MSE News: Anglian Water SoLow customer? It's axing the tariff meaning bill hikes

Ken68
Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
Anglian Water SoLow tariff (for low users) is ending April 1st,
Being phased out over three years.
Customers will now pay a standing charge plus the normal rate.

Comments

• matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's still fractionally cheaper for me to stay on the SoLo this year, the cut over is about 70cu.m and we use about 66 but I suspect that next year I'll be better off on a standard tariff.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • bodacious
    bodacious Posts: 450 Forumite
    well I am really pee'd off because it will mean I an paying nearly 30% more in the next year (and as they steadily increase it to phase it out, heaven knows how much more with each succeeding year). With water charges allegedly coming down to have to face a nigh on 30% increase is bang out of order.

I only use 19 cubic metres of water per year so will be badly penalised for that under this new charging regime.

If any other utility company suddenly decided to charge you so much more on a tariff then you would switch to another provider PDQ but with water you have absolutely no choice, can't move and have to just let them charge you what the heck they want. I'm seething. :mad:
  • Ken68
    edited 17 March 2015 at 9:04PM
    http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/bills-and-payments/tariffs/standard-rates/

Because I use a lot of rainwater, rather than thru the meter, my bill will go up more than 3 times.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Frankly I could never understand the logic behind the SoLow tariff.
    To make sure all of our customers pay fair charges based on the actual costs to provide them the water and sewerage services they use, we are making some changes. This includes phasing out the SoLow tariff.

The lower charges for SoLow favours households with only 1 or 2 occupants, not necessarily households that are most water efficient. As more and more households become metered and manage their water consumption, the lower charges for smaller households cannot be justified.

Given the funding arrangements for water companies, it simply meant that any 'subsidy' SoLow customers enjoyed, was paid for by other customers.
  • Ken68
    edited 18 March 2015 at 9:39AM
    It was an incentive , Cardew, to reduce water usage in an area that has the least rain in the whole country.
    The recent demand from OFWAT to reduce charges hasn't helped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30444592
  • quisquis
    quisquis Posts: 13 Forumite
    Am I allowed to list my petition on 38 degrees here? Apparently not. Go to the 38 degrees site and search for fair-utility-bills
  • pencekeeper
    pencekeeper Posts: 156 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 March 2015 at 12:47PM
    I always get worried when I get a letter that starts with "we've been talking to our customers..."

It's always bad. I didn't release how bad it was going to be.

Funny how they didn't start with the truth. "In 12 days we are raising your water bill by 39.9%. The good news is though that it will get worse the year after and the year after that until it's at least 115.5% higher. Oh and you can't leave or switch."

(I'm basing those on the phased and then standard metered charges on their website which will of course be even worse in 2 years).

My household income was £2700 (self employed) last year. I really don't need 115% water bill increases.
  • fonesaver
    fonesaver Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ken68 wrote: »
    It was an incentive , Cardew, to reduce water usage in an area that has the least rain in the whole country.
    The recent demand from OFWAT to reduce charges hasn't helped.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30444592

I too am on this tariff and will see a massive increase.. Surely they should give customers a CHOICE. Why not increase the price of water (per cubic litre or whatever) to remove the subsidy and they give customers the option to stay or move to standard. Many Electricity/Gas companies do a no-standing charge tariff why not water??
  • Ken68
    Buy shares in Anglian Water is one answer, or pee in the nearest reservoir that feeds their HQ.
  • bodacious
    bodacious Posts: 450 Forumite
    It's time to complain. However when I asked AW for their complaints procedure I was told that they won't supply me with that information as a complaint of this nature would not be entertained at all because it is about policy and not service! :mad:

How arrogant can you get!!

So I have sent in a compaint here because I really don't see how they can get away with forcing such huge increases on people. The more who complain, the more it may get noticed (well I can live in hope :o)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure