PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

Comments

• Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    I bought a 6.5L slow cooker and want to cook a gammon joint in it tomorrow - the joint is 1.5kg in weight, how do I do it? Is the gammon joint to small for the slow cooker. Can I put tatties/veg in - I have sat and looked at this slow cooker for days now, and I will not be intimidated any longer by it.

Pink/squeaky if you are reading this, the link on "is gammon any good in slow cooker" on the recipe thread is not working - I have reported it, but incase the link is not fixed I thought it ok to post a question.

Any help most appreciated.

Merlot
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
  • Sorry, i don't know the answer, but thought I would bump this up, someone must know the answer.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    I would just bung the joint in with a little water, you can't really overcook something in the SC so being small shouldn't affect it. I usually put veggies in with the meat and potatoes too but I dont think I would with gammon as I would find it too salty. I do save the stock though and use for lentil and bacon soup.
    You can't really go wrong with the SC...don't be scared!:D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi Merlot,

Thanks for the heads up re the link...That thread has been merged with another one so the url has changed. I'll sort it out shortly. and post the link for you below.

The gammon joint shouldn't be too small for your cooker as long as you add some liquid to it (which can be used for stock later). This is how I cook a gammon joint:

To help remove the salt from a gammon joint it's best to soak it in cold water overnight before cooking. If you don't have time for this, you can just put it into a pan with cold water and bring to the boil then discard the water before putting the gammon into the slow cooker.

Usually I just soak the night before and then put the gammon into the slow cooker with boiling water, chopped onion, some celery, a bay leaf, black peppercorns and a couple of carrots. This makes a great stock for lentil soup the next day. I know the instructions on your machine say you need to cover the joint but I never have. I usually only have the liquid coming about half way up the meat. Some people use apple juice, cider, cola etc instead of water, but then that has to be disgarded at the end of cooking.

If you want to be able to slice the gammon, make sure not to over cook it. In my old machine I would cook a 2lb gammon for about 5 hours, but it may take a little less time in the MR.

There are a couple of older threads that should help you (including the one you were looking for):

Gammon in the sc?

Gammon in a SC

I'll merge all three of these threads together later as it helps to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for your comments, especially Pink, I know you are busy on Wednesday evening with homework and scouts etc, your an angel, I really didn't expect you to reply this evening.

I just need a confidence boost - I was the same with my bread maker, and now I get perfect rolls, not mastered the bread its only good enough to throw at Mr Merlot when I catch him snoozing whilst I am talking to him from the kitchen.
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
  • Hi, Merlot! We do gammon in the SC often (DS says gammon is his favourite fish :confused::D ). I cook it in apple juice. there's then far too much liquid for gravy, so I use it to make lentil and bacon soup.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Loretta
    Loretta Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Merlot wrote: »
    I bought a 6.5L slow cooker and want to cook a gammon joint in it tomorrow - the joint is 1.5kg in weight, how do I do it? Is the gammon joint to small for the slow cooker. Can I put tatties/veg in - I have sat and looked at this slow cooker for days now, and I will not be intimidated any longer by it.

Pink/squeaky if you are reading this, the link on "is gammon any good in slow cooker" on the recipe thread is not working - I have reported it, but incase the link is not fixed I thought it ok to post a question.

Any help most appreciated.

Merlot

Basic way is a little water just to cover the bottom of the dish, put gammon in and cook for about 3 1/2 hours on high

When you have done this once you can then start doing all the other suggestions, I wouldn't think of cooking gammon any other way now
    Loretta
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Must agree to cooking in apple juice, wow, it's lovely!!!
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    4willow wrote: »
    Put the gammon in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, drain and rinse. Stand in Slo-Cooker and cover with boiling water. Cook for the 4-5 hours. Drain and allow to sool slightly before removing skin. Wrap tightly in kitchen foil or film. Put into refrigerator until well chilled. Coat fat with toasted breadcrumbs before serving.

Now how do you do toasted breadbrumbs? Just toast some bread and make crumbs lol im so thick its untrue.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • mancbird
    mancbird Posts: 503
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, I have a 700g gammon joint that I want to cook in my new slowcooker. What would be the best way to do it and how long should I cook it for?
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport