HSBC voice recognition insecure?

2»

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you put on a good enough Mexican accent it won't ask you any questions at all.

Badum tish!
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 May 2017 at 10:44AM
    Remember Dark Star, the movie by John Carpenter?

They had to talk the bomb into ignoring the previous command to explode, which followed correct procedure
    Genuine users can't log in (First Direct example), fake users can(BBC Click example). It's a farce.

How do you get into a speakeasy? You say: "Antonio sent me." into a slot in the door. A lot like typing something into a Pop Up window, doesn't it? One thing is for sure, it's cheaper than having real people checking signatures and documents.

One of these days, they will say, the management takes no responsibility for your valuables. You leave your money with us at your on risk. You can buy insurance against theft, 2% a year please.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mt99 wrote: »
    You don't have to give your mother's real maiden name of course you can make one up and just use it ...

Ditto all the other publicly available data, First School, Second School, First Car etc. etc.

Do all banks accept crazy answers, though? In the Nineties I had to beat up the Halifax's Head of Savings to get this practice accepted.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    polymaff wrote: »
    Do all banks accept crazy answers, though? In the Nineties I had to beat up the Halifax's Head of Savings to get this practice accepted.

I once had an interesting conversation with a CSA who refused to accept the answer I gave for my mother's maiden name on the basis 'nobody would be called that' despite my answer exactly matching the stored answer. I was told I would be having my account passed to the fraud department because I had given false information. :eek: A polite request to speak to a manager quickly overcame the situation :D

The problem is many people do not realise they don't have to give a true answer to those questions, or are far too honest for their own good, which was why I was suggesting the banks could help by making the questions more generic - such as "The name of a school" rather than "Your first school".
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • polymaff
    EachPenny wrote: »
    ... I was suggesting the banks could help by making the questions more generic - such as "The name of a school" rather than "Your first school".

To be fair, some do - such as the Yorkshire Bank, who ask for things like a memorable place, film and meal.

Needless to say, my three answers have nothing to do with geography, cinematography - or scoff-ology :)
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    True.

Let me guess, the answer you've used for all three questions is your mother's maiden name? ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • polymaff
    edited 21 May 2017 at 3:48PM
    EachPenny wrote: »
    True.

Let me guess, the answer you've used for all three questions is your mother's maiden name? ;)
    polymaff wrote: »
    my three answers have nothing to do with geography, cinematography - or scoff-ology :)

... or ancestry :):)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport