A lighter life - Enough is Enough!

2»

Comments

• LittleLiz101
    LittleLiz101 Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2018 at 10:19PM
    Frustratingly still off work waiting for antibiotics to kick in. Annoyingly I've had to cancel social plans for the week - but trying to see the silver lining of the situation in that I won't be spending £80 on 2 theatre trips and a meal out (although was looking forward to them) which is probably a good thing as don't think I get paid for being off sick in new job.

Edited as no longer a NSD but for a good reason. Decided to try Virgin one more time before amending package. Have tried a few times over last month and been given various different prices for the same thing. Have decided to downgrade to a lower MBS as don't tend to get what I'm supposed to and the lower one is half the price of mine, and whilst it does have a cap (it will make me watch less TV!) if I go over it is a flat fee per month to make it unlimited and they give me a small buffer and a text if I'm near it - as this helped with my mobile usage figure it is worth a shot on the TV. i have looked at other providers but all require a new line putting in and I'd lose my current phone number so would rather not go down that route at the moment unless absolutely necessary. Originally it was £25 + £7 if go over. This afternoon and several times previously it has been £24pcm + £7.50 if I go over. This evening £21pcm + £7.50 if I go over. That brings it to similar to where I was looking if I moved providers for a slightly lower MBS but unlimited and would have the hassle of moving. Then managed to save a little more by paying for line rental up front (using cashback creditcard of course which I have immediately paid off from account but takes a further £1 off - every little helps). This means my monthly bill, if I stay within my limits, each month is £2 for the next 12 months. And because of when it falls in the month I now have a credit on my account which means it is now more or less paid for up until October which brings it to £18.33 per month as opposed to the £46 odd I was paying. I'll take that! Just goes to show it's worth trying a few times.

:beer::j
    Just keep swimming, swimming,
    swimming....
    :(
    [STRIKE]January 2018[/STRIKE] May 2018
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£44,517.14[/STRIKE]£42,818.79
    Unsecured debt: [STRIKE]£32,832.12[/STRIKE]£31,157.78
    NSD 2018: 56/200
  • Not a very productive weekend but have taken things a little easier as just recovered from being ill.

Now I've gone through all paperwork and balanced things off properly I have a full picture of where I am at:

Mortgage - £44,517.14
    Unsecured debts - £32,832.12

A bit worse than I thought but for the first time in ages I feel a bit more in control (which is odd as it is a little higher than I thought) - as I now know the full picture. I was also expecting things to be rough for about another 6 months as completely used all reserves up when I was out of work for 6 months last year - and with new job being 30% less than I was on I know things will take a little while to get back on track again.

But I have food in the cupboards and I'm already getting better with reducing food waste and utilising what I have - I have my meal plan for this week which I think I mostly have in the house already. So less temptation if I don't need to go to the supermarket.
    swimming....
  • A mixed couple of weeks - some no spend days but did have a dinner out and food shopping, and had to take the cat to the vet today as she wasn't well. But mostly have been things I was expecting like meds for the (very old) cat and bus pass.

Also, I need to be brutally honest, I fell off clothing wagon :( - but it was over finding a replacement of a dress I managed to shrink when I accidentally washed it :mad: and a handbag that had worn out - had been looking out for replacements for months as they were well loved favourites and I managed to get them secondhand (£50 for both instead of £500 if I had bought new (but would never justify spending that much!)- no justification I know but...). And I did buy a couple of (educational) books - although one was Dave Ramsey - a few people have recommended his approach to tackling debt.

However, now instead of eBay - I've mainly been obsessed with the Approved Food website - have only done a couple of orders since finding them and cupboards are stocked now. I need to unsubscribe from emails as I have found myself looking from some of the offers emailed.

Had a couple of nights out with work (on expenses) but did give rise to a couple of taxis that weren't budgeted for.

On a better note though, I got a payrise (I love my boss!) and so am feeling thoroughly appreciated (I have to say I work for the best company ever!).
    swimming....
  • The last couple of weeks have been up and down.

The up was a payrise at work :j Unfortunately I think this month any benefit of it will be eaten by being off sick earlier in the month, but silver linings, whilst my boss had mentioned it being looked at in Q1 pre-Christmas he did surprise me, which was really nice and said some nice things. So much better than previous job where there were lots of promises and no action.

The down was I'm feeling very frustrated at the moment - just feels like such a long way to go. Tried to look at restructuring debt but that was unfortunately a no-go at the moment. I'd hoped to lower some interest rates so I could throw more at debt but it is not to be for now. Just feel a little stretched, but I think that is because I have sat down and worked things out so I have the full picture but that light at the end of the tunnel feels very far away at the moment.

Read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover this weekend, and while I agree with a large part of his advice, not sure I totally agree with the order - I get the psychological aspect of it but it seems strange to ignore the higher interest rates. Still, I guess the good thing is it has made me feel a bit more focused and definitely need to put at least some of his points into action - the first being laser focus and to live like no one else to live like no one else - so eye on the prize - just got to keep thinking of how great the view will be from the top of the mountain.
    swimming....
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think a few people are feeling it's a long road at the moment - maybe the extended winter has something to do with it! You will get there, though: trust the process :).

What a lovely boss, by the way!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge - my boss is lovely (as is the rest of the team) he also insisted on paying a vet bill for my cat. I tried to avoid it as I felt like I was somehow taking the **** in accepting but he kept insisting and one of the other directors said that is just the sort of thing he does. And in all the bad weather he has tasked me with helping some homeless people - definitely got my karma after last job!
    swimming....
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I read some article on the internet recently that pointed out that employers largely keep or lose employees based on their relationship with their immediate boss. I bet it's rare for anyone to leave your company! What a super person.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • LittleLiz101
    LittleLiz101 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Frustrating start to the month. For the first month in over a year had enough over to pay off one overdraft (using as a buffer just in case, plus it was the highest interest rate), then this week the cat was ill resulting in £360 vet bill. Still have a little of the buffer left but now need to be mindful of further possible vet visits in coming weeks.

April was also slightly more expensive than budgeted for, but hopefully will get some overtime as was covering a colleague whilst they were on leave - so nearly 80 hours extra worked and late nights resulted in a fair few convenience foods, sandwiches and taxis.

Got plans to get things onto eBay tomorrow, so hopefully will get some results from that.
    swimming....
  • Very much up and down last six weeks. Very worried through May as more vet bills for elderly cat. Was very glad June pay came a few days early because of how bank holidays fell, then another vet bill the first week in June and more medication. Thankfully now it all seems to be working and hopefully no more vet visits for a few months until her next check up.

After all the vet bills, and the couple of things I had planned for my week off at the start of the month, and then a friend's wedding, I was looking at being pretty much to the wire for the rest of the month (which makes me worry more as there was nothing in case of emergencies), but then received payment from work for the cover I did, so that was a massive relief as it gave me back the emergency buffer that was spent on vet bills.

Sold one item on ebay, which was a little bit of a let down but I guess every little helps. And I did manage to take a few measurements and photos of other items to go on.

Overall feeling a little more positive the last week or so, now I have a bit of a buffer and the cat seems to be responding to treatment. Actually worked out that barring any emergencies I may be able to clear a small unsecured loan at the end of August once I'm paid. So fingers crossed.
    swimming....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing