Do Eco flush toilets save money?

2»

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    jack_pott wrote: »
    My water consumption went up 15% after I fitted a "water saving" toilet. You have to flush them 2, 3, sometimes even 4 times to get the pan to empty.

Just had this conversation with my elderly Dad & his new 'Dual Flush' toilet.......its crap.
    It replaced a double trap syphonic toilet that used to shift absolutely anything with one flush !!!
    :D:D
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary

My toilet is an old toilet probably from the 80’s, I was wondering if I invest in an eco flush toilet it would help save money on my water bill?

I have no idea how my water bill has gone up from £15 to £30 a month and even when I’ve called up my water company they just stated that’s how it is.
    Instead of changing the cistern try adding full 500ml plastic water bottles to it.

Did your water company state your usage has gone up, suggesting a leak, or that your payments have risen to cover costs and possibly previous underpayment.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    At my old flat i had "actual" usage for a bill when i was not in the flat for several months and it turned out i was being billed for a neighbours meter rather than my own - my bills pretty much halved once they had corrected it so my own meter was the one that got billed to my account as my neighbours flat had 2 people living in it instead of 1.
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Instead of changing the cistern try adding full 500ml plastic water bottles to it.

Did your water company state your usage has gone up, suggesting a leak, or that your payments have risen to cover costs and possibly previous underpayment.

I like that idea more than the brick, less chance of damaging anything and you can 'adjust' how much you remove from the flush more easily.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The dual flush toilets are adjustable for both amounts.

It sounds like that might help some people here.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    redux wrote: »
    The dual flush toilets are adjustable for both amounts.

It sounds like that might help some people here.

Thanks. Oh, I know that. Just you can't adjust it to flush more than 5 litres, if that is the capacity of the cistern. :)
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My water bill has been sky high! I live alone and do all the things on how to save money on my water bill!
    Even the most extreme things such as:
    -military showers(soap and rinse 5 mins)
    -showering at my gym
    -the whole “if it’s yellow let it mellow,if it’s brown flush it down”
    -I do not take baths only military showers
    -I do not use my dishwasher (I wash plates in sink etc)

My toilet is an old toilet probably from the 80’s, I was wondering if I invest in an eco flush toilet it would help save money on my water bill?

I have no idea how my water bill has gone up from £15 to £30 a month and even when I’ve called up my water company they just stated that’s how it is. My water is metered so how else can I save money on my water bill? Can I change my water provider I know this sounds dumb but again I’m one of those young property owners who has no clue nor parents to ask silly questions like this to!, any advice would be much appreciated!

Been there done that, got the badge, the tee shirt and the diploma. Before going away on holiday recently I read all my meters and submitted the readings. I did so because I recently moved in to my flat and I want to keep on top of the bills in the first year. On returning I found that according to my water meter I had been using water while I was away. My first thought was that someone else was using my water. So I called in a plumber who homed in on the toilet cistern and found that my cistern was overflowing and water was continually being lost down the waste pipe. A quick change of the ball-!!!! assembly and adjustment cured the problem.

So try lifting the lid off the cistern to see if your problem is the same as mine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure