Not enough skilled people!

I read from time to time that there are just not enough skilled people for the available jobs. My son in law who lives in Stoke on trent is a fully trained Army R.E.M.E engineer with project management qualifications as well as other add on's. He drives trucks to try and make ends meet, what a waste of talent. He has applied for hundreds of job's I might add through various agencies but after just a couple of phone interviews nothing. Come on G.B. you are wasting our off the shelf talent.
"Imagination is more Important than knowledge"

Comments

• Truck driving is a perfectly respectable job. What do you expect him to be doing? I don't think anyone is ever claiming that there aren't enough people with project management qualifications; you can barely move without stepping on one.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What "not enough skilled people" often means is 'not enough skilled people to do a skilled job at unskilled job wages' - or words to that effect.

Whether this is the fault of the employer for not paying enough, the employee for having unrealistic wage demands in the face of competition from immigrants or from overseas in a global labour market, or the fault of the government and the economy for meaning that the wage that is being offered isn't thought to be enough to live on really depends on your political point of view.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My son in law who lives in Stoke on trent is a fully trained Army R.E.M.E engineer with project management qualifications as well as other add on's.

He could become a mechanic as that seems to be where his experience lies. What jobs has he been applying for?
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Whether this is the fault of the employer for not paying enough

I'd always suggest it's the employers fault. If you can't get people at the salary you're offering then the fault will always lie with the people who are setting the salary. Similar goes for selling goods, if a business can't sell a product because it's priced too high you can't really blame the consumers for not being willing to pay it.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    He could become a mechanic as that seems to be where his experience lies. What jobs has he been applying for?

I'd always suggest it's the employers fault. If you can't get people at the salary you're offering then the fault will always lie with the people who are setting the salary. Similar goes for selling goods, if a business can't sell a product because it's priced too high you can't really blame the consumers for not being willing to pay it.

There goes the contradiction. If you price an item high and pay staff highly, then it doesn't sell. Price it low to get the sales, then you can't afford to pay staff.

On big contracts it's the customer that sets the price and then you have to make your business costs fit and unfortunately it's often the employee pay that a business has the most control over. Take my business - I have two main costs, fuel and driver pay. I can't control the price of diesel, I can control the driver's pay. (As it happens I'm in a niche market and pay above average).

I agree Gavin with the principle behind what you say, but it does depend on the profit margin of the company a lot, how much flexibility they have.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Do you know why he gets turned down OP? Is it that thee is something lacking in his qualifications/training that an additional course might help with? I'm wondering if what the Army teaches does not always translate into the commercial world?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You say your SIL had 2 telephone interviews, maybe he didn't do well in the interviews.

Applied for hundreds so is he tailoring the application ?

Has he tried sending speculative applications to employers who would have a need for his skills ?
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    What about if he has a really badly written CV or a bad attitude? When did having a qualification give entitlement to a lucrative career?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    The shout of "not enough skilled people" never actually identifies what there is a shortage of - and where that is.

It might be that the skills are for "robot engineers with 5 years post-graduate experience who live near London", or "microsurgeons for eye surgery with 10 years' post-PhD experience, who live near a major eye hospital".

Until "they" tell us what there's a shortage of and in which locations .... we'll all have to sit on our skills/experience thinking there are no jobs to use them.
  • Having a project management qualification is not exactly going to put him at the top of the pile since the main qualifications are a week long training course, and not too taxing. How many major projects has he delivered on? On paper he knows which end of a gantt chart is which, but does he have any demonstrable experience, if not he would have to start at the lowest level
  • Maybe just in the wrong part of the country.

I was watching interview vid's only other day and can totally resonate with something that was mentioned of being able to try seeing if like/can do jobs 'whilst in them', but, seems some parts of UK are different.

250 applications was one job for 16-18k, got to pity the person who had to whittle it down to 4 or so! Though they said they deliberately didn't run the ad in the summer time!

So it's right place, right time and all about the numbers. Genuiness of job.
    As much as skills.
    There is likeability to and if the person fits the culture to be considered.

I know someone from RN ended up self employed consultant - never worked for another employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure