IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

CPM Penalty Ticket Assistance Required

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That tactic should be used (the letter adapted) to robustly address the Managing Agents in all residential parking charge cases. Most MA's would panic, I suggest, but it is their own greedy fault.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    Yes I spent time on it with that in mind. It will need to be adapted according to the specific clauses in the lease, but it's a start for people trying to draft their own.
    About to do the one to the PPC which will be shorter because it won't have all the lease detail in it
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hairray wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Here's a copy of the LBC, this will be submitted to the Landowner, MC and UKCPM.

https://www.scribd.com/document/348651556/LBC-to-MC-Hairray

The letter was kindly composed by LoadsOfChildren123.

I am so grateful for everyones support on here.

Kindest Regards
    Yes I spent time on it with that in mind. It will need to be adapted according to the specific clauses in the lease, but it's a start for people trying to draft their own.
    About to do the one to the PPC which will be shorter because it won't have all the lease detail in it

It needs proof reading first before issuing. There are a few typos including "cannot not", (but I can't remember where ferzackerly it was.):o
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    It needs proof reading first before issuing. There are a few typos including "cannot not", (but I can't remember where ferzackerly it was.):o

There was also a 'hand' instead of 'had'.

Great piece of work LoC. TD has kindly said he'll look at it to see if he can improve it. :rotfl:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72566357#post72566357
    Post #12 :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    I've now done all 3 letters. All similar but slightly different.

They could be cut down, but some of the detail must stay in because it all links back to the wording in the lease. I'm concerned that too much editing by a non lawyer might dilute/change some of the legal points so some care is needed.

I've spent so much time on this now and need to do my day job..... I've asked hairray to post new links to them. There are bound to be some typos I missed.

These will be useful precedents for a lot of people. Residential parking is such a huge problem and I agree that the key is to pressurise the MC/Landowners and to make them see that this IS their problem.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • hairray
    hairray Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Hey everyone,

LoadsOfChildren123 has been a great help (as you all have) and has put together three letter before court for the management company, landowner and UKCPM themselves.

Links attached:

Landowner: https://www.scribd.com/document/348759691/LBC-to-Landowner

Management Company: https://www.scribd.com/document/348759692/LBC-to-MC

UKCPM: https://www.scribd.com/document/348759693/Lbc-to-Ukcpm
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Perfect templates for attacking residential scam PCNs.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Loadsofchildren123 Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 May 2017 at 9:39AM
    Options
    Obviously leases will vary in precise terms/wording, but these provisions will be broadly similar between different leases.

You have to look to see:

1. Is there a power to add further rules/regulations?

2. What is the exact wording of that power?

3. Is it defined in the definitions clause?

4. If not specifically defined, is there anything else in the wording or in other definitions that helps? for instance, in this lease there is the power to add "regulations" but this is not defined. The only defined "regulations" are regs which are set by the Landowner and the MC respectively, and these are generally prohibitions on doing things and none of them relate to the use of the parking space (there are some that relate to general parking on the estate) - look to see if you can say that the way these regs are drafted and defined means that .

5. Is there anything else in the clause that limits the regulations that can be introduced - in hairray's case there is the quiet enjoyment covenant - the Landowner's power to introduce regulations is not specifically cross-referred to that but that is because it doesn't need to be because it is the landowner already has that obligation, but there is specific wording saying the MC's power must not be exercised in a way which conflicts with the quiet enjoyment covenant.

6. Does the clause say what parts of the estate/flats these new regulations can apply to? In this lease it does say this, and hairray can use that definition to argue that any new regs cannot apply to his parking space, but only to the communal parking areas which exist.

7. Even where the lease grants the power, does it extend to imposing upon a leaseholder (and therefore also his tenant) a contractual relationship with a third party? So if it can be argued that there is the power to introduce a permit system, is there the power to impose a contract with a PPC which allows it to ticket you and pursue you for breach of contract? Very unlikely.

8. Again, even where the lease grants this power, does it give the Landowner/MC the power to make a specific charge for failure to comply with the new rule/regulation which is separate to the ground rent, service charge and any defined payment to the MC? Very unlikely - the only power to charge leaseholders anything at all will probably be in the Ground rent/service charge provisions.

9. So logically, even if the power exists, and even if it applies to the parking space, it is probably limited to imposing a permit system and does not extend to creating a third party contract nor to empowering charges to be issued against individual leaseholders for failure to comply.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    I've changed the letters very slightly. I've added in at para 17 this:

In any event, any new “regulations” amount to a variation of the lease and therefore must be executed in writing pursuant to section 2 of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989. A variation of the lease cannot be entered into either by notification being posted through my letterbox by UKCPM or by signage being installed by UKCPM.

I've made consequential amendments in other places of the letter referring to the fact that new regulations must be executed in writing between the Landlord/MC/leaseholder.

I've also corrected those typos (hand/had and the double negative cannot not) that Fruitcake and Umkomaas had found.

I would ideally have made these shorter, but it would take me another half a day to do that whilst ensuring that important points don't get lost. I admit there's a lot of repetition. But it's not going to do any harm. Hopefully the PPC will be frightened off.
  • Daniel_san
    Daniel_san Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to CM for pointing this thread out to me via my own ongoing saga with managing agents and PPC's (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5015782).

Thank you Loc for your time and effort to compile the letters, which I'm sure will be of great use to myself and others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure