about four months later.
At 34 I found myself being bullied by management in a horrible job.

Someone once told me that life works in seven year cycles (something to do with Saturn?) so I’m hoping that this will be true in my case - the last seven years have been horrendous for me on all fronts so I’m hoping the next seven will be brilliant to make up for it.

My current situation is this:

- I live alone with my cat in the house I grew up in, which I own outright (so that’s one stress I don’t have - whatever happens I have a roof over my head!).

- Both my parents have died and I'm an only child. My elderly and increasingly infirm granny lives nearby and depends on me a lot, but I try to limit how much I do for her for my own sanity (I feel awful saying that but it's true).

- I have a decent amount of savings but these are rapidly being depleted (so I hope I’m welcome on the DFW board - I’ve always found it the friendliest, and I am aiming to *stay* debt-free).

- The only job I have is one Spanish evening class a week, which far from pays the bills and I don’t really want to keep long term as the preparation time needed is more than the pay is worth. But it’s a little bit of pocket money for now.

- I put on three stone while teaching and am still trying to lose it. Unfortunately I eat when I’m stressed, so…

- I have now been single for six years. I’ve had a few internet dates but nothing that didn’t make me want to enlist in a nunnery.

I’ve just returned from a wonderful, relaxing, rejuvenating holiday and have realised that my 35th birthday is 17 weeks away. I want to start that next phase of my life in a much better state than the one outlined above. I am surrounded by lists and ideas of what to do next. I’ve posted on a couple of threads on here and was thinking about bullet journals, project planners and all sorts, then I thought an online diary might keep me focused, even if no-one else reads it.

So, here I am. And this is my mission:

Get a grip on my finances -
What are my outgoings? What can I cut out? Limit my spending radically and keep a spending diary.

Find a job -
Any job, even a temp job for now.

Lose weight and improve my fitness -
I’ve been following Slimming World with varied success, and I recently paid upfront for a year’s leisure centre membership so I will be re-engaging with both of those.

Deep clean the house -
I recently bought Kim and Aggie’s book in a charity shop and it really inspired me. My house is a hovel.

Declutter and get organised -
I still have loads of teaching paperwork and Dad’s paperwork, plus my laptop files are in disarray and I have 2000+ photos clogging up my phone. I do Kondo in fits and starts so I need to gain some more momentum with this.

Decorate the house -
My bedroom is almost finished and I have everything I need for downstairs, I just need to roll my sleeves up.

Be proactive about my love life -
Yeah. This is the lowest priority at the moment.

Here goes…
Weightloss: 14.5/65lb

Comments

• Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Okay, so today’s to-do list is a mini one because I’m still suffering massively with jet lag and didn’t wake up til after 12.30, and I’m going out to a library event at 6pm.

- Post birthday card
    - Clear down inbox and respond to emails (I wasn’t able to access my Hotmail from abroad, apparently it’s an anti-hacking measure, so annoying!)
    - Unpack properly
    - Washing
    - Wash up
    - Order crochet hooks
    - Order flowers
  • Wanno
    Wanno Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tete
    For some reason your diary struck a chord with me. We are both hoping for a bit of a turn around in our 35th year!

Wishing you the best of luck - I'm going to subscribe and hopefully we can bring about some new and exciting changes this coming year.
    Wanno
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Welcome back to the boards Tete. You have really been through a lot. I truly hope the next phase works out for you. Good luck with it all.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Soundgirlrocks
    Options
    34 next month, and in a very similar position!
  • lulabelle
    lulabelle Posts: 944 Forumite
    Options
    Hey T - you really have had a rough ride - I feel for you.

Am subscribing and will be here to help.

Re the weight loss issue (and if you don't have much work on at the moment) have you thought about getting a charity place for the london marathon or some other marathon if that seems a bit close? Having something to train and aim for really will boost how you feel, whilst raising money for a good cause plus you'll lose tons of weight whilst still eating plenty! I did it last year literally going from walk/run to running the LM with 13 weeks training - one of the best things I've every done x
    I want to be a writer
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    GOOD MORNING! I actually managed a normal night's sleep last night (12.00-06.30) so I'm over the moon to have a full day ahead of me though I feel like absolute carp. My immune system is normally pretty aggressive though (hello psoriasis!) so hopefully this cold will soon be gone.

Thanks for all your replies, nice to hear from people in similar positions. Bring on the mid 30s - we're ready for you!

Lulabelle - I posted a bit on your thread just now about running. I entered the Great North Run in 2011 after my breakup and started from scratch, but have been running ever since and my running group is a big part of my life. I was running about two Halfs a year but in 2015 I decided to challenge myself to run 13 Half Marathons and raised £4000 for Cancer Research.

This year has been more of a year of rest as I've come to terms with everything else life has been throwing at me, and I've only done one Half. I've never done a full marathon and was offered charity places in NYC next month and London next year, but turned both down because I did so much fundraising last year for a charity so close to my heart, and people were so generous, that I wouldn't feel comfortable raising money for charities that don't mean as much to me having just raised so much. Does that make sense? I entered the ballot for London but didn't get in so now I'm thinking about Manchester in April (I know loads of people who've done it and they say it's fab) or maybe upgrading my Liverpool Half entry for May up to the full.

Before I commit to anything though I have a couple of niggles I want to get sorted - I have pain in my hip which is the result of problems with my piriformis and IT band. I *know* stretches which help this, I just need to actually do them :o And I went for a run on holiday and twinged my achilles so that's a worry as well. I've made an appointment with the physio for Thurs so I've got the ball rolling there.

Back to your original point on weight loss - running doesn't seem to help! Perhaps I eat more because I feel I've earned it, I definitely eat through stress. Anyway, as I mentioned, I have full paid-up gym membership so I'm going to start swimming again and do a bit of strength stuff too to tone up a bit (one of the holiday photos of my arms and shoulders was horrendous).

Wow sorry - don't get me talking about running! :rotfl::o

YESTERDAY'S LIST:

- Post birthday card - written but not posted
    - [STRIKE]Clear down inbox [/STRIKE]and respond to emails - still some to do
    - Unpack properly
    - [STRIKE]Washing[/STRIKE]
    - Wash up
    - [STRIKE]Order crochet hooks[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Order flowers[/STRIKE]

Spends were:
    £25.57 on crochet hooks and toy eyes (bought the eyes yo make it up to the free postage amount, cheaper than paying postage)
    £30.00 on flowers

:T Great start to organisation and frugality, well done me! :o

In fairness I was really knackered yesterday so I hope today will be a bit more productive:

- Wash up and clean kitchen
    - Do a Mother Hubbard inventory
    - Meal plan
    - Food shopping
    - Set up spend tracker app
    - Post birthday card
    - Write and post holiday postcards
    - Respond to emails
    - Unpack properly
    - More washing
    - Prepare Spanish class
    - Open post
    - Phone about job
    - Car - pump tyres, car wash, fill screen wash, clear out litter
    - Take coat to be re-zipped

I also want to look at my finances but I'm going to leave that til tomorrow when I have all day to concentrate on it.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    What an incredible amount to raise with your running!! Amazing.

• Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Thanks Bob (my dad's name, incidentally) - people were really generous.

Well, I've been feeling rough since the weekend but today I feel terrible. I woke up with a familiar painful condition that I always thought was mine alone as no-one ever seems to know what I'm talking about when I describe it, but when I googled "my face cavity is all dry and painful" I discovered it's actually dry sinuses. It seems the only thing that can really be done is steam your face then stick coconut oil up your nose so I've done both of those and the steam has relieved it a bit but I still feel rotten. Just deciding whether to soldier on or go back to bed. I don't actually have to do anything today if I don't want to.

Yesterday's to-dos weren't as productive as I'd hoped. When I have a lesson to plan like that, it tends to take up all my time as I faff on trying to make it as good as possible. This is why teaching was no good for me - planning and marking just took me forever as I'm not one of those people who can just say "that'll do". I enjoyed the class once I got there though, teaching adults is fab.

The trouble is the class is 7-9 and I was so busy with the lesson that I didn't eat a proper tea so I was starving by the time I drove home at 9.30, stopped at the garage and bought five chocolate doughnuts and ate them all :o Honestly what is the point of forcing myself to drink herbal teas all day to limit my sugar intake if I'm going to go and pull a stunt like that? :wall:

- [STRIKE]Wash up and clean kitchen[/STRIKE] - kitchen was briefly clean but not now
    - [STRIKE]Do a Mother Hubbard inventory[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Meal plan[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Food shopping[/STRIKE]
    - Set up spend tracker app
    - [STRIKE]Post birthday card[/STRIKE]
    - Write and post holiday postcards - half done
    - Respond to emails
    - Unpack properly
    - [STRIKE]More washing[/STRIKE]
    - [STRIKE]Prepare Spanish class[/STRIKE]
    - Open post
    - Phone about job
    - Car - pump tyres, car wash, fill screen wash, clear out litter
    - Take coat to be re-zipped

I think I'm going to take a coffee to bed and read a chapter of my book and see how I feel after that. I feel great from the shoulders down.
  • Bobarella
    Options
    Ouch your condition sounds extremely painful. Poor you.

Don't beat yourself up about the donuts. It's done now. Move on. It's the classic by not eating regularly you increase the chance of binging. But I often go hours between food so I know what it's like when you suddenly hit that wall and need to eat.

Get well soon.

(All the best people are called Bob)

• Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Well I have been in bed most of the day. Feeling better than I did this morning but still not great. I did get up around lunchtime and made a batch of soup so I have three portions of that in the freezer now which is pretty productive, though in my befuddled state I have used every utensil in the kitchen and they are all strewn about where I left them. I'm just having a bowl of cereal then going to take to my bed with my book.

I had an offer of some potential work which could see me through to Christmas quite comfortably so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that, hopefully I'll find out for definite by the end of the week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport